Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Perhaps y'all weren't fully aware at the time. Maybe you were like 3 and you're extrapolating.

The change was NWA.

Before NWA there were 67 types of rap from happy to conscious to rappity rap to party muic to war music to love rap.

After NWA everything was gangsta rap.

JZ isn't special as far as his worldview or approach. By the time of RD this change was in full swing.

THAT'S WHY JZ IS GANSTA RAPPER INSTEAD OF A RAPPITY RAPPER

You know JZ likes to spit that rapid fire shyt (he hasn't written anything like that since early on that I can remember).

Hawaiian Sophie was the opposite of gangsta rap. They he switched to it exclusively just like Hip Hop itself did.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Kendrick Lamar is basically Arrested Development in 2018, with that fake deep nonsense. And no one's complaining about that
Why do people say this about Kendrick? Most of the time, he's rapping about his own personal experiences. If he's fake deep, who would be an example of legit deep?

King Poetic

Godfather of Mariana Trench
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bottoms
Who killed hip hop was white and c00n ass executives in the music offices and the radio period

I grew up and it was a mixture of hip hop on radio from street to political...

Then radio station wanted to out do each other cause howard stern was bringing ratchet shyt on air and he was making a killing and then music radio was like yeah, let's get crazy with it as well

Can't blame NWA, JayZ or others for being themselves..

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
Naw breh. Jay was on priority at the time. When he signed to Def Jam is when he started getting a real buzz. New York wasn't even fukking wit Jay Z like that around then. You went from huge in philly to low key hits :mjlol:

Ain't no nikka ain't go platinum let alone gold :snoop:
Reasonable Doubt didn't go platinum until 6 years later :dahell:
If you're gonna make a Jay-Z thread saying he "messed up hip hop low key" at least get your facts straight :ufdup:

:rudy: Jay was never ON Priority. Rocafella was DISTRIBUTED by Priority AND Freeze Records.

The fact that you negged me over my opinion of Jayz career from 5 days ago tell you typical clown Niggga. This subject is more important to than your health:mjlol:.
Keep debating this for aonther 10 day just keep out of the conversation.

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Who killed hip hop was white and c00n ass executives in the music offices and the radio period

I grew up and it was a mixture of hip hop on radio from street to political...

Then radio station wanted to out do each other cause howard stern was bringing ratchet shyt on air and he was making a killing and then music radio was like yeah, let's get crazy with it as well

Can't blame NWA, JayZ or others for being themselves..

If you think you NWA being themselves
then your a had bit slow youngin'.
NWA was all an act to make money.

King Poetic

Godfather of Mariana Trench
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bottoms
If you think you NWA being themselves
then your a had bit slow youngin'.
NWA was all an act to make money.

i'm old homie

Eazy and Ren wasn't a act they was in the streets.. i know cause they both grew up in my aunt and grandparents areas in compton and they still have family in the area...hell eazy daughter is always around

and anyway majority of rappers are nothing but acts trying to make money

No Hook

Feet On Land
Daps
Reppin
Philly
:rudy: Jay was never ON Priority. Rocafella was DISTRIBUTED by Priority AND Freeze Records.

The fact that you negged me over my opinion of Jayz career from 5 days ago tell you typical clown Niggga. This subject is more important to than your health:mjlol:.
Keep debating this for aonther 10 day just keep out of the conversation.

I negged you because you were making up shyt. Just like you're doing now by telling me negging you is more important than my health. You're in the red for a reason. Your opinions are ass

Last edited:

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
Reasonable Doubt flopped in 96... that shyt didn’t sell outside of NYC. If it wasn’t for the “Ain’t no nikka” no one would have heard of Jay Z back then and that’s only cause the sibgle was in the nutty professor...

Jay started to blow up in 98 when Vol. 2 came out... all of those singles ... “can I get a...”, “money, cash, hoes”, “hard knock life”...

Jay reached his peak at blueprint and hasn’t done anything great since... and blueprint wasn’t as great as people make it out to be, IMO..

He took biggies spot for the KONY cause NaS is a pothead with no business acumen.
Reasonable Doubt did not flop. The album certified GOLD in less than 3 months after its released date, and Dead President was certified Gold in 1996. Jay was been bubbling and achieving success before the ascension of his international fame.

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
I negged you because you were making up shyt. Just like you're doing now by telling me negging you is more important than my health. You're in the red for a reason. Your opinions are ass

Again you have no idea what you're talking about In fact I still don't know what your point is.
I proved you wrong in so many ways not even funny. But carry on.

Reasonable Doubt did not flop. The album certified GOLD in less than 3 months after its released date, and Dead President was certified Gold in 1996. Jay was been bubbling and achieving success before the ascension of his international fame.

Exactly. Somebody finally understands and gets it right. Fucck these idiots.

mcellas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami
UGK been on that , this is why the South started winning. Jay used the South's "Hustler Rap" made it mainstream and the Southern artists surfed off that.

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
Ice T had the hustler turned rapper persona in 1987. Groups like tribe & de la became less popular because radio were allowed to play more hip hop in the late 90’s causing other races of listeners to grow up on the music. Whites & Asians just won’t buy pro black music but will buy movie script type street music out of curiosity. Jay z helped hip hop if anything. Black owned record label with black executives set a tone.