NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Yea I listened to this interview, Costas is an old school TV guy that always sees OTA>cable especially when comes to sports. He’s not necessarily wrong, but the NBA did just fine being a cable sport after leaving NBC. But, I do believe they have a bigger OTA presence in their next TV deal looking at how cable sub number continue to diminish and that it’s no longer strong presence overall.
I mean shyt, NBA was already heavily on cable during the Jordan years anyway. TBS/TNT during the week, NBC on the weekends which is how it's been since they left anyway, just with ESPN filling the TBS role and ABC in NBC's place

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
I mean shyt, NBA was already heavily on cable during the Jordan years anyway. TBS/TNT during the week, NBC on the weekends which is how it's been since they left anyway, just with ESPN filling the TBS role and ABC in NBC's place

True, but there was a lot more games OTA during the NBC era than they are now, especially in the playoffs. The original deal ESPN/ABC signed leaned heavily towards ESPN and that’s why they won it over NBC.

Last edited:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
CFP is expanding to 12 teams, having that and NFL is more than enough. I’m tired of ESPN having every sporting event

They are likely aren’t keeping full control of the CFP with it expanding to 12 teams, those quarterfinal games aren’t gonna be that valuable. They will easily let those go to a FOX, NBC, CBS, or a streamer. As long as they keep the semifinals and finals for half or all the years, they are ok. They definitely want to keep the NBA, look at the content and shows they have on the NBA. Coupled that it’s a strong ratings getter all year whether it’s games or events, no chance Disney loses the NBA.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
CFP is expanding to 12 teams, having that and NFL is more than enough. I’m tired of ESPN having every sporting event
Add the Bundesliga, La Liga, the NHL and MLB to that as well

ESPN needs to give up that ish, especially when it's perceived that they're a cable version of the NFL Network

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
This shyt can get ugly some day. Imagine needing 5 or 6 different services just to watch games

I agree breh, me personally, I hope, and I know it's business, but I hope the NBA works out deals with NBC(they were better than ABC), TNT, and ESPN of course.

But I don't want to have to have Amazon or Apple to watch the NBA, and the NBA is my favorite sport