Let me reminisce on the first wave of the Internet Hip-Hop scene 1996-2000

Carbone

Rookie
Daps
yeah when I made this thread I had no clue that a bunch of the AOL heads from the 90s would come out the woodwork. dudes like Nevasoba inspired me to step my pen game up. I looked up to alot of yall and yall gave me jewels that I still use today in my music. much love to all of u straight up

Same for me , we talked about it before ..it was like another world, so I looked at a sniper , virus , neva and a few others as bosses . I remember trying out for FML and being nervous when I sent them my verse ..Got rejected and was devastated haha

Good shyt.. Would love if more showed up .

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
Does anyone remember MP2's?

RNS...the gods.

RNS, APC, KSi ... I forget...but there were a couple more. KSI leaked one of Eminem's albums a full week before it was scheduled to drop. Rumor was their supplier worked at a CD pressing plant.

I know someone who was deep in one of those EFNet mp3 groups ...one of the ones mentioned above...and he ended up getting indicted. There were two 'big' busts that happened one in 2001 and one in 2003

I loved "the internet 1.0" before literally every mouse click was monetized. it felt like the wild west. every day you'd find something new and be like :ooh::ooh::ooh:. it felt like you were part of some secret society or something. you had to have a little bit of know-how to navigate around. now it's totally different. no more vibes. low barrier of entry. feel like a part of a secret society if you're NOT putting your whole life on front street for the internet now:flabbynsick:

If you had a CD burner in '98 you could make some guap. I was a generous kid though making mixes and albums for people for free. we used to rack spindles of blank CDs (when blanks were almost $1 per peice) so it was all profit anyway. Verbatim made the best blanks. I know this is about music and the early internet rap scene but the best shyt was SVCD movies and downloading ISOs of playstation games with the mod chip :jawalrus:

Last edited:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
RNS, APC, KSi ... I forget...but there were a couple more. KSI leaked one of Eminem's albums a full week before it was scheduled to drop. Rumor was their supplier worked at a CD pressing plant.

I know someone who was deep in one of those EFNet mp3 groups ...one of the ones mentioned above...and he ended up getting indicted. There were two 'big' busts that happened one in 2001 and one in 2003

I loved "the internet 1.0" before literally every mouse click was monetized. it felt like the wild west. every day you'd find something new and be like :ooh::ooh::ooh:. it felt like you were part of some secret society or something. you had to have a little bit of know-how to navigate around. now it's totally different. no more vibes. low barrier of entry. feel like a part of a secret society if you're NOT putting your whole life on front street for the internet now:flabbynsick:

If you had a CD burner in '98 you could make some guap. I was a generous kid though making mixes and albums for people for free. we used to rack spindles of blank CDs (when blanks were almost $1 per peice) so it was all profit anyway. Verbatim made the best blanks. I know this is about music and the early internet rap scene but the best shyt was SVCD movies and downloading ISOs of playstation games with the mod chip :jawalrus:

Breh said SVCD and ISO games :salute: x 10 Got those FTPs on lock. On them 4x burners getting that lunch money from the kids at school.

SO many albums leaked early and it pissed off every single artist and executive in the industry. What a time to be alive and know where to go on the Internet. :blessed:

Nevasoba

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
Let’s revive this again lol anyone got something to convert all these old RA files? I got this dope joint with Deacon the Villain and Lenny S

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
I had a southern rap dedicated website that had like 3k albums in ra format. Was my shyt when the south hit i had everything on smash at low quality.

Internet pre 98 was all hardcore computer nerd shyt. You can look up usenet boards and see @Art Barr on them from like 93 lmao. You a legend of internet hip hop bro.

Wu tang had like 10 websites with dedicated big forums the size of like 1/3 of the coli. Good times as a kid on the come up.

2000s was a golden era.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
You forgot Davey D's, arguably the oldest one of 'em all, lol.....alotta those cats you named posted on there too (particularly the PROfessional, and Canibus posted on Davey D's once as "Mudfoot"). Jugga's name on Davey D was Jugganott, before he shortened it.

Alotta those cats from Davy D's also ended up competing in that Blaze Magazine national rap battle back in the day.

Like someone else said, cats DID battle other boards like it was block vs. block, on some textceeing shyt. :heh:

*parkerlewis

Auran Dayspring Askani @ daveyd = Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I had a southern rap dedicated website that had like 3k albums in ra format. Was my shyt when the south hit i had everything on smash at low quality.

Internet pre 98 was all hardcore computer nerd shyt. You can look up usenet boards and see @Art Barr on them from like 93 lmao. You a legend of internet hip hop bro.

Wu tang had like 10 websites with dedicated big forums the size of like 1/3 of the coli. Good times as a kid on the come up.

2000s was a golden era.

I was not on boards.

Till 1997..
When I made it profitable.
for you to get on at 56k to dedicated sir.

You can thank me for making high speed profitable enough.
so your place of residence.
had a company with the wherwithal and vision.
to have a company for you.
To connect to the net in the first place.

Art Barr

Not only am I ...
The protege to a legend: the series

I am also rhe guy who made the internet possible.
To enrich your sheltered computer nerd civilian face ass lives.

@Bugzbunny129

been funny as fukk for a long time.
Ayo bugz
Did you run ....?
Soundcircuit..
Or sumshytiwrote?

Art Barr

Last edited: