Millennials leaving Chicago in droves

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
It's my home, and I like living in GR, but these winters,gloomy ass sunless days, and fukked up roads are getting on my nerves. Plus a lot of folks here are fukking stupid and have that blue collar mentality. Low key the Big Three fukked this state up. We got two major universities within an hour of each other, the directional universities, plus all these JUCOS, yet folks think they're hot shyt cuz they're working at some sorry ass factory or supplier for the auto companies making $15/hr :hhh:. This state should be a whole lot more :snoop:
I understand. Michigan is so sad. Everytime I get off the plane I get sad. It's just a sad place. But, it's home.

I am telling you -- get into real estate right now. I am doing that back home in Saginaw -- and it's already paying off. My parents already own rental homes (Section 8) and flip homes. But, we have gotten into commercial. It's now the time to buy land/plots as well.

My family is a GM family. But, the plants are closing and it has really fukked up the state. My momma and family still think the plant is coming back -- it's not. I am hoping something changes in Michigan soon.

Magic Mulatto

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. . .
Daps
Thank You!

Y’all built this nation so then let anyone especially Cacs tell you that only one piece of the land is for you.

Did they really tho? Could you really make such a claim, if your ancestors were brought over as an enslaved people to perform field work where the White man tells you what to do, how to do it, and when to do it?

Is it so, if the forced unskilled labour was utilized under a not-so fruitful economic system derived/established by non-Blacks and the country’s architects/movers & shakers are overwhelmingly WASP?

Don’t get me wrong, non-Whites such as Blacks, Chinese (railroads), Amerindians, etc., have contributed in various ways to the development of the USA. It’s just that it was brought about by White impetus and overseen by White supervision.

Non-White industriousness is also somewhat minuscule when compared to the production of European immigrants such as the Irish and the Germans.

Participated in the progression of America to an extent, yes, but “built this nation” is a stretch as a lot of the nation building took place while most African-Americans were confined to the economically dysfunctional South as cotton-pickers.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Did they really tho? Could you really make such a claim, if your ancestors were brought over as an enslaved people to perform field work where the White man tells you what to do, how to do it, and when to do it?

Is it so, if the forced unskilled labour was utilized under a not-so fruitful economic system derived/established by non-Blacks and the country’s architects/movers & shakers are overwhelmingly WASP?

Don’t get me wrong, non-Whites such as Blacks, Chinese (railroads), Amerindians, etc., have contributed in various ways to the development of the USA. It’s just that it was brought about by White impetus and overseen by White supervision.

Non-White industriousness is also somewhat minuscule when compared to the production of European immigrants such as the Irish and the Germans.

Participated in the progression of America to an extent, yes, but “built this nation” is a stretch as a lot of the nation building took place while most African-Americans were confined to the economically dysfunctional South as cotton-pickers.
You do realize that black people weren’t just slaves in the south picking cotton? You do realize that having a pool of people whom you don’t have to pay and can treat as slaves - enables state building on a massive scale. Are you not aware that slaves and black labor literally built the White House that the federal government operates from?

Black people were denied economic freedom and forced to work low-wage jobs with no benefits to support white capitalists for decades after reconstruction - in a legacy that continues to this day.

Don’t forget the prison-industrial complex and how black people are unfairly fined by the government for a variety of crimes they create and over-police on - in order to support the government. So in addition to paying fines, there’s also a wealth of money generated by using black bodies in prison for free labor.

And these are only two examples of systematic expolitation on a massive scale.

You sound incredibly uneducated and sheltered on this subject. And I’m not here for you to pick into my individual points - either. There’s no fukking excuse for you not to know this shyt so don’t fukking bother trying to debate me on this because it’s COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

The reason why this state exists today and the reason why WASPY whites can be called “movers and shakers” in Forbes magazine is because of these structures that exists - which were built off the backs of marginzalized peoples (SPECIFICALLY BLACK PEOPLE).

You sound like a damn CAC - ignoring context and decades of structural inequality like they always do.

And like I said, ain’t here to debate you either. This is shyt you SHOULD ALREADY KNOW, so do the damn research the information is freely available

Last edited:

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
I understand. Michigan is so sad. Everytime I get off the plane I get sad. It's just a sad place. But, it's home.

I am telling you -- get into real estate right now. I am doing that back home in Saginaw -- and it's already paying off. My parents already own rental homes (Section 8) and flip homes. But, we have gotten into commercial. It's now the time to buy land/plots as well.

My family is a GM family. But, the plants are closing and it has really fukked up the state. My momma and family still think the plant is coming back -- it's not. I am hoping something changes in Michigan soon.
I'm from Benton Harbor, and it just hurts my heart whenever I go back home because that city is in such rough shape. If there's a place that time forgot, that's it. It's a damn shame what these auto and manufacturing companies did to places like BH, Flint, Saginaw, not to mention Detroit. Lansing is hanging on, but if (or when) GM leaves them, that place will be a wasteland. It's already dangerous for brehs 18-25.

That's what's up on the real estate tip :myman:. That's been my main goal for years. I've just gotta get over that fear cuz I can't do the GM thing for another 20+ years. I hope everything works out for y'all over there :salute:.

stave

Superstar
Daps
@xoxodede could you tell me about how you find plots of land to buy

Have been thinking about doing something like this lately and I assume the cost of owning land is far lower than something with property built on it

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@xoxodede could you tell me about how you find plots of land to buy

Have been thinking about doing something like this lately and I assume the cost of owning land is far lower than something with property built on it

I purchase mainly in Black neighborhoods where my extended family stays or where my family already owns.

But, your city should have a land bank - contact them and ask them about plots in the city/county and the requirements to purchase.

Also, ride around areas you want to purchase and look a homes that are condemned or vacant and then check and see who is the owners and contact them. Some may want to sell -- some may not. I would also recommend working with a real estate agent to have them pull some investment properties/land that are affordable.

Like in Michigan, if you own land on a street that has plots they are $300 and less. But, you must already own on the block. If you don't -- it' not usually more than $600-1K.

Also, sign up for BiggerPockets.com forum -- I learned a lot from that forum. I successfully flipped my first home with the help of my family with the help of that forum. It's great!

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I'm from Benton Harbor, and it just hurts my heart whenever I go back home because that city is in such rough shape. If there's a place that time forgot, that's it. It's a damn shame what these auto and manufacturing companies did to places like BH, Flint, Saginaw, not to mention Detroit. Lansing is hanging on, but if (or when) GM leaves them, that place will be a wasteland. It's already dangerous for brehs 18-25.

That's what's up on the real estate tip :myman:. That's been my main goal for years. I've just gotta get over that fear cuz I can't do the GM thing for another 20+ years. I hope everything works out for y'all over there :salute:.

Thanks! Yeah, my best friend is from Lansing -- but it's still doing WAY better than Flint, Saginaw and other areas to me. He went to Morehouse/MSU Grad School and is now buying property too -- he just got started last year - but he has two places. He's in the process of flipping one house in Okemos/East Lansing. The University is really helping them still -- and being the capitol -- they have a lot of commercial and large brands (Whole Foods, etc) -- but you are right it's still going down.

Don't get me started on Flint. They are now starting to gentrify downtown and have some areas now up to purchase but they are trying to price people out already. Flint is just as bad as Saginaw -- but I will say it's still a little better - fukked up water and all.

Detroit, TO ME - is improving -- but has a long way to go - but it will get there -- I just hope we are not priced out.

I have only been to Benton Harbor a few times - -but I understand -- the whole state is at a standstill - I pray things get better for you and yours as well.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I advise black folks stopped running and start doing better in the city u in and make better decisions..

Many black folks rather in nyc, la or Chicago or anywhere up north run down south and still be living like shyt...

I’m not saying if u have a opportunity to move to another city and u have the job line up then by all means do it.....but if u broke in Cincinnati and u run down to Atlanta without nothing lined up, then u just broke in Atlanta
Yep.

You gotta create new lanes for yourself...even if means choosing an entirely new profession. There's paper to be made out here

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
It's not just Chicago that people are fleeing from in droves, but the state of Illinois in general. That place is heading toward utter financial ruin, and people don't want to be there for it.

The cost of living in Chicago, while not as staggeringly high as the coastal cities, is still much higher than average. It's a very rough place to live if you can't afford it, or so I've heard. And I'm sure the crap winters and violent crime don't help matters.
Exaggerated. Most of it occurs in certain areas....and specific people are target.

It's not as if you go get a gallon of milk and catch 2 hot ones at random.

Magic Mulatto

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. . .
Daps
You do realize that black people weren’t just slaves in the south picking cotton? You do realize that having a pool of people whom you don’t have to pay and can treat as slaves - enables state building on a massive scale. Are you not aware that slaves and black labor literally built the White House that the federal government operates from?

Black people were denied economic freedom and forced to work low-wage jobs with no benefits to support white capitalists for decades after reconstruction - in a legacy that continues to this day.

Don’t forget the prison-industrial complex and how black people are unfairly fined by the government for a variety of crimes they create and over-police on - in order to support the government. So in addition to paying fines, there’s also a wealth of money generated by using black bodies in prison for free labor.

And these are only two examples of systematic expolitation on a massive scale.

You sound incredibly uneducated and sheltered on this subject. And I’m not here for you to pick into my individual points - either. There’s no fukking excuse for you not to know this shyt so don’t fukking bother trying to debate me on this because it’s COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

The reason why this state exists today and the reason why WASPY whites can be called “movers and shakers” in Forbes magazine is because of these structures that exists - which were built off the backs of marginzalized peoples (SPECIFICALLY BLACK PEOPLE).

You sound like a damn CAC - ignoring context and decades of structural inequality like they always do.

And like I said, ain’t here to debate you either. This is shyt you SHOULD ALREADY KNOW, so do the damn research the information is freely available

I’m not ignoring context and “decades of structural inequality.” And I’m not here to debate you on the historical reality of it all either, as I laid it bare. I just wanted to respond to that poster’s rather blanket statement by asking questions and pointing out some necessary considerations (context, right?).

An insignificant labour pool of marginalized people being utilized and exploited within a framework or structural system conceived and implemented by White men for White Americans does not lay claim to them being the actual or sole “builders” of the nation—or even the primary economic or productive force.

Many of the poorest states were/are former slave-holding states. And being used as manual labor in the construction of the White House at the discretion and under the instruction/assistance of Whites does not a nation build.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Folks need to understand that Chicago is a “FIRE” city. Finance (Banking), Insurance, Real Estate, and Engineering. And now you can include Tech. If your skillset is not compatible with these industries, and you’re not an entrepreneur, you are going to have a hard time eating in this city. And that’s why blacks are leaving in droves because our skill sets appear to more compatible with hospitality and service sector jobs. Which is why places like Atlanta are so popular.

Having lived in Manhattan for a few years, Chicago is still extremely affordable.

I bet a lot of those millennials leaving are black

This. The Loop, River North, West Loop, and North Side is teaming with Big 10 white millennials. That’s really all I see.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks need to understand that Chicago is a “FIRE” city. Finance (Banking), Insurance, Real Estate, and Engineering. And now you can include Tech. If your skillset is not compatible with these industries, and you’re not an entrepreneur, you are going to have a hard time eating in this city. And that’s why blacks are leaving in droves because our skill sets appear to more compatible with hospitality and service sector jobs. Which is why places like Atlanta are so popular.

Having lived in Manhattan for a few years, Chicago is still extremely affordable.

This. The Loop, River North, West Loop, and North Side is teaming with Big 10 white millennials. That’s really all I see.

Great points.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

Great post.

Segregation here is mad blantant though. If you were to look at the US under a microscope Chicago would be a fine place to look.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Great post.

Segregation here is mad blantant though. If you were to look at the US under a microscope Chicago would be a fine place to look.

Sure. And an aspect of that segregation, especially in the landscape of education, is the reason why blacks are not equipped with the skillsets that will enable us to add value to the economy of the city.