Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

No Hook

Feet On Land
Daps
Reppin
Philly
:rudy: Yes it was. At least with the hustlers it was. Not only that but it was one of those Slow Burn albums that really took a while to take off.

Don't try to bring that hustler shyt into it :comeon:
Not saying nikkas wasn't listening to him but It was far from huge in philly like you claimed hustler or no hustler. Jay didn't start getting a real buzz in philly until Vo.1 dropped

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
Agrees with this here... Jay wasn't the first or hottest one saying that shyt, dudes in every region was doing it...

Disagrees with this... Aside from saying they started it, no.... It doesn't belong to NY, hasn't for a long time & them doing it best is your opinion, not bottom line...

I mean most of the stuff post 96 and outside of New York is just garbage simple and plain.

And when they brought in all those one chord keyboard Beats chord keyboard Beats I was done.

That being said I honestly believe Scarface and Ice Cube are top 5 rappers.

But its whatever. Im old so...

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Actually Jay-Z fill the void that biggie left.

That gang banging shiit cause the west coast to implode on itself. Low-key they would have still ran hip hop today.

You got a billion dollar industry by the balls and he went to kill each other over colors.:mjlol: Unbelievable.

But you have some damn good hip hop coming out of East Coast between 92 to 95. Artistically speaking hip hop is New York.

Yeah this plenty of great records from all around the country that are great but truthfully hip hop belongs in New York . It's it belongs to them and they traditionally do it the best bottom line.
It’s funny now it feel like people don’t trip off colors no more in hip hop. TDE full of crips and bloods.

1999-2004 I was coming of age and I actually liked that era. I couldn’t stand Jay Z back then. I was all about DMX and the Ruff Ryders. :mjlol:

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Don't try to bring that hustler shyt into it :comeon:
Not saying nikkas wasn't listening to him but It was far from huge in philly like you claimed hustler or no hustler. Jay didn't start getting a real buzz in philly until Vo.1 dropped

:comeon:Niggga how you going to tell me?

I remember when in my lifetime came out he was on Power 99 and said his sells and Philly were only second to his sells in New York in New York as in Philly. Maybe in your hood and catch on to Volume 1. I don't know but I know a lot of dudes that was on to his very first album. Brooklyn's and Ain't No nikka this finest put that album on the Map...

Daps
Reppin
#TEAMSTRICKLAND
He was being himself. :gucci:...Was he supposed to rap like Brand Nubian?

He was a caked up dopeboy with Versace swagger. Wtf was he supposed to rap about. Blame the people who weren't being authentic and true to themselves.

Exactly, I blame the copy-cats who tried to imitate his swag and style but could only be a corny, cheap off-brand, cheesy version of him. Jay-Z was being himself, had legit talent and made solid albums but these corny biters who came after viewed rap as a thing to be famous and rich quick with it.

Imitators are always corny and quickly saturate the market.

Well I'm a fan. I mean somewhat.

I just think people don't remember what it was like it at that time. 96-97 was a huge fragmentation and Hip Hop from the way it was from 86 to 95. Thats when the product started to get real water down.

96-97 was the period when rap became extremely popular and mainstream. The watering down process was to follow naturally as with any movement or musical genre gets popular like that.

No Hook

Feet On Land
Daps
Reppin
Philly
:comeon:Niggga how you going to tell me?

I remember when in my lifetime came out he was on Power 99 and said his sells and Philly were only second to his sells in New York in New York as in Philly. Maybe in your hood and catch on to Volume 1. I don't know but I know a lot of dudes that was on to his very first album. Brooklyn's and Ain't No nikka this finest put that album on the Map...

Yea when Im My Lifetime dropped I can believe it. So just becasue your hood was listening to it it was huge in philly as a whole right? :russ:
And it sales not sells :mjlol:

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Yea when Im My Lifetime dropped I can believe it. So just becasue your hood was listening to it it was huge in philly as a whole right? :russ:
And it sales not sells :mjlol:

I'm using autocorrect on a speaking device. I don't know what part of Philly you live in but that was a big album from Summer 96 all the way to like spring 97.

That and ghetto millionaire by Royal Flush were low-key hits in Philly.

Hungerpain

Banned
Daps
The south killed hip-hop period.
How can a top 5 GOAT set the shyt back?
Wayne set the shyt back.
That dumb ass Crunk shyt set the shyt back.
Master p juggin the world with trash ass artists and songs set the shyt back.
Ringtone/Snap music set the shyt back.
Strip club rap set the shyt back.
TRAP MUSIC murdered the shyt.

Hov bragging about not being a rapper all while being the nicest nikka out dropping classic after classic did nothing harmful.