Let me reminisce on the first wave of the Internet Hip-Hop scene 1996-2000

Nevasoba

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
What's up yall... FMLXNEVA...who still on here!? I lost track of everybody except FMLx murder....I miss those days....I lost all that Perfect Murder shyt

Nevasoba

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
yeah its kinda sad that there is literally no record on the net of any of this shyt having happened, like it was some fantasy of mine. ahaha.

I could name drop everyone bruh, I was on those 2 boards since around 97. IAMFLY6000, JFC Raptor, SickRhymez. DropnJoulz, LordIllest and Awkw0rdz from Miami, TwDxSecta,

I remember this wop cat (pardon me if you are of that origin) TwdxPaisan who had this angelfire website dedicated to exposing dudes who would supposedly use writtens in a freestyle battle.

JFC Raptor was my dog back then, he was from BK I was in Mt Vernon so we would have phone cyphers n shyt. We both thought we would get signed.

When I was put on to Centerstage...I REALLY thought I was gonna get some exposure cause that site was full of big names.....Canibus had a couple battles on there under the name Colossus. The whole CunninLynguists crew was on there battling in Real Audio

@woochild and NapsNDreds were heavy on there. Im almost positive that WordPerfect cat was Eminem in disguise.
Hell yes I remember doing a joint called live wire emcees with deal the villain lol

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's up yall... FMLXNEVA...who still on here!? I lost track of everybody except FMLx murder....I miss those days....I lost all that Perfect Murder shyt

last I saw u was on SOHH in 1999 when Raekwon did a live chat thing to promo Immobilarity....I remember one of your questions went through....asking wtf "windbreaker laker throw a jumpshot scraper" meant and Rae just said I dont know but it sounds ill....lmfao

edit: you still got some old battles? Rap.Battles.aol was literally the ground zero for hip hop on the net. When we hijacked the Perfect Murder film discussion board in 98 and turned it into our own thing it kinda got watered down and folks kinda dispersed. still wack as fukk that AOL shut down our orignal board. middle fingers up to that fakkit steve case

Last edited:

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
nothing will ever top late 90s internet. i use to spend a good 4/5 hours a day in my computer chair. AOL server rooms were awesome. og napster was the greatest thing of all time. AIM. hiphopreviewz had the best exclusives of all time, still holds that title. I got the best music of my life on that site.

boxden blessed me for years some dude gave his name n pw, seventh sign. he was the man

Last edited:

Nevasoba

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
last I saw u was on SOHH in 1999 when Raekwon did a live chat thing to promo Immobilarity....I remember one of your questions went through....asking wtf "windbreaker laker throw a jumpshot scraper" meant and Rae just said I dont know but it sounds ill....lmfao

edit: you still got some old battles? Rap.Battles.aol was literally the ground zero for hip hop on the net. When we hijacked the Perfect Murder film discussion board in 98 and turned it into our own thing it kinda got watered down and folks kinda dispersed. still wack as fukk that AOL shut down our orignal board. middle fingers up to that fakkit steve case
I lost pretty much everything I have to try to revive some cd back-ups but might have some cassettes hahaha I used to throw everything on cassette.... How you been man?

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
I was on Nobodysmiling and used to type out some raps. Maybe it's cause I was just a kid, but the sense of community was so real. Like we have a FB group and everything.

My first yahoo messenger was freestylespy and I just used to run up in chatrooms and battle people. Some of them wasn't even hip hop rooms .

Edit ** I didnt see the date in thread title, I was just speaking on my "back in the day"

DoomzdayzV

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I lost pretty much everything I have to try to revive some cd back-ups but might have some cassettes hahaha I used to throw everything on cassette.... How you been man?

I been good bruh.........still doing the music thing but mostly RnB these days.

Im thinking about 1 cut in particular....I think it was you, Reaper, and Murder. It was over the Wu Tang "Its Yours" beat and the theme was some devil worship shyt....I remember the cut started with a sample of some kids singing "Jesus Loves Me this I Know"...some real ominous shyt. One of the only Netcee cuts I ever bumped in my car....ahahaha. If you got that one....post it up!!! What happened to Reaper....and FMLxJigga too....Jigga was a comedian man....good dude.

Edit: U was the only dude reppin Rhode Island on the boards right? hah

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
before SOHH

it was all about wutangworld.com w/ @King Sun
5 elements
shaolin sword swingers (One of first websites i ever saw with full mp3 links to all the rare wu shyt from sidegroups and off brand killer bees).
met a lot of cool heads during that era. word up to calculus, matthew scaletta aka wu-swordsman, crks411 who leaked the warcloud albums to me to trade for rare music, and royal monk who burnt me like 100 cds worth of rare wu material. miss these guys

i remember this southern rap page that had EVERYTHING in real audio. im talking HUNDREDS of mixtapes and albums that the average fan would have never heard thatw as popping in the south. I would download stuff there and sell bootlegs in school when np limit and cash moneyw as poppin.

hiphopinfinity is where i learned about the underground scene circa 2000. word to @Art Barr and magneto aka @FreshAIG. Place was filled with corny nerds tho but it put me onto a whole nother world than what was in The Source mags.pretty sure i found sohh through one of yall talking about it in the hhi forum.

hiphopsite was a dope place for streaming new songs n store.that and sandboxautomatic always had dope sales with shirts n posters attached to the albums.

i loved that time on the internet, hip hop was hitting its peak commercially and the underground was alive and well.

today teh underground is filled with garbage.. anyone who says "good music is out ther eyou just ahve to look" isnt lying but you have to look for a LONG ass time compared to the early 2000s when good music was floating everywhere.

Nevasoba

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
I been good bruh.........still doing the music thing but mostly RnB these days.

Im thinking about 1 cut in particular....I think it was you, Reaper, and Murder. It was over the Wu Tang "Its Yours" beat and the theme was some devil worship shyt....I remember the cut started with a sample of some kids singing "Jesus Loves Me this I Know"...some real ominous shyt. One of the only Netcee cuts I ever bumped in my car....ahahaha. If you got that one....post it up!!! What happened to Reaper....and FMLxJigga too....Jigga was a comedian man....good dude.

Edit: U was the only dude reppin Rhode Island on the boards right? hah
Yeah me and logic ( skeptic)...

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
I remember getting the original next episode on real audio. But I had to be ghetto as fukk, had a Walkman that could record so I would put the microphone up the speaker and record t that way, this was in about 98/99. I used to get into the college computer room and use their internet but they didn't have CD burners then so that's the only way I could get that stuff.