☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Folks need to understand that Chicago is a “FIRE” city. Finance (Banking), Insurance, Real Estate, and Engineering. And now you can include Tech. If your skillset is not compatible with these industries, and you’re not an entrepreneur, you are going to have a hard time eating in this city. And that’s why blacks are leaving in droves because our skill sets appear to more compatible with hospitality and service sector jobs. Which is why places like Atlanta are so popular.

Having lived in Manhattan for a few years, Chicago is still extremely affordable.

This. The Loop, River North, West Loop, and North Side is teaming with Big 10 white millennials. That’s really all I see.
Thats increasingly Atlanta too...

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Came from the bay almost 3 years ago to Chicago for a network engineering job, and the cost of living being lower is nice. Only thing that I can not stand is the snow and that the area is pretty boring in terms of the environment (no hills, mountains, etc...)

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Folks need to understand that Chicago is a “FIRE” city. Finance (Banking), Insurance, Real Estate, and Engineering. And now you can include Tech. If your skillset is not compatible with these industries, and you’re not an entrepreneur, you are going to have a hard time eating in this city. And that’s why blacks are leaving in droves because our skill sets appear to more compatible with hospitality and service sector jobs. Which is why places like Atlanta are so popular.

Having lived in Manhattan for a few years, Chicago is still extremely affordable.

This. The Loop, River North, West Loop, and North Side is teaming with Big 10 white millennials. That’s really all I see.

This. And this is why I’m still in NYC cause I know if I succeed in a FIRE position then there is so Ceiling on my growth and $.

I’m not a laid back person at all whatsoever.

And besides for some reason each time I think about leaving to explore a new location 9/10 times the location I decide I want to go to is still an expensive ass city (DC, Miami, LA, Oakland etc)

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Thats increasingly Atlanta too...

And as a result rent has been increasing in Atlanta for a while now. Once corporations enter a city pricing usually goes up.

This is why I ignore people who brag about cheap cost of living in cities where the largest employer is probably a Walmart.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Sure. And an aspect of that segregation, especially in the landscape of education, is the reason why blacks are not equipped with the skillsets that will enable us to add value to the economy of the city.

Just kind of pisses me off. The city is a straight up perfect example of American segregation via classicism, race, income inequality, and education and this joint is supposed to be a "liberal" city brehs. City ain't so bad cost of living wise but people turn a blind eye to this shyt-- and imagine it will only get worse not better because young black people are tapping out and leaving.

How do we fix?

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
This. And this is why I’m still in NYC cause I know if I succeed in a FIRE position then there is so Ceiling on my growth and $.

I’m not a laid back person at all whatsoever.

And besides for some reason each time I think about leaving to explore a new location 9/10 times the location I decide I want to go to is still an expensive ass city (DC, Miami, LA, Oakland etc)

Tech guy here.

New York is on my radar but I'm trying to make sure I got some good experience under my belt before I try the city out.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tech guy here.

New York is on my radar but I'm trying to make sure I got some good experience under my belt before I try the city out.

You’re Haitian I noticed. From a cultural point of view You’ll see lots of Haitians here especially if you live in Brooklyn.

If I were you i’d get experience and you can most likely land a high paying job that will not have a huge impact on your cost of living.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
You’re Haitian I noticed. From a cultural point of view You’ll see lots of Haitians here especially if you live in Brooklyn.

If I were you i’d get experience and you can most likely land a high paying job that will not have a huge impact on your cost of living.

Yup I've got family in Brooklyn no doubt.

I'm working Cybersecurity with the attention to switch over to DevOps and I've had recruiters contacting for roles that pay up to $150k/yr in NYC, and there are positions roles getting paid almost double that :deadmanny:.

I figured for now I'll just wait it out here and keep filling my bag. Then see how I wanna move.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Yup I've got family in Brooklyn no doubt.

I'm working Cybersecurity with the attention to switch over to DevOps and I've had recruiters contacting for roles that pay up to $150k/yr in NYC, and there are positions roles getting paid almost double that :deadmanny:.

I figured for now I'll just wait it out here and keep filling my bag. Then see how I wanna move.

$150K salary you can live in any black area with ease. Anything double that you can pretty much live in Manhattan

:ehh:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
who saids anything about living around white people?

Black neighborhoods in virtually all of these cities are cheaper than the average rents.

You dont need where near 300K to live in Harlem or Bed Stuy.

When someone says they need 300K to live in any city I’m assuming they are planning to live in the center of the city where rich or high earning Cacs live.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
$150K salary you can live in any black area with ease. Anything double that you can pretty much live in Manhattan

:ehh:

I would never want to live in Manhattan. Disgusting.

Harlem, Brooklyn, maybe Queens but I know it's expensive as fukk in the latter. Gentrification's a bytch. Right now I'm in Uptown Chicago paying just $650 month on rent.