NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
5:00 minutes in

Costas continues to talk about the NBA being on cable diminishing the greatness of players like LeBron, Jokic, Butler :mjlol:

@Thavoiceofthevoiceless @K-Apps

Yea I listened to this interview, Costas is an old school TV guy that always sees OTA>cable especially when comes to sports. He’s not necessarily wrong, but the NBA did just fine being a cable sport after leaving NBC. But, I do believe they have a bigger OTA presence in their next TV deal looking at how cable sub number continue to diminish and that it’s no longer strong presence overall.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Costas continues to talk about the NBA being on cable diminishing the greatness of players like LeBron, Jokic, Butler :mjlol:

Hes spot on.

I loved what the Suns owner did.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Yea I listened to this interview, Costas is an old school TV guy that always sees OTA>cable especially when comes to sports. He’s not necessarily wrong, but the NBA did just fine being a cable sport after leaving NBC. But, I do believe they have a bigger OTA presence in their next TV deal looking at how cable sub number continue to diminish and that it’s no longer strong presence overall.
Agreed. Costas will be called out of touch but there's something to be said about basic network access. There's a reason the NFL is still on Fox, CBS, NBC, and ABC. I remember when MNF moved to ESPN because we didn't have cable at the time. It sucked.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Got damn this is a bidding war sheesh.

Depends on how much the split it by, if it’s only 3 packages available than it’s gonna be a battle between NBCUniversal, Amazon, and Apple. If they split it to 4 then it’s probably just a battle between Amazon and Apple with NBC getting a package to themselves. To me the interesting thing for an NBC bid is Peacock. Comcast is doing everything to make sure it’s successful, so I’m going to imagine there will be exclusive games on that platform.