Latinos now trying to leech off R&B (Rolling Stone article)

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
he did spanish reggae. reggaeton is an offshoot of that + HipHop which was mainly formed/done by Latinos who looked more like
:duck::shaq2:

So who am I gonna listen to? You who is known for lying when cornered in a conversation or El General himself?

I'm gonna listen to him over u :camby:

Here he is acknowledging the turn it went with Hip Hop.

"Honestly, it's a music that comes from Jamaica," he said when asked where reggaeton came from in an interview with Mexico's Vanguardia. But he knows his place in the grand scheme. He doesn't hesitate when asked who the father of reggaeton is. "As far as the Hispanic market, it's me. Vico C from Puerto Rico's influence is undeniable, but he focused more on hip-hop" he says.

El General Pioneered the Sound of Reggaeton, Then Disappeared Entirely

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lolz why wasn't there a push to make El General the face of Reggaeton?
It's all right there in your face, and brothers still throw the capes on regardless.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Man, I can't even think of Spanish RnB cats...

I used to think Chico Debarge and Jon B. Were Latin back in the day, but I can't think of none.

I personally don't care about this.

Black people will forever be the creators, innovators and tastemakers of almost all popular culture. Now we just have to keep getting our bread for it.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So focus on your own races homosexuality issue which was influenced by European abnormality. Focus on how the women in your own race psychologically hate themselves to the point they are bleaching their skin, going to Africa like Tis wife and daughter to get blue eyes and straightening and coloring their hair with chemicles to look like European women. Focus on how the women in your race are having babies with white men to they babies can come out with that "good hair." These should be real priorities if your gripe is being original to ones culture. Thats why I say your outrage is phony

wzFZCY.gif

This is a thread about music in the Booth. Save that other shyt for the root/lockeroom.:camby:

:hubie:
My bad...We playing stupid. You're right. Latinos doing R&B music in their own country is a bigger priority over the sex tourism and MS13 gang violence. Carry on.

see above

Exactly....And you posted an article stressing a Latin R&B takeover that doesnt even exist in the USA. Which goes back to the phony outrage of your opening in the op and title.

there are latin act's doing R&B in the USA. Most of the the shyt in the latin usa chart has R&B all over it

And the R&B world in the USA isnt affected by any of this....Your article is talking about Latin America which again goes back to the phony outrage u in the opening of the OP and the title.

This isn't how music on a global scale works. What happens in latin america as far as music goes, also impacts what's hot in the USA. Now, it's true, for the most part what latin's do musically hasn't been able to halt what goes on in Afram mainstream music the same way they were able to negatively impact, Jamaican dancehall acts but that doesn't make the jacking they're doing any less of an annoyance. For example

Why Every Popular Rap Song Gets a Latin Trap Remix

Gaming the system by combining an original track with an ostensibly related one with some level of Latinx representation is a long-standing strategy.

Like it or lump it, the so-called Latin remix phenomenon isn’t going away. In the streaming economy, where every Spotify play and YouTube click counts, gaming the system by combining digital consumption of an original track with that of a ostensibly related one sporting some level of Latinx representation will be the wave until further notice. While DaniLeigh’s version does much better than most, with a reconfigured beat and her newly recorded vocals done predominantly in Spanish, the general opportunism and pandering of the strategy nonetheless stays wholly transparent. (The move works both ways, of course, as made evident by Latin American artists like Anitta and Bad Bunny snagging North American rappers for their singles and album projects.)

Why Every Popular Rap Song Gets a Latin Trap Remix

...c'mon, where's you OWN cultural creativity?:stopitslime::hhh:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
latinos are our spicy cousins nikka...

havent heard latin do it since
maxresdefault-880x720.jpg

i thought lisa lisa was the one til prince pulled 1 of his baddest out his stable...

shiela e was
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

she krushed krush groove...no broad in the movie was seeing her...and prince sound was infectious fukk michael

:what:

Wouldn't be no Prince if he didnt bite off of Shuggie Otis and Rick James, leave Mike out of this.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
lolz why wasn't there a push to make El General the face of Reggaeton?
It's all right there in your face, and brothers still throw the capes on regardless.

This is a weird question. Because he dropped out of the game right before that shyt really took off and refused to get back in the game due to his religious beliefs. Out of site out of mind but everyone who is in the know knows. Plus by the time it really took off it became a PR thing so the PRs became the dominant face.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:duck::shaq2:

So who am I gonna listen to? You who is known for lying when cornered in a conversation or El General himself?

I'm gonna listen to him over u :camby:

Here he is acknowledging the turn it went with Hip Hop.

"Honestly, it's a music that comes from Jamaica," he said when asked where reggaeton came from in an interview with Mexico's Vanguardia. But he knows his place in the grand scheme. He doesn't hesitate when asked who the father of reggaeton is. "As far as the Hispanic market, it's me. Vico C from Puerto Rico's influence is undeniable, but he focused more on hip-hop" he says.

El General Pioneered the Sound of Reggaeton, Then Disappeared Entirely

my/your ears:troll:

el general is literally jamaican dancehall in spanish. Reggaeton took the dancehall-dembow beat but added a more hiphop character/flow

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
my/your ears:troll:

el general is literally jamaican dancehall in spanish. Reggaeton took the dancehall-dembow beat but added a more hiphop character/flow

:camby:

I been having this Reggaton conversation on messageboards since "Pa Que Se Lo Gozen" by Tego Calderon was hot in the BX
and Daddy Yankee came out with Gasolina. I'm not listening to your made up bullshyt after the receipts already proved u wrong.

U can have the last word. I got to go hang out with my pops. I kept your thread on the first page as much as a could. I'm out.

Daps
Reppin
ATL paid.. Cali blazed
Phony outrage alert. I dont understand your gripe.The songs posted in that article are popular in Latin countries not the USA. I seriously do not believe u give two shyts about what Latin countries are doing. Especially the poor ones like Honduras where the gang violence is a bigger priority over what the fukk kind of music they are doing over there. I'm reading the comments in those videos and they are all in spanish not english. The last biggest spanis songs in this country were Latin influenced with 'I Like It' by Cardi and Despacito which was Latin pop. Latin R&B is not making a splash in the US so u just making up shyt to complain about.
All that damn caping for them beaners stfu

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:camby:

I been having this Reggaton conversation on messageboards since "Pa Que Se Lo Gozen" by Tego Calderon was hot in the BX
and Daddy Yankee came out with Gasolina. I'm not listening to your made up bullshyt after the receipts already proved u wrong.

You didn't post anything that proved me wrong. I stay sonning you, don't you ever get tired of challenging me only to get proven wrong?

In the early-mid-1980s, Panamanians like Renato, El General, Nando Boom, El Maleante, and Chicho Man started to take Jamaican dancehall songs and beats, singing over them with Spanish lyrics, most of the time preserving the melodies and the rhythms. They also sped up riddims, and added Hispanic and Latino elements to them. This style was called Reggae en Español or "Spanish Reggae".[1] The music continued to grow throughout the 1980s, with many stars developing in Panama.

Reggae en Español - Wikipedia

Edgardo Armando Franco, better known as El General, is a Panamanian former reggae artist[1] considered by some to be one of the fathers of "Reggae Español".[2]During the early 1990s, he was one of the artists who initiated the Spanish-language dancehallvariety of reggae music. Early examples of this were the international and somewhat mainstream songs, “Te Ves Buena” and “Tu Pun Pun”. Both songs, performed in Spanish deejaying style, were very successful in North America. After getting his foot in the door of the commercial market, many other Spanish-language dancehall reggae artists became famous in the mainstream as well.[3] He has a unique, easy to listen to style of dance music and has produced many well-known songs all over Latin America. His musical works have become popular in Latin America over the last few years. This style is called reggae en Español, because he makes dancehall reggae music with Spanish-language lyrics and is an early precursor to reggaeton.

vs

Often mistaken for reggae or reggae en Español, reggaeton is a younger genre which originated in the clubs of San Juan, Puerto Rico in 1991. It became known as "underground" music, due to its circulation through informal networks and performances at unofficial venues. DJ Playero and DJ Nelson were inspired by hip hop and Latin American music to produce "riddims", the first reggaeton tracks. As Caribbean and African-American music gained momentum in Puerto Rico, reggae rap in Spanish marked the beginning of the Boricuaunderground and was a creative outlet for many young people. This created an inconspicuous-yet-prominent underground youth culture which sought to express itself. As a youth culture existing on the fringes of society and the law, it has often been criticized. The Puerto Rican police launched a campaign against underground music by confiscating cassette tapes from music stores under penal obscenity codes, levying fines and demonizing rappers in the media.[7] Bootleg recordings and word of mouth became the primary means of distribution for this music until 1998, when it coalesced into modern reggaeton. The genre's popularity increased when it was discovered by international audiences during the early 2000s.

Reggaeton - Wikipedia

U can have the last word. I got to go hang out with my pops. I kept your thread on the first page as much as a could. I'm out.

yeah, it's best you run before I serve you some more like what happened in this thread on your lack of knowledge about latinos in early hiphop

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/to-...-west-coast-sound.705965/page-8#post-33497565

:russ:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yeah, it's best you run

My dude...I have a life. We can talk later but I have to go deal with reality...... that last comment must have stung because I said I'm gonna go hang with my dad. Maybe u dont have a father and u cant relate and thats why u added all that extra bullshyt for no reason instead of acknowledging that I'm gonna go spend quality time with a man who is about to turn 70.

I'll Holla back later. I'm out.