is there an argument that Tom Cruise is the GOAT movie star?

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
Can’t decide between Tom and Arnold

Why not both?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not a chance.
Even while Mission Impossible is a successful franchise, it's not even close in popularity or legacy to that of other stars.

If there's an underrated movie star, it's Keanu Reeves -- who seems to always fly under the cloud of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson and others.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Easily Tom Cruise. Yes others have been bigger at one time, but Tom Cruise has a resume of hit movies and blockbusters going back to the 80s where he drove the movie, not just appeared in it. He's approaching 40 years as an A-list star.

Armold was really only The Man for about maybe 15 years. People forget how short his reign was. Harrison Ford was bigger than Arnold and probably went about 20 years on top.
Damn... We forgot all about Ford... Star Wars, Indy, Blade Runner, then the Jack Ryan joints (not that big tho)... Then he trailed off... Now he right back in the same ass franchises, 30 years later.. Star Wars, Indy and Blade Runner again

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
The lack of people mentioning Harrison Ford is.....disturbing. Tom has good case, objectively speaking, taking into account longevity, quality of movies, his level of dedication to his films, box office. Some folks can't put aside their bias to call it how it is. Pitt is obviously one of the biggest ever, but doesn't match him in the areas I mentioned. Tom's been doing it since the 80s and still going strong.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The lack of people mentioning Harrison Ford is.....disturbing. Tom has good case, objectively speaking, taking into account longevity, quality of movies, his level of dedication to his films, box office. Some folks can't put aside their bias to call it how it is. Pitt is obviously one of the biggest ever, but doesn't match him in the areas I mentioned. Tom's been doing it since the 80s and still going strong.
Harrison Ford only had a 15 year run.

Tom Cruise's run is nearing 40.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Harrison Ford only had a 15 year run.

Tom Cruise's run is nearing 40.

Force Awakens came out 7 years ago, and he just wrapped Indy 5.

Additionally, what's the 15 years? First Star Wars came out in 1977. He was still in top movies after 1992.

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I haven't enjoyed Tom Cruise in a single movie. Not one. That's just my opinion, even the few movies of his that I liked, I didn't like him in them.

In our era (talking guys under 75 right now) in terms of movie star it's Pitt, DiCaprio, and Smith. And objectively Cruise can belong there too but I just don't like him.

Not even in Magnolia? I've never pressed you on a single thing but :ohhh:

• Dap
Reactions: ECA

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say so, in terms of longevity and success. I would say DiCaprio is not too far behind. He has better quality of films under his belt but his films aren't as successful.

DiCaprio and Pitt don’t try to make blockbusters like that. I think Tom and Will in the past, we fixated on blockbusters with some exceptions. I remember Will talking about in his book. He was obsessed with being #1. I think Cruise is still Obsessed.

TheFireCar

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DiCaprio and Pitt don’t try to make blockbusters like that. I think Tom and Will in the past, we fixated on blockbusters with some exceptions. I remember Will talking about in his book. He was obsessed with being #1. I think Cruise is still Obsessed.
I like Will..but Will's overall filmography is no where near as consistent as Tom's