Math and reading scores for American 13-year-olds plunge to lowest levels in decades

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Parents used to shame their kids when they brought home bad grades...

Nowadays, the parents and teachers didnt even care and it shows.

Shame is a terrible motivator for brain performance, and high school failure and dropout rates used to be way higher than they are now.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
We had all of this in the 80's and still had better test scores. Those things are not to blame.

No, test scores were lower in the 80s than they are now.

VXO3QLFXFZGNDHOHN4P46JYL4E.jpg

His point was dumb, but your "back in the day" response was dumb too. People keep yearning for a 60s/70s/80s style education when kids did worse back then by every metric.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
every single public school system should've held students back a year, they also should've done more to open schools, teachers unions bullied their way into extended closures. we deemed fast food workers essential and needing to be at work, but educators weren't?
Educators would be in a room full of kids unlike fast food workers
Kids are germ carriers like crazy
On top of that teachers ain’t paid enough to deal with all the fukkery so im cool with unions actually doing something .

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
We had all of this in the 80's and still had better test scores. Those things are not to blame.

The school can only do so much. Parents are going to have to take greater interests in their children's education. That means following up on their progress and giving them extra assignments if the school work is too basic.
You only highlighted a few items…

Making kids do more work after school won’t help. Kids are already in school for 6 to 8 hours, now you want to give them 2 to 3 more hours of work ?
:francis:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I know #BothSides is a coli meme

But, one side wants to bring drag queens to twerk in front of your kids and the other wants you to believe slavery was an summer program for immigrants and that slave masters treated their "property" like family.

:snoop:

Homeschool, brehs

Trust me, it's not what ya'll think it is

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
I'm sure there is a correlation for countries who spend trillions on defense and warfare and literacy rates.....I'm sure it's not just in America....on the other hand Cuba has a 95 percent literacy rate....damn near everybody can read without using their fingers....

White folks gotta alot of explaining to do...cause we all know why the education systems for Black folk fail to meet the standard...but white folks ain't got no excuse.:francis:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Who needs books? I have a Kindle with the ChatGPT app :blessed:

Learn for me :blessed:

Sad thing is, there's actual people who say this. Not just in America but worldwide.

I'm sure there is a correlation for countries who spend trillions on defense and warfare and literacy rates.....I'm sure it's not just in America....on the other hand Cuba has a 95 percent literacy rate....damn near everybody can read without using their fingers....

White folks gotta alot of explaining to do...cause we all know why the education systems for Black folk fail to meet the standard...but white folks ain't got no excuse.:francis:

Yup, Cuba made a specific effort to focus on universal education. America has never done anything to ensure everyone was learning beyond, "Tougher standards! More tests!" as if the kids who were already failing at the material will magically succeed if you just make it harder.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Isn’t this what the whole article was about? The fact that people in the thread probably didn’t read and are just regurgitating the same talking points goes to show reading comprehension is not a current downfall :skip:

#theironknee
:comeon:

I blame technology.

Call me old fashioned but I don't believe information soaks in the same way when using electronics.

There are too many distractions. When reading material, it is easy to rely on control F at the detriment of understanding the subject as a whole. You type faster than you write so the information doesn't really sink on when making notes.

Could just be me but that is my experience with both methods. I feel that in trying to reinvent the wheel, they've moved away from the essentials.

Almost as though it supports the first point I raised. You're right, I didn't read the article. I suspect the same can be said for a lot of people responding. Most people jump to the comments, the distraction that comes with technology.