Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
The south killed hip-hop period.
How can a top 5 GOAT set the shyt back?
Wayne set the shyt back.
That dumb ass Crunk shyt set the shyt back.
Master p juggin the world with trash ass artists and songs set the shyt back.
Ringtone/Snap music set the shyt back.
Strip club rap set the shyt back.
TRAP MUSIC murdered the shyt.

Hov bragging about not being a rapper all while being the nicest nikka out dropping classic after classic did nothing harmful.

Yeah but outkast and Scarface though...

Daps
Reasonable Doubt flopped in 96... that shyt didn’t sell outside of NYC. If it wasn’t for the “Ain’t no nikka” no one would have heard of Jay Z back then and that’s only cause the sibgle was in the nutty professor...

Jay started to blow up in 98 when Vol. 2 came out... all of those singles ... “can I get a...”, “money, cash, hoes”, “hard knock life”...

Jay reached his peak at blueprint and hasn’t done anything great since... and blueprint wasn’t as great as people make it out to be, IMO..

He took biggies spot for the KONY cause NaS is a pothead with no business acumen.

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Reasonable Doubt flopped in 96... that shyt didn’t sell outside of NYC. If it wasn’t for the “Ain’t no nikka” no one would have heard of Jay Z back then and that’s only cause the sibgle was in the nutty professor...

Jay started to blow up in 98 when Vol. 2 came out... all of those singles ... “can I get a...”, “money, cash, hoes”, “hard knock life”...

Jay reached his peak at blueprint and hasn’t done anything great since... and blueprint wasn’t as great as people make it out to be, IMO..

He took biggies spot for the KONY cause NaS is a pothead with no business acumen.

Reasonable Doubt went gold. Then like a year later and went platinum. Ain't No nikka went platinum by myself as a single. The album was not flop by any means.

The rest the rest of what you said for the most part I agree with...

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Prior to Jay Z rappers sound broke AF. Jay sound like a rich dude for real. I’m 34. I used to read all the magazines around his 1st album. There was a aura about him and his past. He was kind of mythical with his street past. Because unlike Biggie, Pac, & Nas debuts it didn’t seem like Jay “needed” rap.

So that persona fit him so well as a hustler. I be lol when people say the only reason he hot was because Big & Pac died. Why Nas, DMX, Wu, Snoop, Cube, LL, Mase, and whoever else didn’t get that spot? They all were much bigger. Why was Jay thrown to the top? It wasn’t like he had a machine behind him that they all didn’t.

Detractors downplay Jay “but but RD wasn’t popping” the shyt went gold in the midst of 2PAC domination of 96’. In 97’ Hov was plat. By 98’ the throne was his. So saying all that yes Jay influenced the game in a bad way. The product just became more water down version of the last guy the bit his style. Now we are here and the music is all bad

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Prior to Jay Z rappers sound broke AF. Jay sound like a rich dude for real. I’m 34. I used to read all the magazines around his 1st album. There was a aura about him and his past. He was kind of mythical with his street past. Because unlike Biggie, Pac, & Nas debuts it didn’t seem like Jay “needed” rap.

So that persona fit him so well as a hustler. I be lol when people say the only reason he hot was because Big & Pac died. Why Nas, DMX, Wu, Snoop, Cube, LL, Mase, and whoever else didn’t get that spot? They all were much bigger. Why was Jay thrown to the top? It wasn’t like he had a machine behind him that they all didn’t.

Detractors downplay Jay “but but RD wasn’t popping” the shyt went gold in the midst of 2PAC domination of 96’. In 97’ Hov was plat. By 98’ the throne was his. So saying all that yes Jay influenced the game in a bad way. The product just became more water down version of the last guy the bit his style. Now we are here and the music is all bad

True.

No Hook

Feet On Land
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm using autocorrect on a speaking device. I don't know what part of Philly you live in but that was a big album from Summer 96 all the way to like spring 97.

That and ghetto millionaire by Royal Flush were low-key hits in Philly.

Naw breh. Jay was on priority at the time. When he signed to Def Jam is when he started getting a real buzz. New York wasn't even fukking wit Jay Z like that around then. You went from huge in philly to low key hits :mjlol:

Reasonable Doubt went gold. Then like a year later and went platinum. Ain't No nikka went platinum by myself as a single. The album was not flop by any means.

The rest the rest of what you said for the most part I agree with...

Ain't no nikka ain't go platinum let alone gold :snoop:
Reasonable Doubt didn't go platinum until 6 years later :dahell:
If you're gonna make a Jay-Z thread saying he "messed up hip hop low key" at least get your facts straight :ufdup:

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Naw breh. Jay was on priority at the time. When he signed to Def Jam is when he started getting a real buzz. New York wasn't even fukking wit Jay Z like that around then. You went from huge in philly to low key hits :mjlol:

Ain't no nikka ain't go platinum let alone gold :snoop:
Reasonable Doubt didn't go platinum until 6 years later :dahell:
If you're gonna make a Jay-Z thread saying he "messed up hip hop low key" at least get your facts straight :ufdup:

:shaq2: stop dude. Just stop.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Nah, crack changed hip hop. Rap was always giving voice to young men from the hood. The 80s saw the level of violence and drugs in the hood skyrocket and the cats in that era were different from the ones before. More cats were hustling than ever because there were more drugs, more money to be made selling them AND far more broken families and absentee parents who were strung out or locked up. Those 70s babies that came up hustling in 80s and early 90s brought that to hip hop and it wouldve happened regardless of what JayZ did. Shoot Id say Master P did more to contribute to that attitude than anyone cause he clearly couldnt rap but hustled his way to the top. Puff, Baby, 50, Jeezy, all them followed more the example of P than Jay