Let me reminisce on the first wave of the Internet Hip-Hop scene 1996-2000

BastardChild

Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Daps
Reppin
Bridgeport , CT To Columbia , SC
ahaaa yo I used to cyber sex mad broads on aol....then I moved on to gettin the digits and callin em up, sometimes long distance for phone sex. I met this one rican chick from queens in person but she never wanted to give it up so I said fukk it.

That cyber shyt was hilarious in retrospect though.

"Nice pic, wanna cyber?":shaq:

"Sure" :wub:

"Aight, let me kiss on your neck girl. Now im moving back and forth between kissin your neck and your lips. My dikk is growing real fast. I cant wait to taste that puss" :noah:

:laff::laff::laff::laff:

Edit: AOL used to have mods in the public chats with the letters TOS in front of their names, and if they caught u cursing they would boot your ass off AOL and you would have to wait 5 days and then call them up on the 800 number to reactivate your account. STEVE CASE WAS A fukkIN fakkit.
i drove to NYC for some buns to... bytch showed up looking way different than her pic.. me and my boys bounced..

was like 17 - 18.. just imagined all the heads getting CATFISHED back then.. before webcams and all that shyt

Daps
Man I remember having to Download albums overnight on the cheap azz 56K connection. Then a nikka discovered the cheap ass Real Audio Files that downloaded in less than half the time.

Also remember Using WinAmp a lot. A nikka had to convert mp3s to big azz Wav files so they could be burned to disc. As a former bootlegger also remember in high school when them Eminem and NSYNC albums dropped and nobody in school had them shyts but me, damn near a month early. Slanging to teachers and students.

Hitting bytches with ASL? in the chat rooms. Haha

The day a nikka discovered SOHH. Fukk a Project Covo. The original SOHH.

The good ol days...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
nah breh... findin that rare song, only it was in red meaning it would take literally all day to dl... then its finally dl'd and you go to listen to it and it was some ol bullshyt someone named wrong just to trick you... fukk that old napster shyt. When Kazaa came thats when shyt got real, then it got shut down and limewire popped up... then bearshare. I had all the songs.

yea, i always thought kazaa was the best as well.

it had its fair share of bullchit too, but it was better than napster.

My memory of the internet hip-hop scene back from '96 and on is hazy, too busy tryin' to scheme on girls in the AOL chat rooms. :skip: Also vaguely remember some hip-hop discussion "poster boards" from Prodigy in the '95 or timeline. Talk about early forums.

lol. PRODIGY was like the O.G. of this. correct me if im wrong.

fun fact: those prodigy commercials they used to show during football games are what got me into computers in the 1st place.

compuserve had that wave too.

then AOL crushed all the buildings.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You had the internet in 93? Your parents must be rich.

nah.

i had Prodigy internet in late '94/early '95 tho. i didnt have it long. but i had compuserve for a minute in '96.

my grandpop had the hook-up with computers. im not sure how exactly, but he did. my parents had nothing to do with it.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
the Real Audio battle scene was my thing but textceeing was something I was kinda into at one point too. Anyways...if anything below rings a bell to anyone, let it be known!:

CenterStage (Freesteelo ran the show) - a bunch of yall CunninLynguist dudes got your start on here like Dj Kno, Cashmere the PROfessional, Deacon the Villain etc

The old AOL crews like JFC FML TM MLC (That nikka JFCxSniper was looked at like the Rakim of AOL)

Sethro

HomegrownHipHopZone

You forgot Davey D's, arguably the oldest one of 'em all, lol.....alotta those cats you named posted on there too (particularly the PROfessional, and Canibus posted on Davey D's once as "Mudfoot"). Jugga's name on Davey D was Jugganott, before he shortened it.

Alotta those cats from Davy D's also ended up competing in that Blaze Magazine national rap battle back in the day.

Like someone else said, cats DID battle other boards like it was block vs. block, on some textceeing shyt. :heh:

Carbone

Rookie
Daps
Wow. I was googling old shyt reminiscing and this thread came up. Aol boards
Jfcxsniper jfcxsniper twdxtragic fmlxvirus. I was,mlcxcapone. Wow this takes me back.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We grown now. Welcome :mjcry:

Jfcxsniper jfcxsniper twdxtragic fmlxvirus. I was,mlcxcapone. Wow this takes me back.

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

daaaaaaammmnnn......aight you are the first person to reply so far showing any familiarity with that old AOL format....rap.battles and then A Perfect Murder. One of the first dudes I remember battling was your boy MLCxRoscoe

Carbone

Rookie
Daps
Yes I remember Roscoe....damn .

JFC, FML, UGA were the 3 tops crews when I got there. TwD came around. I remember Tru Masters was the group of "allstars". And yes JFCxSniper was like RAKIM lol . I remember going to chat rooms with the crew to battle other crews. Soon as that board shut down I went to rapmusic .com

Last edited:

SwagKingKong

All Star
Daps
1996 is a little too early for me..

I was writing "keystyles" and battling on hiphop boards around 2000-2003 though. the og outlawrecordz.com site, before it went down. dpgrecordz.com, btnh-board, d12-board, cell-block.com etc. :whew:

im getting real old brehs :mjcry:

• Dap
Reactions: ADP