NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
It's no way that ESPN can be throwing/will have to throw all this bread around towards sports and not have another layoff looming on the horizon. Especially considering that Disney has been bleeding money themselves from the pandemic.

I wonder is there a certain price point to where Disney would tell ESPN not to match.

Last edited:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Like all sports leagues they gon play ESPN like some gumps. They gonna take a huge number to em and say pay or go we bouncing elsewhere even tho there really is no elsewhere but espn needs them more than they need espn.

But here's the thing that might hurt them, TV numbers are down for everyone across the board no matter who because of streaming. NBA has the youngest audience which could be seen as a plus, but I view it as a negative. The younger you are the less likely you'll pay for the espn package. So what they have to figure out (along with everyone else) is how do I turn these clicks and repost into actual paying customers of the product on cable.
Short quick dirty answer-you aren't.

So while you can say we have the largest demographic from 18-35 thats great but the percentage of the demo thats going to pay for what you provide is small and it's getting smaller by the year.

The NBA's smartest move would be a huge youtube TV deal to actually be able to get a great chunk of their audience because thats where their audience is.
But nobody is gonna desperately throw cash at them like espn will

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Like all sports leagues they gon play ESPN like some gumps. They gonna take a huge number to em and say pay or go we bouncing elsewhere even tho there really is no elsewhere but espn needs them more than they need espn.

But here's the thing that might hurt them, TV numbers are down for everyone across the board no matter who because of streaming. NBA has the youngest audience which could be seen as a plus, but I view it as a negative. The younger you are the less likely you'll pay for the espn package. So what they have to figure out (along with everyone else) is how do I turn these clicks and repost into actual paying customers of the product on cable.

So while you can say we have the largest demographic from 18-35 thats great but the percentage of the demo thats going to pay for what you provide is small and it's getting smaller by the year.

The NBA's smartest move would be a huge youtube TV deal to actually be able to get a great chunk of their audience because thats where their audience is.

It worked last time when ESPN and TNT overpaid for the rights in spite of essentially competing with themselves. They could just move the content and games to ESPN+, which they seem to be doing with everything else.

The only problem is that they can't have their cake and eat it too. You can't be stripping content and sending it towards your streaming apps, yet still expect cable providers to pay the outrageous charges and fees that these companies expect.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I wonder if they do like the NFL and try to expand it to include multiple networks. I basically see this as the NBA trying to recoup their losses from the pandemic.

I swear this is all I want. After football season NBA should take over all national networks for the weekend and let the weekdays be cable based. Basically do Saturdays like the NFL Sundays on two National networks (CBS/Fox) in the afternoon showing regional/conference matchups and Saturday night on ABC like SNF with the marquee. Then Sundays do it like the traditional NBA slate of big games, maybe have NBC do that or have them split it with ABC. Leave the weekdays on cable alone and bam. Would spread the league out in multiple ways.

If they did this, some rule changes to fix certain issues in the game, and a big expansion/movement of teams to make the East and West conferences split down the Mississippi with highly competitive divisions. I swear the NBA would be beyond lit. :wow:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
The only thing is that the NFL and the NHL have more consistent fanbases than the NBA. NHL is a niche market. They don't have casuals, and NFL is embedded in American culture. NBA fanbase is shaky and trendy. It doesn't help hat they haven't even pegged the next superstar nd face of the league. They're nowhere near behind ZIon, as they were for Lebron or the "Heir to His Airness"

Over/Under 42B

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown

Gotta remember, that latest NBA deal was done under a different exec regime at ESPN, and Disney has taken over since.

They’re now making savvy decisions with downsizing MLB regular season soon, picking up NHL for a bargain, adding SEC to their monster CFB lineup and getting the best return for the money with the NFL renewal.

Would not be shocked if they decided to downsize on NBA regular season the way they’re about to do with MLB.

NBA is at its strongest in the digital space. Not sure how they’re going about those digital rights, but that’s where their biggest advantage is...especially in regular season.

fifth column

Superstar
Daps

This is the diamond in the rough:clap:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
also, ABIL has no business puting the 5'7 dude on the floor. there are better players on the team, i dont care if he is a senior