NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The only thing is that the NFL and the NHL have more consistent fanbases than the NBA. NHL is a niche market. They don't have casuals, and NFL is embedded in American culture. NBA fanbase is shaky and trendy. It doesn't help hat they haven't even pegged the next superstar nd face of the league. They're nowhere near behind ZIon, as they were for Lebron or the "Heir to His Airness"

Over/Under 42B
NBA is shown in over 200 plus countries as its the #2 sport behind soccer worldwide though. NFL is strictly an American institution with fans in Canada and Mexico. They'll always score massive tv deals that puts them over the top of everything no matter what. But actual growth of the sport is another topic.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
They won’t get half of that

They're not getting that. At most I see a 40% increase, up to 40B. The only way I see them getting a 300% increase is if they give up all future rights for any broadcast., and much more.

Their argument hurts them - "global appeal and younger demo".
They will probably get more, just because Amazon, Apple, Peacock, Facebook, YouTube, etc are in play.

IDGAF what the agreement is just PLEASE go back to nba triple headers on the weekends and simulcast NBA playoff coverage on tnt and tbs. That's what I want. Also for nbc to get the rights back but marv is washed now, bill a hippie and snapper is in snapper heaven. I don't think costas would do it anymore. Or have costas do those pre game monologues oh lawd
Leave the 90s. Why would you want simulcast games when you can do that now with League Pass? You can do triple headers too. The world is different.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
NBA is shown in over 200 plus countries as its the #2 sport behind soccer worldwide though. NFL is strictly an American institution with fans in Canada and Mexico. They'll always score massive tv deals that puts them over the top of everything no matter what. But actual growth of the sport is another topic.

Exactly, plus imo the NBA should be planning for the day that the NFL bubble finally explodes. There’s gonna come a time when the sport might be untenable due to CTE. They should be strengthening their international brand while at the same time begin to chip away at the domestic audience through incremental measures like making youth basketball as viable as possible to give parents an alternative out of football. If basketball is attempting to go toe to toe with soccer internationally then why shouldn’t they do the same with the NFL at home?

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
It worked last time when ESPN and TNT overpaid for the rights in spite of essentially competing with themselves. They could just move the content and games to ESPN+, which they seem to be doing with everything else.

The only problem is that they can't have their cake and eat it too. You can't be stripping content and sending it towards your streaming apps, yet still expect cable providers to pay the outrageous charges and fees that these companies expect.
Right. Idk anything about espn + but if its anything like watchespn its useless cause of horrible lagging and freezing. That shyt def aint gon work.
Youtube is right up their alley tho. Cause kids these days don't watch anything that aint on youtube.
Nba gon get close to what they want cause espn needs content but they gonna severely overpay for the league like they overpay for everything. The downfall of being a sports only network :pachaha:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Right. Idk anything about espn + but if its anything like watchespn its useless cause of horrible lagging and freezing. That shyt def aint gon work.
Youtube is right up their alley tho. Cause kids these days don't watch anything that aint on youtube.
Nba gon get close to what they want cause espn needs content but they gonna severely overpay for the league like they overpay for everything. The downfall of being a sports only network :pachaha:

That actually brings up another point that I've curious about. I asked it in the NFL thread, but i'll do it again here.

Just who exactly is going to produce/commentate these sports games if streaming services ever decide to fully buy the rights to them? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of an Amazon, Apple or Youtube buying the rights if the sporting leagues still have to foot the bill for producing the games along with providing commentary? lol

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Exactly, plus imo the NBA should be planning for the day that the NFL bubble finally explodes. There’s gonna come a time when the sport might be untenable due to CTE. They should be strengthening their international brand while at the same time begin to chip away at the domestic audience through incremental measures like making youth basketball as viable as possible to give parents an alternative out of football. If basketball is attempting to go toe to toe with soccer internationally then why shouldn’t they do the same with the NFL at home?

1. The NBA ain't ever passing the NFL in this country. Anomaly or not the NBA pretty much already peaked with the Jordan years. Its never gonna be bigger than that.
The NFL bubble aint cracking. Too much of the country revolves round it. CTE got ate up like scooby snacks and passed along.

2. The reason why basketball will never be the number one option to replace football amongst parents is A. Sheer roster size. Your kid gets to make the team almost their entire life up until maybe HS. Basketball have too many kids getting cut. B. Aggressive kids need an outlet and thats football. C. Height discrimination. As long as tall kids have it automatically easier there'll always be a large group of the population that aint gon waste their time with that discrimatory game. Where as the kang sport let's everyone of all sizes play.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
That actually brings up another point that I've curious about. I asked it in the NFL thread, but i'll do it again here.

Just who exactly is going to produce/commentate these sports games if streaming services ever decide to fully buy the rights to them? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of an Amazon, Apple or Youtube buying the rights if the sporting leagues still have to foot the bill for producing the games along with providing commentary? lol
Amazon actually had their own broadcasting team last season with Andrea Kramer and Hannah Storm

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I think one of the Fox regional networks uses it

whomever holds the rights/publishing won. usually the Networks own that shyt. Kinda shocked to hear it.

maybe john tesh owns the rights to the song afterall.
Tesh does own it and was asked why the NBA/ABC doesn't use it anymore and he said they didn't want to pay for the rights
Big FOX uses it for their NCAA games also. I heard it during the Big 10 tournament last week

John Tesh on the enduring legacy of 'Roundball Rock': 'It’s fun for me to watch it take on its own life'
ABC, when they got (the NBA), we went to them and said, “If you want to use the theme, I own the publishing.”

They said, “We’re looking for a different sound.”

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Amazon actually had their own broadcasting team last season with Andrea Kramer and Hannah Storm

Cool of ESPN to allow Hannah Storm to do that. I'm assuming that ESPN didn't mind as they have an financial interest in the NFL as well :ehh:

That still doesn't explain though whose footing the bill for producing those games. If the NFL gave the full TNF rights to Amazon, is Amazon producing those games or will the NFL be responsible for doing so? It's one thing to have commentators, but there's other production and presentation aspects as well.

Just curious about it since a lot of this tech companies with streaming services got the bread to compete with the sporting networks.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC

Eh thats not really that huge of an issue tbh.
With the NFL if you're doing 1 game a week you only need 1 truck, 1 set of cameras, 1 crew of people. Once you pay upfront you done paying for it all.
NBA kinda the same if you're talking about the national game package, 1 crew 1 set of cameras. Probably 2 if each for double headers.
And for every other game you just do a streaming rights deal with the local broadcast.
I know that kills NBA TV but fukk it its a money pit anyway.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Eh thats not really that huge of an issue tbh.
With the NFL if you're doing 1 game a week you only need 1 truck, 1 set of cameras, 1 crew of people. Once you pay upfront you done paying for it all.
NBA kinda the same if you're talking about the national game package, 1 crew 1 set of cameras. Probably 2 if each for double headers.
And for every other game you just do a streaming rights deal with the local broadcast.
I know that kills NBA TV but fukk it its a money pit anyway.

Makes sense :ehh:

I know NFL Network broadcasts are rather lower tier compared to other sporting networks, so was just curious how it would work.