Math and reading scores for American 13-year-olds plunge to lowest levels in decades

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
We need these rappers to talk about the Pythagorean theorem and quadratic equations instead of lean and getting/giving top. Maybe that will help.
No money in it, so that ain't happening.

Meanwhile, back when I was a kid....

2 'tricks' in this cartoon stayed with me for 40+ years.​

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
My daughter is senior and I asked her what books they are reading;

To Kill a Mockingbird - No

Odessey- No

Shakespeare - No

Autobiography of Malcolm X - No

Invisible Man - No

Reading is GOAT, this generation is really being deprived.

1. Reading Exercises the Brain

While reading, we have to remember different characters and settings that belong to a given story. Even if you enjoy reading a book in one sitting, you have to remember the details throughout the time you take to read the book. Therefore, reading is a workout for your brain that improves memory function.

2. Reading is a Form of (free) Entertainment

Did you know that most of the popular TV shows and movies are based on books? So why not indulge in the original form of entertainment by immersing yourself in reading. Most importantly, it’s free with your Markham Public Library card.

3. Reading Improves Concentration and the Ability to Focus

We can all agree that reading cannot happen without focus and in order to fully understand the story, we have to concentrate on each page that we read. In a world where gadgets are only getting faster and shortening our attention span, we need to constantly practice concentration and focus. Reading is one of the few activities that requires your undivided attention, therefore, improving your ability to concentrate.

4. Reading Improves Literacy

Have you ever read a book where you came across an unfamiliar word? Books have the power to improve your vocabulary by introducing you to new words. The more you read, the more your vocabulary grows, along with your ability to effectively communicate. Additionally, reading improves writing skills by helping the reader understand and learn different writing styles.

5. Reading Improves Sleep

By creating a bedtime routine that includes reading, you can signal to your body that it is time to sleep. Now, more than ever, we rely on increased screen time to get through the day. Therefore, by setting your phone aside and picking up a book, you are telling your brain that it is time to quiet down. Moreover, since reading helps you de-stress, doing so right before bed helps calm your mind and anxiety and improve the quality of sleep.

6. Reading Increases General Knowledge

Books are always filled with fun and interesting facts. Whether you read fiction or non-fictions, books have the ability to provide us with information we would’ve otherwise not known. Reading a variety of topics can make you a more knowledgeable person, in turn improving your conversation skills.

7. Reading is Motivational

By reading books about protagonists who have overcome challenges, we are oftentimes encouraged to do the same. The right book can motivate you to never give up and stay positive, regardless of whether it’s a romance novel or a self-help book.

8. Reading Reduces Stress

Reading has the power to transport you to another world and away from the monotonous daily routine. By doing so, reading can decrease stress, lower heart rate and reduce blood pressure.

9. Reading Sets a Positive Example

Reading is a key component of early literacy development and you can set an example of just how crucial this is by modeling the behaviour yourself. Children are excellent at mimicking the adults around them which means that if you regularly set aside some "me time" for reading, your children will learn to do the same.

10. Reading Teaches Empathy

Books allow us to experience realities outside of our lives. They teach us to relate to others by often putting us in the shoes of the narrator. This simple technique is called empathy. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Reading builds on empathy by constantly presenting us with thoughts and scenarios outside of our perspective.

Basically, everything that would only benefit this generation . Look how popular Audiobooks are, the general population will not even pick up a physical book. Borders, Books a Millon and any other bookstores are either closed, or closing. Used to be great to go in Borders, grab a book and a coffee and read. Then again, im an introvert so this is perfect.
Nah that’s corny and brainwashing :troll:

But seriously, reading develops the frontal lobes and logic center. In a world full of emotionally charged men, you would think developing the logic centers would be one of our first go to’s

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
I blame technology.

Call me old fashioned but I don't believe information soaks in the same way when using electronics.

There are too many distractions. When reading material, it is easy to rely on control F at the detriment of understanding the subject as a whole. You type faster than you write so the information doesn't really sink on when making notes.

Could just be me but that is my experience with both methods. I feel that in trying to reinvent the wheel, they've moved away from the essentials.

The effects of covid must also be considered. Learning remotely is difficult. For children who are reliant on being in school to learn, that's going to hurt.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
school is wild easy now.

ive been around some grade school age kids and public school really dont push them...
...not at all.

Even went to a little school performance...
...the kids could barely do what they were supposed to.

the only ones that seemed able to handle things were the Asian kids.

Daps
The effects of covid must also be considered. Learning remotely is difficult. For children who are reliant on being in school to learn, that's going to hurt.

Isn’t this what the whole article was about? The fact that people in the thread probably didn’t read and are just regurgitating the same talking points goes to show reading comprehension is not a current downfall :skip:

#theironknee

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
I blame technology.

Call me old fashioned but I don't believe information soaks in the same way when using electronics.

There are too many distractions. When reading material, it is easy to rely on control F at the detriment of understanding the subject as a whole. You type faster than you write so the information doesn't really sink on when making notes.

Could just be me but that is my experience with both methods. I feel that in trying to reinvent the wheel, they've moved away from the essentials.

You right

Link: Reading on a smartphone promotes overactivity in the prefrontal cortex and lowers reading comprehension, study finds

I got books on Kindle and read physical copies.. I can comprehend better from physical books.

2 one 3

wavy
Daps
Reppin
Westside
It’s the parents first and foremost :hubie:. We have to stop ignoring this starts in the home, despite whatever deficiencies the schools have.

Rep. Mike Judge the GOAT. Crazy how timely that movie remains. ELECTROLYTES :damn:.

Welcome to Walmart I love you

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Isn’t this what the whole article was about? The fact that people in the thread probably didn’t read and are just regurgitating the same talking points goes to show reading comprehension is not a current downfall :skip:

#theironknee
:comeon:shyt been trending down for years. COVID may have been an accelerant but let’s not play obtuse about the real issues.

Do we have the results broken down by race?
Oh no doubt, imma be looking into that tonight :mjpls:.