NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
It's over.... TNT is done... Coli Basketball business experts take yet another L for thinking the NBA wouldn't get their money.... You don't hear the ratings babble anymore at all :mjlol:
This is great for Inside the NBA because NBC or Amazon gonna pick them up… I already know Chuck ain’t fukking with espn/disney especially how he clowned them for over working SAS :mjlol:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
The Post with a good summary of the WSJ article:

Get Roundball Rock” back in the queue and pour one out for “Inside the NBA.”

The NBA is “closing in” on television deals with NBC, ESPN and Amazon worth $76 billion in media revenue over 11 years that will begin after the 2024-25 season.

These pacts could pave the way for the 2024-25 season to be the last for TNT[/URL] and its beloved “Inside the NBA” show featuring Charles Barkley, Shaquille O’Neal, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson.

Advertisement
NBC, which would re-gain the rights to air NBA games for the first time since 2002, is expected to pay on average $2.5 billion per year with approximately 100 games per season, per the report.

NBC will be back in the basketball mix soon. NBAE via Getty Images
About half of those games would be slated to air on the Peacock streaming service, with games set for Tuesday and Sunday when there aren’t “Sunday Night Football” commitments.

Advertisement
Amazon will pay $1.8 billion for its package, including regular-season and playoff games, the NBA In-Season Tournament and the Play-In Tournament games, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The global giant would also air a “share” of the conference finals, which are set to be split in rotation.

Disney, which already broadcasts NBA games, will retain its rights for $2.6 billion per year, per the report, an increase from the previous $1.5 billion per year deal.

Its network of channels will air the NBA Finals but will have less games than its current package.

Advertisement
The “Inside the NBA” crew may be no longer. AP
The agreement will allow games to be aired on its upcoming “direct-to-consumer streaming service” that is set for a 2025 launch.

These deals will increase the NBA’s annual fees by more than 2.5 times its previous amount, nearing almost $7 billion per season, per the report.

Rights to WNBA games are included in the deals.

Advertisement
TNT’s Ernie Johnson speaks after the Western Conference finals. Getty Images
Warner Bros. Discover, which owns TNT and can match NBC or Amazon’s packages, and the NBA could create a new package, although “options are limited,” per the report.

The entity is reportedly $40 billion in debt and had a chance to renew its deal before an April 22 deadline but passed on doing so.

TNT has aired NBA games since 1988.

The 2024-25 season could be the last for “Inside the NBA.” NBAE via Getty Images
Warner passed on re-upping at roughly $2.2 billion per season, “unhappy with the price relative to the value of the package,” according to the report.

The media company felt it had lost “too much valuable content,” including playoff games and the Play-In Tournament, with ESPN’s networks hosting the upcoming

TNT wanted to air the Finals, but the sides did not come to an agreement.

Amazon had begun working on a proposed deal prior to the April 22 deadline, while NBC made a quick offer shortly after.

“Zaslav and his top lieutenants calculated that the ratings performance of the NBA on TNT didn’t justify a major increase in fees for a smaller package of games, say people close to the company,” The Wall Street Journal reported.

Barkley ripped TNT’s “clown” executives for potentially ending the universally acclaimed “Inside the NBA.”

Advertisement
“Morale sucks. Plain and simple. I just feel so bad for the people I work with, Dan. These people have families, and I just really feel bad for them right now. You know, these people I work with, they screwed this thing up clearly, and we don’t have zero idea of what’s going to happen,” Barkley told Dan Patrick last month.

He added: “My two favorite wines are Inglenook and Opus, and these clowns I work for they turned us into Ripple and Boone’s Farm and Thunderbird. Like, we got the best studio show, and it’s so funny, we just won the [Sports Emmy for] best studio show, but these fools turned us from Inglenook and Opus into damn Boone’s Farm and Ripple. It’s crazy.”

Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav. REUTERS
An official announcement reportedly could be a few weeks away as owners would have to approve the agreements.

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So if they’re airing games on NBC on Tuesday, then that means that it’s taking a slot away from scripted programming for that day right?

Not sure how that’s going to work out since fans have shown they don’t care about games on network television during the week.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Peacock started off as strictly an app to watch the office to having wwe, NFL and nba. :damn:
I really hope they close out the WWE deal again. The hype that brand has had the last few years has been crazy, a lot of clout from mainstream artists and it's definitely brought the entertainment. NBC has been doing real good things with the WWE and NFL.

Edit: Nevermind looks like they already closed it.

Yeah, NBC basically about to go crazy the next few years.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
So if they’re airing games on NBC on Tuesday, then that means that it’s taking a slot away from scripted programming for that day right?

Not sure how that’s going to work out since fans have shown they don’t care about games on network television during the week.
It will probably be when those shows are airing reruns.

They used to do this waaaaay back in the day when SNL would have breaks and would show WWF content.