NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Cool of ESPN to allow Hannah Storm to do that. I'm assuming that ESPN didn't mind as they have an financial interest in the NFL as well :ehh:

That still doesn't explain though whose footing the bill for producing those games. If the NFL gave the full TNF rights to Amazon, is Amazon producing those games or will the NFL be responsible for doing so? It's one thing to have commentators, but there's other production and presentation aspects as well.
NFL did have its own production team for the NFL Network when they were doing games by themselves
I'm assuming Amazon bought the whole package that included the NFL in house production team because games do have to look a certain way
Also the pandemic has taught these sports departments that we don't need to send everybody to the game just because
Andrea and Hanna can do every game from a studio in LA or NY with the NFL running the production from the game.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
NFL did have its own production team for the NFL Network when they were doing games by themselves
I'm assuming Amazon bought the whole package that included the NFL in house production team because games do have to look a certain way
Also the pandemic has taught these sports departments that we don't need to send everybody to the game just because
Andrea and Hanna can do every game from a studio in LA or NY with the NFL running the production from the game.

I figure with the rise of streaming services, leagues will use them as leverage to get close to the asking price that they're looking for. Just wonder will Disney allow ESPN to pay that type of bread to the NBA to keep the TV rights and if so, should we expect another round of layoffs here soon.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
:jbhmm:
What about DAZN in this NBA rights convo? I know they got smacked by the pandemic, but they’re already big in Europe and parts of Asia.

Since the NBA is so global and digital already, maybe DAZN’s move to get bigger in the US eventually rides on some NBA rights.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Exactly, plus imo the NBA should be planning for the day that the NFL bubble finally explodes. There’s gonna come a time when the sport might be untenable due to CTE. They should be strengthening their international brand while at the same time begin to chip away at the domestic audience through incremental measures like making youth basketball as viable as possible to give parents an alternative out of football. If basketball is attempting to go toe to toe with soccer internationally then why shouldn’t they do the same with the NFL at home?
They just have to keep growing internationally which is their super strength imo. The NFL tv deals are even bigger than the top Euro soccer leagues tv deals. I honestly don't see a problem with the NBA being #2 or #3 in the USA as they maintain their bigger footprint globally. White folks love football too much in America to overtake it. It's damn near a religion

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I figure with the rise of streaming services, leagues will use them as leverage to get close to the asking price that they're looking for. Just wonder will Disney allow ABC/ESPN to pay that type of bread to the NBA to keep the TV rights and if so, should we expect another round of layoffs here soon.
I think NBA would make it work with ESPN because they still need to be on a over the air network
I don’t think the NBA is ready for the NBA Finals to be solely on Amazon or Apple TV
They will just add Amazon or Apple to the family with TNT/ESPN to get more cash

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
:jbhmm:
What about DAZN in this NBA rights convo? I know they got smacked by the pandemic, but they’re already big in Europe and parts of Asia.

Since the NBA is so global and digital already, maybe DAZN’s move to get bigger in the US eventually rides on some NBA rights.

Do they have the capital to put up for that?

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Exactly, plus imo the NBA should be planning for the day that the NFL bubble finally explodes. There’s gonna come a time when the sport might be untenable due to CTE. They should be strengthening their international brand while at the same time begin to chip away at the domestic audience through incremental measures like making youth basketball as viable as possible to give parents an alternative out of football. If basketball is attempting to go toe to toe with soccer internationally then why shouldn’t they do the same with the NFL at home?

I expect the NBA to add two more teams via expansion. Which will be the Seattle Sonics and whatever the Las Vegas team will be.

The new TV deal combined with the expansion fees from the two new teams would bring in more money.

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
NBA Needs a universal schedule. All teams play Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

Make the marquee Sunday game 6pm eastern so the game finishes up before Sunday Night Football during football season. With this schedule, you also dont have to compete with college football, Monday Night football or Thursday night football. Three games a week makes the regular season 27 weeks, basically 6 1/2 months (mid October- end of April) without a single b2b and you can still play 82. It allows fans to really embrace a schedule. Right now its too random.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Do they have the capital to put up for that?
Not sure, but with Kevin Mayer as the chairman now - former Disney exec who helped put ESPN+ and Disney+ together - DAZN could be in position to do so when it’s time to start negotiating offers...especially if the NBA chooses to split rights between several companies.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I expect the NBA to add two more teams via expansion. Which will be the Seattle Sonics and whatever the Las Vegas team will be.

The new TV deal combined with the expansion fees from the two new teams would bring in more money.
I'm not sure the league will expand til they know for sure the teams they have are in stable situations in regards to ownership. In other words, why put up 2 teams in 2 new markets when you still have teams up for sale?

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I'm not sure the league will expand til they know for sure the teams they have are in stable situations in regards to ownership. In other words, why put up 2 teams in 2 new markets when you still have teams up for sale?

I thought the T'Wolves were the only team for sale?

How many more teams are for sale?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
1. The NBA ain't ever passing the NFL in this country. Anomaly or not the NBA pretty much already peaked with the Jordan years. Its never gonna be bigger than that.
The NFL bubble aint cracking. Too much of the country revolves round it. CTE got ate up like scooby snacks and passed along.

2. The reason why basketball will never be the number one option to replace football amongst parents is A. Sheer roster size. Your kid gets to make the team almost their entire life up until maybe HS. Basketball have too many kids getting cut. B. Aggressive kids need an outlet and thats football. C. Height discrimination. As long as tall kids have it automatically easier there'll always be a large group of the population that aint gon waste their time with that discrimatory game. Where as the kang sport let's everyone of all sizes play.

1. You might be right on the CTE thing but that remains to be seen imo. As for the other part I disagree, Jordan was certainly a flash in the pan but it would be foolish to assume that the NBA can’t continue to grow from here. It’s already #2 globally as is.

2. Other than roster size and height, the other parts aren’t relevant. Besides, I’m thinking more in terms of how the best athletes veered away from sports like Boxing and went to football/basketball more. Zion could’ve played football but chose basketball. The NBA strategy should be to try to get to those kinda athletes early on if possible.

I’m just sayin, the NBA is a business. Just because the NFL is king right now doesn’t mean the NBA should act like a vassal. They should always be looking to get better than the competition. Shooting to be the best should always be the goal.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Someone brought it up before in the past, but it would be cool if the NBAtv app was better. In a perfect world, it’d be a cheap add on to Netflix or YouTube. Or it’d even have its own shyt developed in that kinda fashion. I should be able to watch live games as well as watch old games all within the app. Not sure if League Pass has that feature but shyt like that would help out a lot especially if it’s affordable.