NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
They won’t get half of that

They're not getting that. At most I see a 40% increase, up to 40B. The only way I see them getting a 300% increase is if they give up all future rights for any broadcast., and much more.

Their argument hurts them - "global appeal and younger demo".

From who?

It's no way that ESPN can be throwing/will have to throw all this bread around towards sports and not have another layoff looming on the horizon. Especially considering that Disney has been bleeding money themselves from the pandemic.

I wonder is there a certain price point to where Disney would tell ESPN not to match.
:whoo:
Disney isn’t going to pay that .
It was never soley about the Mouse. This was always gonna be a super streaming deal.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
So if they’re airing games on NBC on Tuesday, then that means that it’s taking a slot away from scripted programming for that day right?

Not sure how that’s going to work out since fans have shown they don’t care about games on network television during the week.
Thursday used to be NBC's night for their flagship shows

Not sure if its still like that but last I checked it was like that for The Office

As long as they have Thursday to showcase their flagships they'll be ok with Tues being NBA night

Last edited:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
So the national TV schedule is gonna be

Sundays - ABC afternoon, NBC Sunday Night Basketball (Right now, its just ABC Sunday Showcase)

Mondays - ??? (Usually NBATV, which is operated by Warner Brothers Discovery, would broadcast the home team's feed or do their own OpenCourt presentation. You'd have Spero Dedes, Grant Hill/Brendan Haywood/Greg Anthony and Dennis Scott on site if NBATV does their own thing.)

Tuesdays - NBC and/or Peacock (Right now, TNT does Tuesdays)

Wednesdays - ESPN (Remains same)

Thursdays - Amazon Prime (Right now, TNT does Thursdays after NFL season)

Fridays - ??? (Right now, ESPN would air Friday games but this is being cut)

Saturdays - ??? (Right now, ABC does a Primetime Saturday game after Christmas)

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps

That's what I was getting at.

There's no way the NBA doesn't help Warner Bros no matter how much it costs.

Getting rid of it is gonna lose viewers for their other programs because it's one of the main reasons to even tune in to the channel.

I don't know what Zaslav is smoking. Unless he cares that much about cutting immediate costs (buying NBA rights) that he's willing to sacrifice the future of the company

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
That dip also coincided with the NBA leaving NBC. A lot of younger posters probably think us older ones are just waxing poetic and overhyping NBC's presentation but the numbers right here tell the story.

The NBA product was degraded when ESPN took over the primary coverage responsibilities. They do not know how to tell a story, build anticipation or make games feel like events.
I think we as hardcore fans really underestimate the power of presentation to casual viewers.

I think for a lot of casual viewers, they tune in when the game FEELS big or important.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
So if they’re airing games on NBC on Tuesday, then that means that it’s taking a slot away from scripted programming for that day right?

Not sure how that’s going to work out since fans have shown they don’t care about games on network television during the week.
the comedies that are on that night gotta be worried as fukk right about now.

The way it looks, the only way NBC won't air games on Tuesday is if The Voice ain't on. Either those shows move to Monday or Friday or get deaded soon enough.

The way Network TV is, there's only but so many scripted TV shows on as it is. CBS has the most by far, but they justify it with the numbers.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
That's what I was getting at.

There's no way the NBA doesn't help Warner Bros no matter how much it costs.

Getting rid of it is gonna lose viewers for their other programs because it's one of the main reasons to even tune in to the channel.

I don't know what Zaslav is smoking. Unless he cares that much about cutting immediate costs (buying NBA rights) that he's willing to sacrifice the future of the company
Deals like this get ruined by stupid people

Zaslav made a critical error here and history will show that, watch.

All the networks that give up football and basketball in the past have regretted it and had to scramble later on years later to get it back

Just like NBC is doin now :russ:

Last edited:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Deals like this get ruined by stupid people

Zaslav made a critical error here and history will dictate that, watch.

All the networks that give up football and basketball in the past have regretted it and had to scramble later on years later to get it back

Just like NBC is doin now :russ:

NBC isn't the same as it was 20 years ago though

Comcast buying NBC in 2011-12 was the catalyst for this. They probably would have bidded on the NBA if Silver opened up the rights in 2014-15 before the current deal was signed.

calh45

Cal
Daps
$76B

Everybody on the first few pages come hold your L

I was wrong, Silver hit the number, but I think it's dumb as fukk at the same time on both parts. The partners gotta get a return on that money. The NBA chopped up the season smaller, sold higher, with declining viewership in the regular season.

Buyer's remorse is a real threat with this deal, maybe not for NBC if they figure out how to slot the schedules right, but for Amazon? Absolutely it can happen. Streamers don't believe in the sunk cost fallacy like networks do if the viewership numbers don't justify it.