It’s a whole lot of Line Straddling & Double Talk on here when it comes to the Money In The Bank Concept…

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
This right here.

Thing about MITB is that it's been around for almost 20 years now, there's various different ways for it to be used in storylines, pushes, etc... it doesn't always have to be "run down and cash it in after a grueling match" every. single. time. Nor does it have to happen within a timeline that the fans deem reasonable, nor does it have to always be a successful cash-in. For as long as it's been going, it would be "stale" (IWC word) if it was done every single year by every single person the same way each time. Just like the Royal Rumble doesn't always mean the person challenging at Mania has to win the title. It is literally described as "an opportunity" at a title. It's definitely not an albatross or any of this other IWC jargon that always gets used when shyt doesn't go their way. It's just as much a prop as the titles themselves are.
I don’t know if these dude know that the title, all titles are just props. The mitb and the universal world whatever title are both gimmicks at the end of the day.

Dudes is complaining about “give gable a chance” and he “needs the win”. Gable is in like 3 storylines right now and getting crazy screen time. He is doing fine lol. The same with Jey USO. La knight is over as fukk he will get a title at SS so he didn’t need MITB these dudes are not mid carders anymore. Drew winning made the most sense because it added to the best storyline going, nothing else matters.

Also we talk about wrestling everyday, we watch old matches we read dirt sheets and dudes still don’t understand how booking works or how the only people that are actually mad and disgruntled with their place on the roster are the ones that are not on tv in any type of storyline. But the fans act like if they don’t have the main belt they are being buried.
This mindstate is one of the reasons why wrestling was bad for so long. Jey Uso and LA knight were hot and you put the case on dude and have him lose an 1hr later.

Not to mention dude is already a made man why not just do something different if your don't want one of these guys to be contenders/made

Think about it from a creative writing perspective on a character like Cm Punk, If you're a stubborn a$$hole like Punk is, would you rather interfere in the MITB match or the title match when Drew thinks he's going to win? CM Punk literally told us on Monday Night that this shyt is personal to him, especially after Drew stole the bracelet and the symbolism around it. He wants to hurt Drew badly in the worst way so waiting until the title match to piss off Drew, who wants that world title bad as fukk, added an extra layer of salt for Drew and their feud so it made sense to me. I agree the feud would still be hot if the interference didn't happen, but it adds fire to the fuel for their potential rumored HITC match, so pour gasoline all over that mother fukker and let this shyt burn.

This isn't directed at you, more of a tangent because you stated you would be fine if the MITB holder lost it down the line, but I'm tired of people saying wrestlers need to win the title to make them stars. Is Damien Priest automatically a superstar because he cashed in and won the title or is he slowly growing his status because of the amazing title defenses he's been having with the storylines he's involved in and the screen time he gets now? If all WWE had to do to make stars was give dudes a title win then dudes like Miz would be main eventing and Jinder would still have a job. And I'm going to use TSC breh Larry's example again. Dudes complained that Sami should have beaten Roman to take him to that next level, just for those same complainers to cry about Sami beating Bron because Bron needs to be at the next level. LOL And this shyt isn't years apart.

But back to your response. Don't bring up the past breh. This isn't the same company as it was 4 to 5 years ago. Not every KOTR, MITB, and Royal Rumble match has to prop up the next crop of stars, especially if the top is already full. Was Gunther and Orton not already stars before they fought in the finals of the KOTR? Why does it have to be any different for MITB? So we can watch a guy unsuccessfully cash in for months upon months so we can call him a dummy?

And LOL tell that nikka Jey to get back in the bloodline storyline he ain't bigger than that shyt just because he got the crowd yeeting together. His matches actually bore me and I'm glad he's not a world champion

Edit: and oh yeah punk interfering in the title match has brought back the Seth and punk and drew combo feud so what are we really talking about right now
Whew :whew:thank you for saying this. I was losing my mind thinking I was in the minority with this mindset. You said everything I was going to say, the exact way I was going to say it.

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
I mean this isn’t 2017 anymore. It’s not like jey and la knight are going to be discarded to catering after this to never be seen again. LA Knight will fight for the US title at Summerslam and Jey uso will eventually be put back into one of the biggest storylines of our generation.

I feel like you guys are all over the place and just want a new champion crowned every two months and that’s just as damaging as Vince approach was in his last years trying to create new stars.

Jey and LA Knight are over? Tough titty nikka so are like 20 other wrestlers on the roster right now.

Jey could have cashed in that night and won and three weeks later everyone would be like but what about 97’ Drew? What about Gunther after his legendary run?

I feel like this roster is so talented with a lot of people over that I think you guys forget someone has to lose and not everyone is supposed to be the world champion
What are you even talking about wanting someone new established doesn't mean you gotta pull the trigger now. Cody, Damien, or who ever can't be champion forever. The winner of the match has a whole year to cash in the contract.

Which goes back to my original point people aren't hating on MITB or drew really they are hating on the point that drew won it as a already made man and lost it a hour later.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
What are you even talking about wanting someone new established doesn't mean you gotta pull the trigger now. Cody, Damien, or who ever can't be champion forever. The winner of the match has a whole year to cash in the contract.

Which goes back to my original point people aren't hating on MITB or drew really they are hating on the point that drew won it as an already made man and lost it a hour later.
Like I said in the post above punk interfering in the title match has resparked the feud with Seth and the trio storyline between Seth punk and Drew like they had during wrestlemania season. But we can keep pretending it was all a waste and nothing happened lol

Expect Seth to interfere Drew promo next RAW

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Think about it from a creative writing perspective on a character like Cm Punk, If you're a stubborn a$$hole like Punk is, would you rather interfere in the MITB match or the title match when Drew thinks he's going to win? CM Punk literally told us on Monday Night that this shyt is personal to him, especially after Drew stole the bracelet and the symbolism around it. He wants to hurt Drew badly in the worst way so waiting until the title match to piss off Drew, who wants that world title bad as fukk, added an extra layer of salt for Drew and their feud so it made sense to me. I agree the feud would still be hot if the interference didn't happen, but it adds fire to the fuel for their potential rumored HITC match, so pour gasoline all over that mother fukker and let this shyt burn.

This isn't directed at you, more of a tangent because you stated you would be fine if the MITB holder lost it down the line, but I'm tired of people saying wrestlers need to win the title to make them stars. Is Damien Priest automatically a superstar because he cashed in and won the title or is he slowly growing his status because of the amazing title defenses he's been having with the storylines he's involved in and the screen time he gets now? If all WWE had to do to make stars was give dudes a title win then dudes like Miz would be main eventing and Jinder would still have a job. And I'm going to use TSC breh Larry's example again. Dudes complained that Sami should have beaten Roman to take him to that next level, just for those same complainers to cry about Sami beating Bron because Bron needs to be at the next level. LOL And this shyt isn't years apart.

But back to your response. Don't bring up the past breh. This isn't the same company as it was 4 to 5 years ago. Not every KOTR, MITB, and Royal Rumble match has to prop up the next crop of stars, especially if the top is already full. Was Gunther and Orton not already stars before they fought in the finals of the KOTR? Why does it have to be any different for MITB? So we can watch a guy unsuccessfully cash in for months upon months so we can call him a dummy?

And LOL tell that nikka Jey to get back in the bloodline storyline he ain't bigger than that shyt just because he got the crowd yeeting together. His matches actually bore me and I'm glad he's not a world champion

Edit: and oh yeah punk interfering in the title match has brought back the Seth and punk and drew combo feud so what are we really talking about right now

I get where you're coming from.

To me, if a feud reaches on-sight levels (like Punk and Drew did a while back), if I'm Punk, I am not waiting around to let Drew get on the doorstep of his dreams. It's ON SIGHT. When Punk sees him, it should be smoke in the city. In the ladder match itself, in the cash-in (should I fail), or whenever he catches Drew by himself. I would want him to fail at everything he ever tries to do.

Even if Punk knew it would make Drew's soul burn that much slower if he waited until then to strike -- and Punk is clearly established as a petty MF -- as a fan I don't expect Punk to be at a point where he chooses calculated pettiness over hate-fueled violence anymore. That should have gone out the window when Drew bloodied Punk in his own city and took something of sentimental value as a trophy. Punk said as much during his backhanded apology to Seth on this past Raw, but that would clearly be a lie because EVERY SINGLE ONE of Punk's get-backs on Drew have been calculated and pinpointed exactly at the perfect moment. Meanwhile, Drew gets what he can get off Punk at the first opportunity to get it.

As an aside, I also think the MITB holder actually SHOULD have every single title on the table when it comes to a cash-in. Much like how someone doesn't have to win the title to be a big deal, the MITB doesn't have to always go for the top title in the brand. That can freshen it up and add new motivations to characters, etc.

As for Damien Priest, he is out here putting in work but really it doesn't matter because his entire title reign is him trying and consistently failing to win on his own merit despite putting all of his effort toward that. He gets a ton of screen time, but I find he's not truly positioned as That Guy in whatever thing he's involved in, and to me, that doesn't help him as a champion.

Perhaps it's too subtle for me, but hey. I'll admit I've never seen such an angle before. I digress.

As for your comment about the past, the WWE has to learn from that to inform the future. I'm a straight-up GUNTHER stan but even I would have rather seen Jey Uso go to the finals and beat Tama Tonga (or Orton) to win KOTR. When it comes to Jey, I don't want my time wasted as a wrestling fan. If you say somebody is supposed to be this, then eventually I want to see him be who you said he was or start approaching, especially if I fukk around and get invested in him.

In all, we both agree that Drew/Punk's feud didn't need the briefcase to stay hot. Which is really where it starts and ends for me.

Honestly, Punk fukking Drew over didn't really raise the stakes of that feud for me. Drew coming out during the postshow and saying "I KNOW WHERE YOUR FAMILY LIVES!" did. To your point, it doesn't come to that if Punk doesn't screw him over. I'm just saying Punk could have done the exact same thing during the MITB ladder match itself and gotten the same result.

I get why they made the decision -- Drew wouldn't be hurt by such an embarrassment, he's established, etc. -- but I wouldn't have wasted the briefcase on said feud, when everybody else in the match could have had their profile raised just by holding the briefcase, regardless of whether they won or lost the cash-in. There's a new story to tell if they go any other route but the one they did.

Rayzah

Daps

Which goes back to my original point people aren't hating on MITB or drew really they are hating on the point that drew won it as a already made man and lost it a hour later.
This was addressed in here already, when did they make the rule that the mitb can or ONLY go to someone that needs to be “made”? The only guy in that match that needs to be made was Andrade. Everyone else is made, even without the props.

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
Like I said in the post above punk interfering in the title match has resparked the feud with Seth and the trio storyline between Seth punk and Drew like they had during wrestlemania season. But we can keep pretending it was all a waste and nothing happened lol

Expect Seth to interfere Drew promo next RAW
Fam we get that that doesn't negate the fact that they waisted this year contract on a storyline that really didn't need it.

At the end of the day it's subjective but I don't get how cats are saying the MITB booking criticism is not valid.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
This was addressed in here already, when did they make the rule that the mitb can or ONLY go to someone that needs to be “made”? The only guy in that match that needs to be made was Andrade. Everyone else is made, even without the props.

LA Knight didn't need the case, but what he is involved in could have benefit from him having the case. If he wants a shot at Logan Paul and the US title, he has a direct line to him by having the briefcase. Eventually, Paul has to make an appearance.

Melo's entire gimmick is damn near embodied by the briefcase.

Jey Uso, nothing further needs to be said. Chad Gable would have benefit by having it. Andrade absolutely would have benefit by having it.

Nobody expected Drew to be successful at cashing in, and part of the MITB's mystique is the unknown surrounding when it gets used and how that result will go as we've seen 3-4 cash-in attempts fail before Drew's.

Made man or not, I feel most everybody assumed Punk would either ensure Drew didn't win the case, or he didn't win the cash-in.

Predictability isn't the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it's not the path forward. Especially when you're telling a story that doesn't need the element you're trying to force in there.

Rayzah

Daps
LA Knight didn't need the case, but what he is involved in could have benefit from him having the case. If he wants a shot at Logan Paul and the US title, he has a direct line to him by having the briefcase. Eventually, Paul has to make an appearance.

Melo's entire gimmick is damn near embodied by the briefcase.

Jey Uso, nothing further needs to be said. Chad Gable would have benefit by having it. Andrade absolutely would have benefit by having it.

Nobody expected Drew to be successful at cashing in, and part of the MITB's mystique is the unknown surrounding when it gets used and how that result will go as we've seen 3-4 cash-in attempts fail before Drew's.

Made man or not, I feel most everybody assumed Punk would either ensure Drew didn't win the case, or he didn't win the cash-in.

Predictability isn't the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it's not the path forward. Especially when you're telling a story that doesn't need the element you're trying to force in there.
I forgot about melo, he isn’t ready yet tho so he wasn’t a good choice to win. It’s seems like LA knight and Logan Paul is already happening so him cashing in is also a waste

Jey and Chad do not need that briefcase, Chad is involved in 2 other things right now that if done right will do more for him then having the title

I think the problem y’all are having is Vince had y’all convinced that if you don’t have the title then you are not a top guy. He only booked storylines around people withe the belts. But HHH is putting everyone in storylines that he thinks is a top guy. These dudes in that ladder match will all get tv time and storylines as a result and win they eventually win singles titles it will still be a big deal and it will probably happen during a really good storyline and not from some gimmick match.

Also having Jey or Chad win and go through the routine false cash ins is just as if not way more predictable than what we got

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Fam we get that that doesn't negate the fact that they waisted this year contract on a storyline that really didn't need it.

At the end of the day it's subjective but I don't get how cats are saying the MITB booking criticism is not valid.
:francis: Because it’s invalid complaints breh. No one other than Drew has a potential to be world champion any time in the future. Jey or LA knight could have won and instead of arguing over this we would be arguing over how it was a waste of our time to see either of them fail.

And now I’m getting mad because I’m arguing with nikkas because the more I think about it …..

Like I’m arguing with nikkas about how jey winning the mitb will take him to the next level

That nikka main evented wrestlemania

:skip:

But mitb is what he needed

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I forgot about melo, he isn’t ready yet tho so he wasn’t a good choice to win. It’s seems like LA knight and Logan Paul is already happening so him cashing in is also a waste

Jey and Chad do not need that briefcase, Chad is involved in 2 other things right now that if done right will do more for him then having the title

I think the problem y’all are having is Vince had y’all convinced that if you don’t have the title then you are not a top guy. He only booked storylines around people withe the belts. But HHH is putting everyone in storylines that he thinks is a top guy. These dudes in that ladder match will all get tv time and storylines as a result and win they eventually win singles titles it will still be a big deal and it will probably happen during a really good storyline and not from some gimmick match.

As someone pointed out... you get a year with the briefcase. Melo pinned Randy Orton to get into the match, so he's somebody they are high on. Give him the case, let it rock for a while and get him ready if you don't think he's ready yet.

Jey needs an actual big match victory, MITB, title, whatever. I can give you Chad and Knight since Knight's well on its way, but even then, he can win that case and tell Logan Paul he's using it on him at Summerslam because right now, Paul is ducking LA Knight.

Drew winning basically defeated the point of MITB as a concept. If you have a storytelling concept on hand you can do a lot with (i.e. the briefcase), I don't think it's wise to use it on the one story within the MITB story universe, if you will, that doesn't need the MITB to effectively tell said story.

Even if I concede that no one in the match sans Andrade NEEDED the case, Drew and his dealings needed it the absolute least of everyone in the match.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
:francis: Because it’s invalid complaints breh. No one other than Drew has a potential to be world champion any time in the future. Jey or LA knight could have won and instead of arguing over this we would be arguing over how it was a waste of our time to see either of them fail.

And now I’m getting mad because I’m arguing with nikkas because the more I think about it …..

Like I’m arguing with nikkas about how jey winning the mitb will take him to the next level

The MITB gives any holder the potential to be world champion. Even if Jey actually lost the match, it might suck, but me personally I'd just like to see the man come up clutch in a big match situation.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
To me, if a feud reaches on-sight levels (like Punk and Drew did a while back), if I'm Punk, I am not waiting around to let Drew get on the doorstep of his dreams. It's ON SIGHT. When Punk sees him, it should be smoke in the city. In the ladder match itself, in the cash-in (should I fail), or whenever he catches Drew by himself. I would want him to fail at everything he ever tries to do.

Even if Punk knew it would make Drew's soul burn that much slower if he waited until then to strike -- and Punk is clearly established as a petty MF -- as a fan I don't expect Punk to be at a point where he chooses calculated pettiness over hate-fueled violence anymore. That should have gone out the window when Drew bloodied Punk in his own city and took something of sentimental value as a trophy. Punk said as much during his backhanded apology to Seth on this past Raw, but that would clearly be a lie because EVERY SINGLE ONE of Punk's get-backs on Drew have been calculated and pinpointed exactly at the perfect moment. Meanwhile, Drew gets what he can get off Punk at the first opportunity to get it.

As an aside, I also think the MITB holder actually SHOULD have every single title on the table when it comes to a cash-in. Much like how someone doesn't have to win the title to be a big deal, the MITB doesn't have to always go for the top title in the brand. That can freshen it up and add new motivations to characters, etc.

As for Damien Priest, he is out here putting in work but really it doesn't matter because his entire title reign is him trying and consistently failing to win on his own merit despite putting all of his effort toward that. He gets a ton of screen time, but I find he's not truly positioned as That Guy in whatever thing he's involved in, and to me, that doesn't help him as a champion.

Perhaps it's too subtle for me, but hey. I'll admit I've never seen such an angle before. I digress.

As for your comment about the past, the WWE has to learn from that to inform the future. I'm a straight-up GUNTHER stan but even I would have rather seen Jey Uso go to the finals and beat Tama Tonga (or Orton) to win KOTR. When it comes to Jey, I don't want my time wasted as a wrestling fan. If you say somebody is supposed to be this, then eventually I want to see him be who you said he was or start approaching, especially if I fukk around and get invested in him.

In all, we both agree that Drew/Punk's feud didn't need the briefcase to stay hot. Which is really where it starts and ends for me.

Honestly, Punk fukking Drew over didn't really raise the stakes of that feud for me. Drew coming out during the postshow and saying "I KNOW WHERE YOUR FAMILY LIVES!" did. To your point, it doesn't come to that if Punk doesn't screw him over. I'm just saying Punk could have done the exact same thing during the MITB ladder match itself and gotten the same result.

I get why they made the decision -- Drew wouldn't be hurt by such an embarrassment, he's established, etc. -- but I wouldn't have wasted the briefcase on said feud, when everybody else in the match could have had their profile raised just by holding the briefcase, regardless of whether they won or lost the cash-in. There's a new story to tell if they go any other route but the one they did.

I added the Seth inclusion late so I don't know if you read that part. Punk interfering in the match to rekindle his beef with Seth was perfect. So now we can either get a triple threat or Seth as ref at Summerslam and if not we've planted more seeds for Seth vs Punk in the future, and I guess if Seth interferes during Drew's segment maybe one more match between them. And when I think about this it gives me greater confidence to say Drew winning was the right choice.

It's not like you can't say it doesn't make sense to do it this way. At this point, we're just discussing personal preferences and it's not a reflection of poor judgment on WWE booking.

And I 100% disagree that the briefcase winner should also challenge for the mid-card titles. What would be the point of that when we see the IC title be defended on RAW so many times? Someone of Drew or Jey's status can just ask for an IC title and receive it lol. LA Knight getting a US title shot, to begin with. The only way that would work is if you put dudes in the match that can't even get IC or US title opportunities... Dudes like Tozawa lol and at this point just eliminate the MITB concept.

I disagree with your view point on Priest.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I added the Seth inclusion late so I don't know if you read that part. Punk interfering in the match to rekindle his beef with Seth was perfect. So now we can either get a triple threat or Seth as ref at Summerslam and if not we've planted more seeds for Seth vs Punk in the future, and I guess if Seth interferes during Drew's segment maybe one more match between them. And when I think about this it gives me greater confidence to say Drew winning was the right choice.

It's not like you can't say it doesn't make sense to do it this way. At this point, we're just discussing personal preferences and it's not a reflection of poor judgment on WWE booking.

And I 100% disagree that the briefcase winner should also challenge for the mid-card titles. What would be the point of that when we see the IC title be defended on RAW so many times? Someone of Drew or Jey's status can just ask for an IC title and receive it lol. LA Knight getting a US title shot, to begin with. The only way that would work is if you put dudes in the match that can't even get IC or US title opportunities... Dudes like Tozawa lol and at this point just eliminate the MITB concept.

I disagree with your view point on Priest.

Adding Seth to it does offer intrigue, yes. I'm very interested in seeing what that looks like.

But yeah, at this point it's personal preference we're discussing and that's fine. I feel like I've said it before, but I understand why Drew got picked. I just didn't agree with it because of my take on how MITB should be used.

Adding the IC and US titles to it -- especially when the US champion is a part-timer and the IC champion is super resilient and always snatching victory from the jaws of defeat -- adds to the unpredictability surrounding the case and expands what the MITB can mean. At the end of the day, it represents an opportunity otherwise not afforded.

In this case, I feel it got won by the one dude who has the most clout to ask for an opportunity among the field and subsequently get it. I'll put it like this: if Drew wasn't feuding with Punk at the time, then I'd say him winning the case, even if he lost the cash-in, is a good call because in kayfabe, he's by far the best/most accomplished talent in the match and it's almost poetic for him to walk around with the very thing that took the title from him.

Drew winning when we all know Punk is right there waiting to snatch it from him kills whatever intrigue I had in the briefcase because I know how it's gonna go and again, I don't think the feud needed that extra oomph. It was already hot without it. Now something I care about as a fan (the MITB itself) is over and done with for what I believe is no reason.

As far as Priest, I wish I didn't see it how I see it, but alas. I think he's done the absolute best with what he's been given, but what he's been given to work with is not ideal.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Just feels like the booking is played out..

I want to see something different like changing a single main event into a triple threat.

That shyt is fun. Defending the briefcase is fun.

Doing the whole chicken shyt false cash in for months on end is soooo boring. This is why Edge's cash in is goat tier.
That literally just happened :dahell:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

You contradicted tf out of yourself all through this post. Jey Uso is the most over babyface on Raw, How does he have no shot to be world champion over the next year when the current world champion is a MF nowhere NEAR as over as him?