Latinos now trying to leech off R&B (Rolling Stone article)

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You didn't post anything that proved me wrong. I stay sonning you, don't you ever get tired of challenging me only to get proven wrong?

Reggae en Español - Wikipedia

vs

Reggaeton - Wikipedia

yeah, it's best you run before I serve you some more like what happened in this thread on your lack of knowledge about latinos in early hiphop

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/to-...-west-coast-sound.705965/page-8#post-33497565

:russ:
Yo. nikka played dumb. El General literally got x’ed out of history by them fukkin Puerto Rican’s cause of colorism. They ain’t even give him the credit for influencing they shyt. The radio over there was curving El General’s music for being “too black’. They came wit that watered down reggaeton shyt and put lighter faces on the shyt and erased this nikka. It’s literally the epitome of what this thread is about.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
True, though both Beyonce and Rihanna have made music that I consider more "pop" than R&B.

R&B is pop:ehh:

Pop is arbitrary term of course, but I think it counts for something. What else would you refer to Taylor Swift or Katy Perry's music as?

taylor swift has songs that can be indie , light country or even R&B (if they were done by a black artist). Katy Perry has many songs that are sonically "dance" music, some songs that R&B-HipHop and others I would throw into the indie

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Bruh I don’t even know what this nikka been arguing about. I literally said this shyt since the beginning and he just kept moving the argument around. This is a fact that can’t be disputed.

@smokeurobinson

always be
full

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
R&B is pop:ehh:

taylor swift has songs that can be indie , light country or even R&B (if they were done by a black artist). Katy Perry has many songs that are sonically "dance" music, some songs that R&B-HipHop and others I would throw into the indie

I think that's why it's easier to just refer to some of these musicians as "pop". Anyone who makes catchy, very mainstream sounding songs. But R&B is such a broad term now that I think you can apply it to a large chunk of pop music. Ariana Grande at this point is basically doing full fledged hip hop and R&B songs, but she's still not allowed in the booth :heh:.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
and if these kids are all growing up heavily influenced by a culture we know is worldwide, why be upset when they implement those sounds into their music?

Not every kid in Latin America grows up only wanting to hear music indigenous to their region. Most kids grow up with American influences more than they did before.

Im not mad at them for doing the music. My thing is, at least add something new/create something fresh that includes a piece of your own culture. Take latin boogaloo for example, that's how appropriation and flip is done w/o sounding like a pure jack move:ehh:

Ricans from New York

or chicano jazz/rock aka "the brown sound" from West Coast

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Im not mad at them for doing the music. My thing is, at least add something new/create something fresh that includes a piece of your own culture. Take latin boogaloo for example, that's how appropriation and flip is done w/o sounding like a pure jack move:ehh:

Ricans from New York

I think the chain is whatever AAs and Jamaicans are doing>gets recycled by Puerto Rico>becomes dominant sound of Latin America. I think Puerto Rico has greater ties to powerful record labels, which is why their music becomes the norm for all 20+ Spanish speaking countries.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I think the chain is whatever AAs and Jamaicans are doing>gets recycled by Puerto Rico>becomes dominant sound of Latin America. I think Puerto Rico has greater ties to powerful record labels, which is why their music becomes the norm for all 20+ Spanish speaking countries.

Puerto Ricans have been the most creative musically of all latin americans, excluding Brazil, probably since the 1960's so it makes sense, even today, why they're the taste makers for most modern latin americans. Especially, the non-Mexican, latin americans. Mexicans to a large degree had/have their own modern sounds

but they don't spread across Latin american the same way Rican music does.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

Ricans from New York

Well the spin is that they're doing it in their own language. If it wasn't in their language it would just be trap or reggae with more percussion. The music indigenous to where they are is on a different wavelength. It's not using anything modern and is largely based on instrumentation. There's more rigidity in those artforms. the only similarities in say, salsa or bachata and the latin R&B or even reggaeton is that it's based on romance. IMO, bachata in some ways is similar to country in that you pretty much know what the song will be about before they open their mouths.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
just like it wouldnt be no mike if he wasnt biting james brown

prince didnt bite rick...rick said that because he thought prince was a chick and wanted to fukk em..until he found out like ray charles and stevie wonder did..

n prince kicked rick ass every nite....performing ...rick hated performing after prince...

bb8aece8e55e986daa3f983b6a24e313.jpg

prince come thru the crowd on some sting shyt rydin big chick's back...fukkery ensue

made rick pitch a fit steal prince drum machine...

had mike and rick james both front row watchin purple rain...mad...

mike cried when prince left apollonia at lake minnetonka

rick got upset and stormed out after prince screamed at apollonia during the beautiful ones...all he could think about and see was him and teena marie in morris and apollonias position n prince singin to teena while he was sittin right there..

prince and teena toured together during the dirty mind tour... and rick hated it

hoe ass nikka rick..tried to tell her not to fukk with prince nomore because he didnt give his momma a autograph at the american music awards in 1982...:mjlol::russ:

I disagree Mike would have made it regardless, as good as a dancer he was he was an even a better singer/his voice was his best trait. Many lanes he could have went down:umad:.

Lb 4 lb Rick was better..

Had the better girl group/affiliates
Had the better band
Had a bigger prime run/didnt need no movie to help either
Its facts Prince used to open for dude and steal his shyt.

Morris/The Time used to outshine Prince during live shows and he in turn made it impossible for them to do work on their own albums.

I see you ducked the OG Shuggie Otis :ufdup:

:myman: no disrespect though

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I disagree Mike would have made it regardless, as good as a dancer he was he was an even a better singer/his voice was his best trait. Many lanes he could have went down:umad:.

Lb 4 lb Rick was better..

Had the better girl group/affiliates
Had the better band
Had a bigger prime run/didnt need no movie to help either
Its facts Prince used to open for dude and steal his shyt.

Morris/The Time used to outshine Prince during live shows and he in turn made it impossible for them to do work on their own albums.

I see you ducked the OG Shuggie Otis :ufdup:

:myman: no disrespect though

i see shuggie name i think of these covers...i leave that argument alone...

images
220px-Freedom_flight_cover.jpg

but everything else..we can go tit for tat...mike n rick died..who got the last laugh...then died..

img.jpg

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Yo. nikka played dumb. El General literally got x’ed out of history by them fukkin Puerto Rican’s cause of colorism. They ain’t even give him the credit for influencing they shyt. The radio over there was curving El General’s music for being “too black’. They came wit that watered down reggaeton shyt and put lighter faces on the shyt and erased this nikka. It’s literally the epitome of what this thread is about.

This is facts. When I was a jit it was all about el general and proyecto uno and that kinda wave. Reggaeton got white washed hard in PR but the dopest artists are still black/mulattos imo the good thing is that now Reggaeton got it's own scene in DR and Cubaton (Cuban reggaeton) is coming up in Miami and Latin America hard with Artists like Gente De Zona, El Micha, Chocolate, Yomil y Dany etc all Black dudes. I fukk with Anuel tho and Ozuna BB is kinda overrated. Lowkey Panamians and Colombians are dope as fukk tho but the most cringey shyt in the world is when these non African influenced Latino countries start trying to push their artists hard as fukk. I'm talking about Mexican and Salvadorian reggaeton :huhldup: I like how Univison always says somebody has a 'Caribbean flavor' when they speak :mjpls: aka the Spanish version of calling someone Urban

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
I hate pop reggaeton but like actual reggaeton which is like someone said just Latin dancehall

When it's true to the roots you can really groove to it but all that computerized, mid 2000s chart blowing stuff was all cheeks

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
in other words

:laff:

LOL @ u responding like a scorned sidepiece getting mad after explaining to u that I wanted to spend this hot sunny day BBQing with my real family instead of u. I told your scary ass I'll be back to put my dikk in your mouth later. All that extra shyt was unnessessary....My dikk cant be in your mouth 24/7 like u want...Thats not realistic. Just shut the fukk up and wait for daddy to come back when he's good and ready like a good bytch.

:steviej:

When u disappeared from the thread for hours I didnt say no weirdo shyt like "Oh he ran from his own thread..Hold this L" Because I live in reality and assumed u were probably busy. So I just waited until u returned. Yet u being so busy stuck in fantasy land, u return to your thread way after I already spent time and respond with some weirdo fukkboy shyt as if expecting me to just drop my plans in reality to keep focusing on a bullshyt topic on a messageboard all day.

:rudy:

My reality > Your fantasy world.

But now that I'm back let me just say....If I post receipts and you cover your ears and eyes and go "naaa naaa na na naaa na...I cant hear u" then thats on you. But thats like me punching u in the face, everyone saw it...yet u respond with "You never punched me in my face"...Even tho everyone saw me punch u in the face.

Go ahead and act like u didnt see me post this article.

:sas2:

:duck::shaq2:

So who am I gonna listen to? You who is known for lying when cornered in a conversation or El General himself?

I'm gonna listen to him over u :camby:

Here he is acknowledging the turn it went with Hip Hop.

"Honestly, it's a music that comes from Jamaica," he said when asked where reggaeton came from in an interview with Mexico's Vanguardia. But he knows his place in the grand scheme. He doesn't hesitate when asked who the father of reggaeton is. "As far as the Hispanic market, it's me. Vico C from Puerto Rico's influence is undeniable, but he focused more on hip-hop" he says.

El General Pioneered the Sound of Reggaeton, Then Disappeared Entirely

But since u claim I didnt post anything that already shut your bullshyt down and Wikipedia is your source well lets look at the receipts again shall we...Remember..Wikipedia is your source

:ufdup:

Why the fukk is El General in this list of Reggaton artists if he isn't what I say he is?

Why is your own source contradicting everything u have been saying?

Look who's name is on the list from your own source:

List of reggaeton musicians - Wikipedia

More receipts from your own source: :whistle:

Genres Reggae en Español, reggaeton, ragga

El General - Wikipedia

Check and mate.

:umad:

You wanted my dikk back in your mouth so bad well there u go....Now Suck it good and swallow what I give you.

tumblr_psi4ahJrF01r1tiqco1_250.gif

That's your own source exposing u as being full of shyt. Its common knowledge that El General is the father of Reggaton...U debating this proves u are either 1) U trolling or 2) u really dont know the history.

And my wife wants dikk tonight, so my dikk can only stay in ya mouth for a few more minutes. Dont cry again when I pull your favorite pacifier out your mouth again to go be with my family.

:win: