Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Yea Reasonable Doubt was not poppin or changing the game back when it dropped in '96.....I remember struggling to get kats to listen to this dude in high school when it seemed like I was the only one bumpin his shyt.... Westcoast gangster rap changed the game and eventually EastCoast gangsta rap solidified it... People didn't catch on to reasonable doubt until later on.. Jay had to re-released the shyt for all the late-comers... But by that time the game was sold... :francis:

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sometimes label don’t send info for albums to be certified when they should. Look at the Black Album. It did not take 2 years to go plat

RD didn't hit plat until 2002. He campaigned that album to platinum during the nas beef and telling people it should have went triple on blueprint, lol.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
That whole 96-99 Jiggy Hip Hop era kinda set the precedence for now

I don't necessarily "Blame" Jay-Z. That was his particular style. Not his fault wack ass rappers used that lane to promote their wackness

Kendrick Lamar is basically Arrested Development in 2018, with that fake deep nonsense. And no one's complaining about that
Arrested Development wasn't fake deep

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
Nah. Master P and Birdman had more to do with that. Jay like to say he not a rapper. Don't be fooled. He loves to rap and loves being a superstar in the spot light. Master P will straight up tell you rap was just another hustle and he can't even rap. Birdman will tell you the same thing. Them nikkas got into the game to be label owners 1st and foremost. Jay got into the game to be a rapper 1st and foremost. Its why he don't stay retired and keeps dropping albums. Diddy actually has zero talent but wanted to be a superstar even though he cant rap at all like not at all.

Last edited:

King Poetic

Godfather of Mariana Trench
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bottoms
PUFFY KILLED HIP HOP PERIOD

1.. Is fakkitness and being scared of suge and pac eventually leading to pac death

2.. Dumbass nikka told biggie to come out here to L.A. after 5 months of pac being killed and thought everything was sweet and he can come out here cause pac is dead and suge in jail... nikka thought southside had L.A. under control, not knowing that L.A. is much bigger than southside crips

3.. Then literally ruined every other artist on bad boy who could easily have bigger success like the lox and shine

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Prior to Jay Z rappers sound broke AF. Jay sound like a rich dude for real. I’m 34. I used to read all the magazines…
I been listening to stretch and bobbito from the early 90's at work. Most of the rappers talk about "wack rappers" and weed. When stretch play something like B.I.G. "just playing" or "in my life time remix" that shyt Stand out real quick. They wasn't talking about the same shyt.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
The funny thing about Jay saying it was that Jay is actually nice lyrically so it was the ultimate brag. But when someone like Jim Jones said it you knew he was dead serious becuz he wasn’t on that level

On another note hip hop ain’t been right since Pac got shot 5 times and came back. 50 took it to another level by being shot 9 times. All of a sudden your backstory became more important than the music.

shyt just got ridiculous when Game said he got shot 9 times too
:mjlol:

He was in the hospital bed in 2001 listening to the Chronic 2001
:duck:

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The funny thing about Jay saying it was that Jay is actually nice lyrically so it was the ultimate brag. But when someone like Jim Jones said it you knew he was dead serious becuz he wasn’t on that level

On another note hip hop ain’t been right since Pac got shot 5 times and came back. 50 took it to another level by being shot 9 times. All of a sudden your backstory became more important than the music.

shyt just got ridiculous when Game said he got shot 9 times too
:mjlol:

He was in the hospital bed in 2001 listening to the Chronic 2001
:duck:

Craig Mack could have been something if not for back story. Didn't he get exposed for going to private school as a kid?....and Biggie not liking craig mack didn't help matters either, lol. Mack was ghost for like 5yr until special delivery remix.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Craig Mack could have been something if not for back story. Didn't he get exposed for going to private school as a kid?....and Biggie not liking craig mack didn't help matters either, lol. Mack was ghost for like 5yr until special delivery remix.

You right, HIGH KEY...

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Nah, crack changed hip hop.

Crack killed Hip Hop.

Hip Hop, as defined from its original as a NYC "wave your hands in the air like you just don't care" deejay party culture.

The crack trade introduced a commercial version of rap music (not Hip Hop) that emphasized glorified storytelling
related to the sex, money and murder related to the industry.

Jay is probably the first and most successful, explicitly crack-trade image rapper.