Latinos now trying to leech off R&B (Rolling Stone article)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
My dude...I have a life. We can talk later but I have to go deal with reality...... that last comment must have stung because I said I'm gonna go hang with my dad. Maybe u dont have a father and u cant relate and thats why u added all that extra bullshyt for no reason instead of acknowledging that I'm gonna go spend quality time with a man who is about to turn 70.

I'll Holla back later. I'm out.

in other words

image.jpg

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
:yeshrug:you can't stop what people choose to make music with
and if these kids are all growing up heavily influenced by a culture we know is worldwide, why be upset when they implement those sounds into their music?

Not every kid in Latin America grows up only wanting to hear music indigenous to their region. Most kids grow up with American influences more than they did before.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
lolz why wasn't there a push to make El General the face of Reggaeton?
It's all right there in your face, and brothers still throw the capes on regardless.
Because what he did wasn't reggaeton. He predates that. He did Spanish Reggae/Dancehall. Reggaeton has more hip-hop influence and shyt is more explicit in topic. Reggaeton wasn't even a term of any significance til the mid 90s.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:what:

Wouldn't be no Prince if he didnt bite off of Shuggie Otis and Rick James, leave Mike out of this.

just like it wouldnt be no mike if he wasnt biting james brown

prince didnt bite rick...rick said that because he thought prince was a chick and wanted to fukk em..until he found out like ray charles and stevie wonder did..

n prince kicked rick ass every nite....performing ...rick hated performing after prince...

bb8aece8e55e986daa3f983b6a24e313.jpg

prince come thru the crowd on some sting shyt rydin big chick's back...fukkery ensue

made rick pitch a fit steal prince drum machine...

had mike and rick james both front row watchin purple rain...mad...

mike cried when prince left apollonia at lake minnetonka

rick got upset and stormed out after prince screamed at apollonia during the beautiful ones...all he could think about and see was him and teena marie in morris and apollonias position n prince singin to teena while he was sittin right there..

prince and teena toured together during the dirty mind tour... and rick hated it

hoe ass nikka rick..tried to tell her not to fukk with prince nomore because he didnt give his momma a autograph at the american music awards in 1982...:mjlol::russ:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
1 of the greatest albums in the history of music had latin help..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

latinos had been standing side by side with nikkas for decades,,,

from quincy jones to stevie....

I already said latins doing soul/R&B or in that case, latins and aframs working together on music, isn't new. My complaint is about the latins who are straight jacking but not adding anything new from their culture but the language and then acting like they created something fresh

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
But my issue with the article is that it gives too much credit to the Latin artists biting off trap and R&B, acting like they're the innovative/influential ones. Like I said before, "how Latin artists changed trap forever" is bullshyt because for the most part, they're just copying what AA artists were doing years ago. But I disagree that Latin R&B is going to become the dominant sound of Latin music. People thought Latin trap was going to overtake reggaeton, and it never happened. I doubt reggaeton will ever stop being the dominant sound unless there's a cultural shift in the US that leads to live instrumentation being the norm in pop music again.

what they're calling reggaeton today isn't the homogeneous OG reggaeton that produced the wave that blew up in the early to mid 2000s. The reggaeton of today is actually a blend of the old dem bow beat mixed with variations of trap hi-hats, tropical house, deep house synths and R&B styled vocals. What's they're calling "latin trap" is that plus the real latin Trap like Bad Bunny. I listened real quick to the top 15 tracks on the current latin billboard list an they all contained some comb of dembow/trap/R&B/house synths

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Great examples...

Some nikkas wanna be offended too much.

When this was going on, it was all good, not to mention the freestyle music movement, which was being played right in with the R&B music of the time... wasn't nobody talkin' about "appropriation" nshyt... this is not the same thing as people dippin' in our shyt on the bandwagon and hoppin' off when they get hot.

:salute:

Thank you.

These new nikkaz in on some try hard shyt.

Nobody was talking like OP when Lisa Lisa and The Cult Jam was popping all in the 80's. Lisa Lisa had enough hits for a Greatest Hits album.....That freestyle influence in NYC was serious all the way up till the early 90's. I guess it must be reverse leeching since Allure jacked Lisa Lisa for their biggest hit.

yall do realize freestyle music was straight up R&B/Boogie mixed with the electro-hop, Planet Rock beat?

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
what they're calling reggaeton today isn't the homogeneous OG reggaeton that produced the wave that blew up in the early to mid 2000s. The reggaeton of today is actually a blend of the old dem bow beat mixed with variations of trap hi-hats, tropical house, deep house synths and R&B styled vocals. What's they're calling "latin trap" is that plus the real latin Trap like Bad Bunny. I listened real quick to the top 15 tracks on the current latin billboard list an they all contained some comb of dembow/trap/R&B/house synths

I think of trap production as being the agressive hi hats and muddy bass, like in Krippy Kush. But I don't really hear that in the stuff referred to as reggaeton. But even most of Bad Bunny's most well known songs are reggaeton/Latin dancehall. I think the Latin trap he does is mostly album tracks.

This is a popular song right now for instance, it contains everything you listed (except I would say the female vocals are pop and the male vocals are rap, as opposed to R&B) minus trap in my opinion.

And to the mix of things that make up contemporary reggaeton, I would add pop and some traditional Latin genres as well. Especially evident in a song like "Despacito".

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This is a popular song right now for instance, it contains everything you listed (except I would say the female vocals are pop and the male vocals are rap, as opposed to R&B) minus trap in my opinion.

to me, she's doing that singy r&B + hiphop style (similar to what beyonce/rihanna often do). She's known for her R&b stylings

Rosalía is a new Spanish artist bringing a modern R&B twist to Flamenco music | Nialler9

And to the mix of things that make up contemporary reggaeton, I would add pop and some traditional Latin genres as well. Especially evident in a song like "Despacito".

for me "pop" isn't a distinct style but a style that's popular from other macro genres. yeah some of these "latin pop" songs will have a distinct latin-american musical influence but I only really notice this in urban bachata or the less "urban"/More "white" type of latin pop. Most of the reggaeton songs have nothing latin about them

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
to me, she's doing that singy r&B + hiphop style (similar to what beyonce/rihanna often do). She's known for her R&b stylings

Rosalía is a new Spanish artist bringing a modern R&B twist to Flamenco music | Nialler9

for me "pop" isn't a distinct style but a style that's popular from other macro genres. yeah some of these "latin pop" songs will have a distinct latin-american musical influence but I only really notice this in urban bachata or the less "urban"/More "white" type of latin pop. Most of the reggaeton songs have nothing latin about them

True, though both Beyonce and Rihanna have made music that I consider more "pop" than R&B. Pop is arbitrary term of course, but I think it counts for something. What else would you refer to Taylor Swift or Katy Perry's music as?

The "urban" thing is funny because reggaeton is probably even more popular in rural Latin America than the cities. And I agree that most reggaeton songs have nothing Latin about them, but I do hear it sometimes.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
my/your ears:troll:

el general is literally jamaican dancehall in spanish. Reggaeton took the dancehall-dembow beat but added a more hiphop character/flow
Bruh I don’t even know what this nikka been arguing about. I literally said this shyt since the beginning and he just kept moving the argument around. This is a fact that can’t be disputed.