Math and reading scores for American 13-year-olds plunge to lowest levels in decades

Daps
:comeon:

Almost as though it supports the first point I raised. You're right, I didn't read the article. I suspect the same can be said for a lot of people responding. Most people jump to the comments, the distraction that comes with technology.

i wasn't even talking about you specifically, just reiterating the point of the article by piggybacking off a specific part of your comment. it's obviously levels to the reading comprehension issue, a part of which includes deducing shyt that isn't even written in order to be offended for no reason.... another thecoli faux pas :skip:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
U would think a country who so concerned about appearing to be the best would strive to have the best education

But I think that’s just a facade, this country is ran on a pay to win model, they not trying to really put effort into education like that, so good luck to anybody who have to relay on lesser education to teach them

Maybe some will persevere but most will be what they were trained to be

Bop Gun

Turn Me Loose, We Shall Overcome
Daps
Reppin
210 via 201
I blame technology.

Call me old fashioned but I don't believe information soaks in the same way when using electronics.

There are too many distractions. When reading material, it is easy to rely on control F at the detriment of understanding the subject as a whole. You type faster than you write so the information doesn't really sink on when making notes.

Could just be me but that is my experience with both methods. I feel that in trying to reinvent the wheel, they've moved away from the essentials.

The effects of covid must also be considered. Learning remotely is difficult. For children who are reliant on being in school to learn, that's going to hurt.

My last semester at UTSA prior to Graduation, due to Covid I was forced to take my Final 3 Courses online. It was brutal, had a hard time focusing and taking notes. Easily the most challenging experience I faced academically.

I can't imagine the difficulties of small children and teens being forced to sit in front of a computer screen for 8hrs/day, 5 days a week, for 9 months, and it not have a negative effect on their ability to retain knowledge, as well as being able to properly focus.

At the end of the day, Black Students have been gradually declining in Reading and Mathematics, this just exacerbated the issue. There was a thread recently about the high % of Black Students graduating High School. On the surface that is promising, but at the end of the day, many of those students are ill-prepared for the real world, barely reading at an 8th Grade Level.

The effects aren't hidden either. Youngins today have very poor social skills and communication skills. The way they speak, ending sentences with "duh duh duh duh duh", to make up for not knowing how to express certain thoughts, it is sad.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
er cat, we're about to come up on some of the easiest times to maintain seniority professionally in history, A.I or not.

These kids are really fukking stupid.

Yeah, but AI gonna come for all white collar jobs

At this point, American needs to embrace the Scandinavian education system and TED Talks type of education. The Typical 20th century high-stakes standardized testing isn't doing anyone any good. We need to evolve to progressive new education methods that don't involve redundant homework that pisses kids off

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
You only highlighted a few items…

Making kids do more work after school won’t help. Kids are already in school for 6 to 8 hours, now you want to give them 2 to 3 more hours of work ?
:francis:

Imagine grown people coming home from their 9-5s and STILL HAVING HOMEWORK??? That would cause workplace shootings and rampant deaths all over the place.

Kids are fed up with homework and time taken away from their families.

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
America imports all of its smart people from other countries. Whether it's ivy league schools, or silicon valley. So Americans getting dumber and dumber isn't a concern when they can rely on foreign geniuses to sustain scientific progress. You rarely hear of an American inventing anything anymore. They're all fat, lazy, and racist and play Call of Duty all day.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
We had all of this in the 80's and still had better test scores. Those things are not to blame.

The school can only do so much. Parents are going to have to take greater interests in their children's education. That means following up on their progress and giving them extra assignments if the school work is too basic.

Stop treating reading and writing as PUNISHMENTS like a jail sentence.

If you treat reading as a way to keep kids away from free time out of school and time AWAY from their families, they see it as something that has to be avoided at all costs. That is when they see the foundation of all knowledge as something that they have to erase. That is why anti-intellectualism is at an all time high, because of decades of senseless teachers that pound students with pointless assignments that they will dismiss and associate with mental pain.

We need the Scandinavian education model and TED Talks model. You know why school shooting skyrocketed the last 20 years? Cause students are fed up with standardized testing and high stakes culturally biased SAT formats.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Shame is a terrible motivator for brain performance, and high school failure and dropout rates used to be way higher than they are now.

I guess the only way to make em get their grades right is by taking away those mobile apparatuses.

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
America imports all of its smart people from other countries. Whether it's ivy league schools, or silicon valley. So Americans getting dumber and dumber isn't a concern when they can rely on foreign geniuses to sustain scientific progress. You rarely hear of an American inventing anything anymore. They're all fat, lazy, and racist and play Call of Duty all day.
Nobel prize winners 2022 chemistry

Carolyn Bertozzi
Birthplace: Boston, Mass

Karl Sharpless
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Penn

Nobel prize winners 2022 Economics

Ben Bernanke
Birthplace: Augusta, Georgia

Douglas Diamond
Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois

Nobel Prize 2022 Physics

John Clauser
Birthplace: Pasadena, California

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Nobel prize winners 2022 chemistry

Carolyn Bertozzi
Birthplace: Boston, Mass

Karl Sharpless
Birthplace: Philadelphia, Penn

Nobel prize winners 2022 Economics

Ben Bernanke
Birthplace: Augusta, Georgia

Douglas Diamond
Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois

Nobel Prize 2022 Physics

John Clauser
Birthplace: Pasadena, California
The american academic research will implode without the permanent import of foreign students.

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The american academic research will implode without the permanent import of foreign students.
Only 12% of the student body of Harvard are foreign born. Only 30% of professional researchers at Harvard are foreign born. It’s like saying the NBA would cease to exist without foreigners. :what: