Math and reading scores for American 13-year-olds plunge to lowest levels in decades

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
While things may have been slightly trending downwards or staying at least stable, I don't think the affects of covid can or should be understated.

I mean, it obviously affected adults in all types of ways people were unused to. Depression, divorce, anger, confusion, etc. You had tons of people vocalizing how sick they were of actually being at home with their kids during covid and needed a break

Now imagine the children, especially at a time where development and in person socialization is key and when depression/anxiety, not only amongst adults is growing but rapidly growing amongst the youth. Then Immediately isolated from all their friends and dealing with the aftereffects of their parents issues at the time. For all the kids that already had a hard time learning, online school didn't make that easier at all.

You have tons of teachers that don't want to teach in their district or at certain schools and make that obvious. And regardless of their quality, it's hard to fire them when it's hard to replace them and America sees them as overworked, underpaid and underappreciated.

It starts at home too but people are very optimistic about how much adults can do at home outside of making sure they do it. You see parents complain everyday about common core math or whatever it's all called. Most can't afford tutors in this day and age. A lot of prior communities like boys and girls clubs are being removed.

It's an overall societal problem and has been for a very long time in America. Covid just made things worse all the way around the board and it's going to take a major effort and for people to actually care to do something. But instead you have people protesting to avoid things being talked about in school (you even see people here agree with that on some issues) and literally history revisionism in history books in the south.

It's crazy that even after all this time that American can't see that this decades long education trend may be a serious issue down the line. And that having knowledge all at our fingertips may be incredibly useful but doesn't actually make us educated, just makes up able to bluff and/or look up the things we need with no understanding of the answer we're looking for.

Education here needs a revamp in general. For a country that prides itself on freedom, the ways we teach are incredibly rigid.

Hazel Brown

All Star
Daps
My daughter is senior and I asked her what books they are reading;

To Kill a Mockingbird - No

Odessey- No

Shakespeare - No

Autobiography of Malcolm X - No

Invisible Man - No

Reading is GOAT, this generation is really being deprived.

1. Reading Exercises the Brain

While reading, we have to remember different characters and settings that belong to a given story. Even if you enjoy reading a book in one sitting, you have to remember the details throughout the time you take to read the book. Therefore, reading is a workout for your brain that improves memory function.

2. Reading is a Form of (free) Entertainment

Did you know that most of the popular TV shows and movies are based on books? So why not indulge in the original form of entertainment by immersing yourself in reading. Most importantly, it’s free with your Markham Public Library card.

3. Reading Improves Concentration and the Ability to Focus

We can all agree that reading cannot happen without focus and in order to fully understand the story, we have to concentrate on each page that we read. In a world where gadgets are only getting faster and shortening our attention span, we need to constantly practice concentration and focus. Reading is one of the few activities that requires your undivided attention, therefore, improving your ability to concentrate.

4. Reading Improves Literacy

Have you ever read a book where you came across an unfamiliar word? Books have the power to improve your vocabulary by introducing you to new words. The more you read, the more your vocabulary grows, along with your ability to effectively communicate. Additionally, reading improves writing skills by helping the reader understand and learn different writing styles.

5. Reading Improves Sleep

By creating a bedtime routine that includes reading, you can signal to your body that it is time to sleep. Now, more than ever, we rely on increased screen time to get through the day. Therefore, by setting your phone aside and picking up a book, you are telling your brain that it is time to quiet down. Moreover, since reading helps you de-stress, doing so right before bed helps calm your mind and anxiety and improve the quality of sleep.

6. Reading Increases General Knowledge

Books are always filled with fun and interesting facts. Whether you read fiction or non-fictions, books have the ability to provide us with information we would’ve otherwise not known. Reading a variety of topics can make you a more knowledgeable person, in turn improving your conversation skills.

7. Reading is Motivational

By reading books about protagonists who have overcome challenges, we are oftentimes encouraged to do the same. The right book can motivate you to never give up and stay positive, regardless of whether it’s a romance novel or a self-help book.

8. Reading Reduces Stress

Reading has the power to transport you to another world and away from the monotonous daily routine. By doing so, reading can decrease stress, lower heart rate and reduce blood pressure.

9. Reading Sets a Positive Example

Reading is a key component of early literacy development and you can set an example of just how crucial this is by modeling the behaviour yourself. Children are excellent at mimicking the adults around them which means that if you regularly set aside some "me time" for reading, your children will learn to do the same.

10. Reading Teaches Empathy

Books allow us to experience realities outside of our lives. They teach us to relate to others by often putting us in the shoes of the narrator. This simple technique is called empathy. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Reading builds on empathy by constantly presenting us with thoughts and scenarios outside of our perspective.

Basically, everything that would only benefit this generation . Look how popular Audiobooks are, the general population will not even pick up a physical book. Borders, Books a Millon and any other bookstores are either closed, or closing. Used to be great to go in Borders, grab a book and a coffee and read. Then again, im an introvert so this is perfect.
@DEAD7

King Poetic

Yeah I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Wasn’t it a school in Georgia that was just passing young black kids through even though the kids could barley read or write at they level

A lot of these school administrators need to be evaluated as well.. passing kids through just because they fed up with them or trying to make it like they school districts is good

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

Odessey- No

Shakespeare - No

Invisible Man - No

While reading, we have to remember different characters and settings that belong to a given story. Even if you enjoy reading a book in one sitting, you have to remember the details throughout the time you take to read the book. Therefore, reading is a workout for your brain that improves memory function.

Did you know that most of the popular TV shows and movies are based on books? So why not indulge in the original form of entertainment by immersing yourself in reading. Most importantly, it’s free with your Markham Public Library card.

We can all agree that reading cannot happen without focus and in order to fully understand the story, we have to concentrate on each page that we read. In a world where gadgets are only getting faster and shortening our attention span, we need to constantly practice concentration and focus. Reading is one of the few activities that requires your undivided attention, therefore, improving your ability to concentrate.

Have you ever read a book where you came across an unfamiliar word? Books have the power to improve your vocabulary by introducing you to new words. The more you read, the more your vocabulary grows, along with your ability to effectively communicate. Additionally, reading improves writing skills by helping the reader understand and learn different writing styles.

By creating a bedtime routine that includes reading, you can signal to your body that it is time to sleep. Now, more than ever, we rely on increased screen time to get through the day. Therefore, by setting your phone aside and picking up a book, you are telling your brain that it is time to quiet down. Moreover, since reading helps you de-stress, doing so right before bed helps calm your mind and anxiety and improve the quality of sleep.

Books are always filled with fun and interesting facts. Whether you read fiction or non-fictions, books have the ability to provide us with information we would’ve otherwise not known. Reading a variety of topics can make you a more knowledgeable person, in turn improving your conversation skills.

By reading books about protagonists who have overcome challenges, we are oftentimes encouraged to do the same. The right book can motivate you to never give up and stay positive, regardless of whether it’s a romance novel or a self-help book.

Reading has the power to transport you to another world and away from the monotonous daily routine. By doing so, reading can decrease stress, lower heart rate and reduce blood pressure.

Reading is a key component of early literacy development and you can set an example of just how crucial this is by modeling the behaviour yourself. Children are excellent at mimicking the adults around them which means that if you regularly set aside some "me time" for reading, your children will learn to do the same.

Books allow us to experience realities outside of our lives. They teach us to relate to others by often putting us in the shoes of the narrator. This simple technique is called empathy. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Reading builds on empathy by constantly presenting us with thoughts and scenarios outside of our perspective.

Basically, everything that would only benefit this generation . Look how popular Audiobooks are, the general population will not even pick up a physical book. Borders, Books a Millon and any other bookstores are either closed, or closing. Used to be great to go in Borders, grab a book and a coffee and read. Then again, im an introvert so this is perfect.
They are not deprived. The have more abundance of resources than most humans who ever lived. That's the actual problem. Not being challenged or wanting for things. Books used to be sought after. Everything is in our hands. People don't care anymore about shyt but vanity and entertainment.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

Odessey- No

Shakespeare - No

Invisible Man - No

People need to parent and give their children reading exercises.

My parents did. I had to do book reports on weekends.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly it doesn’t really matter it will come a point where a lot of people will choose to blend with AI. Otherwise just use the tools provided calculators etc.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Not surprised.

Reading is "corny" and "boring"

Math is "boring"

History is "corny"

Science is "corny" and for "nerds"

:mjlol:

When A.I. can teach kids better than human teachers can within the next decade, is when everything implodes in the American educational system.

I been twlling people that the Scandinavian model is the only realistic model of education in the future.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Only 12% of the student body of Harvard are foreign born. Only 30% of professional researchers at Harvard are foreign born. It’s like saying the NBA would cease to exist without foreigners. :what:
1° Why are you singling out Harvard? :skip:

2° I'm talking about research, which is only a part of the universities composition.

Your data are hence irrelevant:yeshrug:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wasn’t it a school in Georgia that was just passing young black kids through even though the kids could barley read or write at they level

A lot of these school administrators need to be evaluated as well.. passing kids through just because they fed up with them or trying to make it like they school districts is good
Americas HS graduation rates are at all time highs but the reading and math proficiency is terrible :heh:

We are passing 18 year olds who do math at like a 8th grade level, then we get shocked when those people embarrass themselves in college
:dead:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
WOAT generation of parents

Yep. You can't really blame the teachers this day and age. There's so many tools online in regards to learning math it's crazy. And the coli makes it out to be how kids don't have the internet when that's entirely false. All these kids got smartphones and tablets.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When A.I. can teach kids better than human teachers can within the next decade, is when everything implodes in the American educational system.

I been twlling people that the Scandinavian model is the only realistic model of education in the future.
This is a good thing. There is nothing teachers do that an AI cannot do.

Arguably, even the best teacher only has experience teaching a few hundred kids and remembers a couple college classes, while an AI can aggregate data from tens of millions of kids and tell you which kind of teaching works best for your kid and draws from current research.

Veteran
Daps
I blame technology.

Call me old fashioned but I don't believe information soaks in the same way when using electronics.

There are too many distractions. When reading material, it is easy to rely on control F at the detriment of understanding the subject as a whole. You type faster than you write so the information doesn't really sink on when making notes.

Could just be me but that is my experience with both methods. I feel that in trying to reinvent the wheel, they've moved away from the essentials.

The effects of covid must also be considered. Learning remotely is difficult. For children who are reliant on being in school to learn, that's going to hurt.

Nah, Technology ain't to blame. Reason being there's so many great sources kids can learn from, specifically math & science. For reading, you can always hit up the library

Veteran
Daps

A.I. will NEVER replace teachers. Maybe the bad ones. If you never had a good teacher or professor, you wouldn't understand. There's more to teaching than going over a subject and handing out homework. Some teachers make the subject interesting, some teachers can speak from a student's perspective.

Nobody wants a boring dead ass non emotional A.I.