Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
The south killed hip-hop period.
How can a top 5 GOAT set the shyt back?
Wayne set the shyt back.
That dumb ass Crunk shyt set the shyt back.
Master p juggin the world with trash ass artists and songs set the shyt back.
Ringtone/Snap music set the shyt back.
Strip club rap set the shyt back.
TRAP MUSIC murdered the shyt.

Hov bragging about not being a rapper all while being the nicest nikka out dropping classic after classic did nothing harmful.

Jay created a mindset where disrespecting the culture you're a part of became cool. Even though, in practice, he respected the craft, he help the legitimation of wack rappers.

You talk about the South : they had the same mentality with Master P et co . But Jay was the most vocal or the more heard when he was saying that nonsense.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Jay was on a different level with it. Big was still talking about robbing people so you knew he was never more than a nickel and dime hustler. Jay on the other hand presented himself as a kingpin right away. I thought it was a gimmick at first due to the Mafioso thing being cool at the time. But his second album he proved that's who he really was

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
The south killed hip-hop period.
How can a top 5 GOAT set the shyt back?
Wayne set the shyt back.
That dumb ass Crunk shyt set the shyt back.
Master p juggin the world with trash ass artists and songs set the shyt back.
Ringtone/Snap music set the shyt back.
Strip club rap set the shyt back.
TRAP MUSIC murdered the shyt.

Hov bragging about not being a rapper all while being the nicest nikka out dropping classic after classic did nothing harmful.

Why do some of you nikkaz keep saying crazy shyt like this. Hip hop ain’t dead/ dying :mindblown:

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Well wasn't just him but a lot of people start jumping on that bandwagon.

I remember Nas even talking crazy about Tribe Called Quest because it was a street Nigggas. They where setting a bad precedence.

Notice you started seeing the cat blows, tribe called quest's, they lostCalled quest's, de la souls fade from the scene around the late 90s early 2000s.

notice you started seeing more lackluster east coast rappers that was being put on by they boys like Memphis Bleek:lolbron: .

Simple fact that nikka Memphis Bleek thought he could even stand next to Nas:mjlol:.

Bleek wasn’t trash at all though.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Reasonable Doubt flopped in 96... that shyt didn’t sell outside of NYC. If it wasn’t for the “Ain’t no nikka” no one would have heard of Jay Z back then and that’s only cause the sibgle was in the nutty professor...

Jay started to blow up in 98 when Vol. 2 came out... all of those singles ... “can I get a...”, “money, cash, hoes”, “hard knock life”...

Jay reached his peak at blueprint and hasn’t done anything great since... and blueprint wasn’t as great as people make it out to be, IMO..

He took biggies spot for the KONY cause NaS is a pothead with no business acumen.

This is complete bullshyt:dead:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
It wasn’t JZ t was the era. In the 90s about 4/5 rap cds were bought by whites. They weren’t trying to hear Ernst stories of urban struggle. They wanted crack slinger fukkery. I grew up with that generation of white kids listening to those shytty fake satanic rock bands. Hip hop was a step up on the "rebel against mommy and daddy" music scale. The message changed when WE stopped being the target audience. Guys like Russel Simmons admit that was their business plan

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get what the OP is saying, but it's Jay-Z's success that has made him a terrible role model for black people. For some odd reason, people want to actually believe Jay-Z was some drug lord which is most probably not true at all. Where is the proof that Jay-Z was the Felix Mitchell he raps about? Jay-Z is one of the richest black men in the world. And people believe his :duck: of losing 92 bricks. Why are people so adamant of protecting Jay-Z's alleged image as a former drug lord as if it's something to be proud of? :dahell: Why does that make him "real"? If selling crack to pregnant mothers and and shooting at people you went to elementary school with makes you "real" call me fake as fukk because I grew up in the inner city in Cali in the early 90's and that shyt is nothing to fukking glorify. :ufdup:

Jay-Z is a Rap legend, not a street legend. But you have young black males using Reasonable Doubt as a blueprint for success. Truth is, if you try to live out Jay-Z lyrics starting out from his alleged hustling days, you're going to end up dead or in prison. :skip: Bobby Shmurda reminded us of that. If you're selling dope in the hood, chances are you're not going to become a multimillionaire Rap mogul. :martin: In some ways, Jay-Z is the ultimate industry plant of the last 20 years. I remember in 1997 to 1998 prior to Hard Knock Life and seeing Reasonable Doubt and In My Lifetime Vol. I sitting on the shelf collecting dust in Best Buy and nobody knew who he was while every new weekly No Limit release was in the front of the store on the best sellers shelf.

Prior to Jay, rappers didn't really glorify drug dealing and hustling. Most hardcore rap 93-95' was all about describing how terrible it was to be a street level hustler on the streets of Any Ghetto, USA. Yeah, Jay had a song called "Regrets" on Reasonable Doubt, but it sounds bouncy and melodic not full of stress and pain. :ld:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Jay-Z and Camp Lo was the same chit, and when both their debuts dropped Camp Lo did better.

There wasn't no overnight turnover to East Coast niccas (ergo "everybody else") rappin' about hustling just because of him.
Hell - you could argue Biggie is the nicca for that...

It's not that Jay was the first to talk about hustling.

He was the first credible one to act like he didn't care about rapping as much as he cared about "business".

If he wasn't a credible dude from New York, it never would've worked.

Didn't read past page one, but your not describing jigga breh, ice t was before him with the whole "I'm a Hustler not a rapper" gimmic :yeshrug:

Ice-T was from California and wasn't held to the standards that a Brooklyn MC was.

"Gangsta Rap" was a novelty back when Ice-T was coming out. It was almost like a gimmick that most people thought wouldn't ever sell or be popular.

Jay came on the heels of Biggie & Nas' success. Those guys were seen as the best in Hip-Hop and Jay is supposed to be follow them.

Nah, crack changed hip hop. Rap was always giving voice to young men from the hood. The 80s saw the level of violence and drugs in the hood skyrocket and the cats in that era were different from the ones before. More cats were hustling than ever because there were more drugs, more money to be made selling them AND far more broken families and absentee parents who were strung out or locked up. Those 70s babies that came up hustling in 80s and early 90s brought that to hip hop and it wouldve happened regardless of what JayZ did. Shoot Id say Master P did more to contribute to that attitude than anyone cause he clearly couldnt rap but hustled his way to the top. Puff, Baby, 50, Jeezy, all them followed more the example of P than Jay

To be fair, crack era Hip-Hop from (1986-1996) is the best era of Hip-Hop:yeshrug:

The difference is when dudes started abandoning the artform of Hip-Hop for the art of "hustle"

That perception is likely due to generation differences.

Nobody in 1986 is thinking of Run-DMC as broke. They were considered as big and as wealthy as any super
successful rock or pop group.

empire.jpg

2304ffd3cfaef74da99170d1b4c22d51--run-dmc-old-magazines.jpg

That's completely false.

Yeah, we knew Run-DMC wasn't broke, but we knew they weren't selling as many records as Guns N Roses and The Rolling Stones were.

Rap music was seen as not even real music back then, much less something that could make guys as rich as Paul McCartney & Sting are.

Run & them were seen as just a little bit richer than everybody else in the hood.

We used to think rappers actually lived in the hood and a lot of them did because they didn't make that much money.

Nobody envisioned Eric B & Rakim hanging out with Bill Gates and vacationing in The Hamptons or something.

We pictured them doing the same shyt as us, but on a little bit higher level.

This

Wayne is one of my GOATs but everybody wanna be tatted up, drugged out and say whatever reckless shyt on the beat....it produced some good records but damn its a bad standard

Hip-Hop was fukked WAYYYYYYY before Wayne:russ:was on top

Wayne didn't reach his peak until like 2008 or something. Hell, Nas made Hip-Hop is dead in 2006. Anybody who actually loved Hip-Hop had been complaining about it since the late '90s

I agree and can we blame bad boy too?

QlKxqZf.gif

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
It's not that Jay was the first to talk about hustling.

He was the first credible one to act like he didn't care about rapping as much as he cared about "business".

If he wasn't a credible dude from New York, it never would've worked.

Ice-T was from California and wasn't held to the standards that a Brooklyn MC was.

"Gangsta Rap" was a novelty back when Ice-T was coming out. It was almost like a gimmick that most people thought wouldn't ever sell or be popular.

Jay came on the heels of Biggie & Nas' success. Those guys were seen as the best in Hip-Hop and Jay is supposed to be follow them.

To be fair, crack era Hip-Hop from (1986-1996) is the best era of Hip-Hop:yeshrug:

The difference is when dudes started abandoning the artform of Hip-Hop for the art of "hustle"

That's completely false.

Yeah, we knew Run-DMC wasn't broke, but we knew they weren't selling as many records as Guns N Roses and The Rolling Stones were.

Rap music was seen as not even real music back then, much less something that could make guys as rich as Paul McCartney & Sting are.

Run & them were seen as just a little bit richer than everybody else in the hood.

We used to think rappers actually lived in the hood and a lot of them did because they didn't make that much money.

Nobody envisioned Eric B & Rakim hanging out with Bill Gates and vacationing in The Hamptons or something.

We pictured them doing the same shyt as us, but on a little bit higher level.

Hip-Hop was fukked WAYYYYYYY before Wayne:russ:was on top

Wayne didn't reach his peak until like 2008 or something. Hell, Nas made Hip-Hop is dead in 2006. Anybody who actually loved Hip-Hop had been complaining about it since the late '90s

QlKxqZf.gif
I’m not saying Wayne killed hip hop, I’m saying he’s partially responsible for the influx of druggie rappers with all sorts of dumbass tattoos.