NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
There's some things to unpack here. Kinda sounds like he could want there to be a multicast structure where consumers can pick the programming they want to watch.

He just put it out there that Inside the NBA should be the official show of the NBA and everybody should be able to access it. Live Stream via YouTube while it's airing on cable???
I don’t think TNT or Discovery has the money for this. Sounds like the NBA would want to own inside the NBA if given a chance.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
There's some things to unpack here. Kinda sounds like he could want there to be a multicast structure where consumers can pick the programming they want to watch.

He just put it out there that Inside the NBA should be the official show of the NBA and everybody should be able to access it. Live Stream via YouTube while it's airing on cable???
well a big complaint has been that Inside the NBA should just be on regardless of the network, which sounds great in theory but tough to pull off. The closest thing we have to that is A-Rod does color commentary for ESPN but during the playoffs and all-star events is on FOX.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
well a big complaint has been that Inside the NBA should just be on regardless of the network, which sounds great in theory but tough to pull off. The closest thing we have to that is A-Rod does color commentary for ESPN but during the playoffs and all-star events is on FOX.
That could be something negotiated for. Maybe if the lower the price so many games would be called on other networks or more likely other networks would just be able to tap into their feed. Especially if they say add a Disney + package. So in addition to NBA TV you can watch the feed of any TNT game that inside the NBA covers. Anything can be negotiated for and if Silver drops the overall price those networks will listen.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
This is probably what I think the next TV deal will be

Mondays - NBA TV games (Streaming on the NBA App and MAX since Warner Brothers Discovery operates NBA TV)
Tuesday 7:30 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - TNT (Streaming simultaneously on MAX)
Wednesday 7 PM ET and 9:30 PM ET - ESPN (Streaming simultaneously on ESPN+)
Thursday 8 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - TNT (Streaming simultaneously on MAX)
Friday 8 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - Amazon Prime or NBC via Peacock taking over the ESPN Friday night slot?

After the Super Bowl:
Saturday 5:30 PM ET & 8 PM ET - ABC
Sunday 3 PM ET, 5:30 PM ET, & 8 PM ET - NBC (Streaming simultaneously on PEACOCK)

Honestly I think TNT might only be on once a week in a new TV deal to cut costs. I think this where I could see it playing out:

TNT: gets a game a week on Tuesdays (possibly some exclusive games on MAX)

ESPN: gets a game a week on Wednesdays with some exclusive games on ESPN +

Amazon: gets a game a week on Thursdays starting in January as a perfect follow-up to Thursday Night Football

ABC: maintains Saturday Night Showcase with some weeks with doubleheaders starting at 3:30

NBC: gets games on Sunday afternoon (possibly doubleheaders) with Fridays on Peacock and USA Network

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
part of that is because we don't really wanna see basketball anywhere else outside of TNT and NBC. They'd have to have Roundball Rock, Inside the NBA and Mike Breen & Kevin Harlan calling games for us to feel like progress was made.

and it's not so much that the other networks go all out. It's that they're the most willing to talk about the sport. NFL Network weaves in the best balance between talking about the sport and being gossipy. MLB Network will do a segment on Kyle Freeland's fastball and shyt. It's perfect background noise if you wanna catch highlights or local coverage. They don't spend much on that channel because it's the channel hoops fans need, but not want and the stuff fans want pops up in Woj and Shams tweets.

What I would say is that they should look to some of these content creators doin their thing online, but that's what led to The Starters and y'all lamed out on them.

What hoops fans need: why some of these role players are so critical to the Nuggets and Heat.

what hoops fans want: how are we getting Embiid to the Lakers?
Cut that "We" and "Ya'll" sh*t out bro. You're going overboard with the projecting. And you pretty much just reiterated what I said about how MLB and the NFL networks go into more depth and coverage. And its not just them going into depth, their production, sets, studios, graphics, camera work, etc. is all top notch and state of the art. Those leagues put way more time, budget, and care into their networks so nobody has a problem watching a game on there when it comes down to it. But in the end they're just showing the local feed from the home team's broadcast just like the NBA Channel does but their whole entire packed is better and seamless so there's no or less complaints.

I have Sirius XM and the NBA Radio channel on there goes deep DEEP in depth on the entire league just like how the MLB & NFL Networks do. In a worst case scenario, and on the cheap tip, The NBA Channel could easily set up cameras and simulcast the RIck Kamla/Antonio Daniels and the Eddie Johnson/Justin Termaine Shows in the mornings and afternoons and give the NBA fans more news and depth than just LeBron and the Lakers. The cheap, quick, and easy solutions are there if they don't want to do programming. But for some reason a light bulb never goes off with the league regarding the NBA Network. And for the record there's been a ton of talk on the undrafted Miami Heat players and how well they're playing.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Honestly I think TNT might only be on once a week in a new TV deal to cut costs. I think this where I could see it playing out:

TNT: gets a game a week on Tuesdays (possibly some exclusive games on MAX)

ESPN: gets a game a week on Wednesdays with some exclusive games on ESPN +

Amazon: gets a game a week on Thursdays starting in January as a perfect follow-up to Thursday Night Football

ABC: maintains Saturday Night Showcase with some weeks with doubleheaders starting at 3:30

NBC: gets games on Sunday afternoon (possibly doubleheaders) with Fridays on Peacock and USA Network
I forgot about USA Network :mjlol:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
With the number of times Chuck jokes about working too much as is, the crew probably doesn't want to increase their workload. They would go from working 2 nights a week to 4 adding in the nationally televised games to their production schedule

They have good talent however... Inside the NBA's alternative crew is better than ESPN's main one so idk.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don’t think TNT or Discovery has the money for this. Sounds like the NBA would want to own inside the NBA if given a chance.
Has the money for what? They already upload clips from Inside the NBA to YouTube now. I'm just saying if the goal is to have more fans watching Inside the NBA live, they can live stream it to a platform. I said YouTube, because the NBA is already a partner with Google.

The games will still be based on paywalls of course, but I don't see there being too much of a lift to stream it to another platform.

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
:ohhh:Who’s going to the first $100 mil a season player.

:gladbron:

:wow:

latest

2legit

Superstar
Daps
Not fair here. The NFL and MLB Networks go all out and have top of the line production in every facet of their channels from the games, to the highlight shows to their other programming, etc. NBA TV is pretty much the Spirt Airlines of sports channels and the crazy thing is their tv set is right next door to TNT's Inside the NBA set. They don't have any programming other than NBA Tonight after the games are over. Even their graphics and displays seem to be from the 90's. I watch games on NBA TV with no problems but everyone knows that channel could be a beast but they seem to not spend a dime on that channel. I'm shocked that in the year of 2023 they don't even have their own "First Take" type show every day of the week, and that type of show cost nothing to make. Even Camron & Mase made a sports debate show before these dudes
You are not wrong about the NBA TV graphics. I feel like their graphics are on par with the 2000 ESPN Fast Break with Fred Carter era. All of their graphics especially the ones with the box score look like they copied that shyt from 20 years ago and never updated.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Not fair here. The NFL and MLB Networks go all out and have top of the line production in every facet of their channels from the games, to the highlight shows to their other programming, etc. NBA TV is pretty much the Spirt Airlines of sports channels and the crazy thing is their tv set is right next door to TNT's Inside the NBA set. They don't have any programming other than NBA Tonight after the games are over. Even their graphics and displays seem to be from the 90's. I watch games on NBA TV with no problems but everyone knows that channel could be a beast but they seem to not spend a dime on that channel. I'm shocked that in the year of 2023 they don't even have their own "First Take" type show every day of the week, and that type of show cost nothing to make. Even Camron & Mase made a sports debate show before these dudes

You are not wrong about the NBA TV graphics. I feel like their graphics are on par with the 2000 ESPN Fast Break with Fred Carter era. All of their graphics especially the ones with the box score look like they copied that shyt from 20 years ago and never updated.

i've been complaining about NBA TV's graphics and studio setup for years. seems like they stopped investing in the network once those big layoffs and cuts hit Turner a few years ago when they start going through the mergers. NBA TV seems to have been hanging on by a thread for years now and might only exist because the NBA needs to keep it alive.

hope things change soon now that "Warner Bros. Discovery" is starting to settle in a bit and when the new NBA media rights deal starts in 2025.