How good was prime Tim Duncan? At his peak was he the best player of the 2000s?

At his peak and prime was duncan the best player of the 2000s?

• Yes

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
There are no unbiased sports opinions. You cant go back and watch every game so other folks perceptions along with stats and accolades are gonna shape your opinion. And while I get your point and agree to a degree I think actually seeing it is a tad overrated. Look at the discussion on here. It often feels like nikkas are watching in different multiverses. nikkas allow bias and preferences to override what actually happens all the time. And thats not from a high horse. I know I'm guilty of it too...but not like them :russ:. I think educating yourself and gaining understanding is important regardless of age or era. But bias and folks talking out they ass aint going nowhere.
You know what, you're right. We all have biases...

But I do think you and I and a minority of other guys, manage those biases better...

I also definitely agree that having seen something is overrated, because no one sees everything. When cats come with the "you don't think Jordan is the GOAT because you never saw him", like nah 😂 so you're right, it's about educating yourself on what you're talking about, and in something as subjective as sports fandom where there aren't always clear right/wrong answers, we just educate ourselves to the best of our abilities...

:dead:MY AGE HAS NEVER BEEN POSTED
ON THIS SITE YOU LGTB IDIOT

:devil:
:evil:

I didn't say you posted it, nikka 🤣 so how old are you?

I appreciate your posting in several topics when you aren't overly emotional and throwing a fit. I don't have to agree with everything someone says to appreciate their perspectives on a topic...
Yea im 38 and can say i started to understand ball in 92-93 but obviously as far as X’s and O’s, that was when i hit 7th grade and up. When i name my greatest players, i always reference my list as guys that i’ve seen live with my own eyes
100%, like I remember knowing Jordan and Barkley and Shaq specifically, in the mid-90s. I remember highlights and reading books with them in it and all that shyt, but I had no cognizance of what I was watching until the '99 lockout year, that's when I started paying attention and growing as a real fan of what I was watching...

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes, at his best, Duncan was the best player in basketball!

In that immediate post-Jordan era, it was he and Shaq at the top. I started watching ball the '99 lockout season, but I don't know that people really felt a Y2 Duncan was THE best player in basketball. Malone was kinda the incumbent, and Shaq was there, as far as post-Jordan guys. In 2000 Duncan was incredible but got hurt and I think either missed the playoffs or got hurt in the playoffs, but it was him and Shaq. Shaq was healthy and the Lakers won it all so he got a larger share of the "best player" vote during the 3peat years, but Duncan was always there with him...

All these other guys people mention, Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, we're a clear level below Shaq and Duncan. We weren't seriously saying those guys were THE best player in basketball, they were fun to talk about because they were perimeter guys and engaging. But those 3peat years was clearly Shaq and Duncan interchangeably...

Garnett entered the conversation post-3peat, as Shaq declined. Duncan was always there, and we had some fun Duncan/Garnett/Dirk/Webber/Amare convos (you're not gonna get a lot of honest Dirk anecdotes on here)...

I think we always understood Duncan was better than all those guys, but he was also the least fun to watch. The mid-00s was a PF-heavy era, and those guys made it an argument but we knew Duncan was better than them...

Shaq and Iverson faded from the convo, Mac was still around but Kobe elevated and created some separation. Mid-00s I wouldn't say there was one clear guy but it would have to be Kobe and Duncan above everyone else, and I'd favor Duncan because of the consistent winning impact----->which isn't championship-specific. Nobody wins the title every year. But Duncan had more if a winning impact than Kobe...

Late 00s Duncan faded from the convo. He was still an elite player for quite awhile, I'd argue that he was still a Top 15 guy in '13, he was incredible in the '13 Finals. But while he was still an elite player, he was fading annually from where he was at, he wasn't the best player in the world anymore or in the conversation by 2008...
^^^^^This
Thats an incredible feat one of the greatest post season run in the sports history. A credible case can be made duncan is a top 5 player in the sports history, he easily dominated that era of basketball

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thats an incredible feat one of the greatest post season run in the sports history. A credible case can be made duncan is a top 5 player in the sports history, he easily dominated that era of basketball

(Verse 1: N.O.R.E.)
Aiyyo these industry nikkas they startin not to like me
I'm too shiesty (shiesty) I'm too fiesty (fiesty)
Run up on labels and I beat up kids
It's N-O! Ain't no need to ask who that is
I'm like Tim Duncan (Huh) close to unstoppable.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Duncan is arguably better than Lebron :manny:
Make the case. Because if he's better than LeBron that means he's better than every other player that ever played. Abd I don't think you truly believe that but I'd love to hear the argument...

Duncan has a ceiling. There's no strong argument for him as a GOAT3 guy...