NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
This tells me that the NBA is going to have Turner continue its role as its anchor they’ve had since 1989.

Disney (ESPN/ABC) will in all likelihood be in strong position to retain its package for a big increase.

But if Disney is in a situation like the NHL is currently with with NBC, they may balk at having to pay way more for less content.

I expect FOX to get in with the NBA. They were interested when the last rights deal was done at a preliminary stage.

Comcast/NBC is not getting NBA back. They’re probably gonna keep the NHL. They may lose Premier League. They are now spending about $800M more for the NFL in the next deal. Also, NBCSN is done.

CBS is a sleeper. They lost the NBA in 1990. They also will lose the SEC. They have NCAA basketball rights on lock with TNT/TBS/TruTV. But they also are going to be paying way more for NFL.

Basically, the NBA will probably have 3 broadcast networks in the next deal to get that $$$ rolling.

Last edited:

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IDGAF what the agreement is just PLEASE go back to nba triple headers on the weekends and simulcast NBA playoff coverage on tnt and tbs. That's what I want. Also for nbc to get the rights back but marv is washed now, bill a hippie and snapper is in snapper heaven. I don't think costas would do it anymore. Or have costas do those pre game monologues oh lawd
:ohhh::wow: Bob Costas monologues...

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
This tells me that the NBA is going to have Turner continue its role as its anchor they’ve had since 1989.

Disney (ESPN/ABC) will in all likelihood be in strong position to retain its package for a big increase.

But if Disney is in a situation like the NHL is currently with with NBC, they may balk at having to pay way more for less content.

I expect FOX to get in with the NBA. They were interested when the last rights deal was done at a preliminary stage.

Comcast/NBC is not getting NBA back. They’re probably gonna keep the NHL. They may lose Premier League. They are now spending about $800M for the NFL in the next deal.

CBS is a sleeper. They lost the NBA in 1990. They also will lose the SEC. They have NCAA basketball rights on lock with TNT/TBS/TruTV. But they also are going to be paying way more for NFL.

Basically, the NBA will probably have 3 broadcast networks in the next deal to get that $$$ rolling.
CBS production is the WOAT, no thanks. Fox would be nice if Gus Johnson is the lead call guy for marquee games

TNT needs to tell Marv to retire and make Harlan the clear #1

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
I wonder if they do like the NFL and try to expand it to include multiple networks. I basically see this as the NBA trying to recoup their losses from the pandemic.
I hope they do. NBA got too many games to have less networks covering it than the NFL. shyt doesn't exactly make sense to me

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
CBS production is the WOAT, no thanks. Fox would be nice if Gus Johnson is the lead call guy for marquee games

TNT needs to tell Marv to retire and make Harlan the clear #1
And if it’s on FOX, they’re using Roundball Rock now :troll:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
1. You might be right on the CTE thing but that remains to be seen imo. As for the other part I disagree, Jordan was certainly a flash in the pan but it would be foolish to assume that the NBA can’t continue to grow from here. It’s already #2 globally as is.

2. Other than roster size and height, the other parts aren’t relevant. Besides, I’m thinking more in terms of how the best athletes veered away from sports like Boxing and went to football/basketball more. Zion could’ve played football but chose basketball. The NBA strategy should be to try to get to those kinda athletes early on if possible.

I’m just sayin, the NBA is a business. Just because the NFL is king right now doesn’t mean the NBA should act like a vassal. They should always be looking to get better than the competition. Shooting to be the best should always be the goal.

Global popularity is irrelevant in this conversation.
And all that stuff is relevant as to why folks play football and will continue to have a huge following.
The NBA knows its place thats why they do whatever they can to avoid going head to head with the NFL at all cost.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Global popularity is irrelevant in this conversation.
And all that stuff is relevant as to why folks play football and will continue to have a huge following.
The NBA knows its place thats why they do whatever they can to avoid going head to head with the NFL at all cost.

How is it irrelevant? If you can potentially get a global bag while playing in a league where your contract is guaranteed that’s pretty relevant. Also, there are way more Pro Basketball leagues in the world than there are Pro Football leagues so that’s another plus with having a bigger job market.

Eventually one and done will be voted out so that again brings another plus and the overseas route and the G League has already provided another angle coming out of high school. This in comparison with the years of free labor that a football player surrenders in college would make for a more attractive option. If a parent is smart, they’d have their kid basketball heavy but still do football, baseball, and track for other important skills that those sports develop.

Like I said, just cuz the NBA isn’t king doesn’t mean it has to play or think small. NFL would’ve never overtaken baseball and boxing if it had used the logic you’re suggesting.

Last edited: