How good was prime Tim Duncan? At his peak was he the best player of the 2000s?

At his peak and prime was duncan the best player of the 2000s?

• Yes

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Make the case. Because if he's better than LeBron that means he's better than every other player that ever played. Abd I don't think you truly believe that but I'd love to hear the argument...

Duncan has a ceiling. There's no strong argument for him as a GOAT3 guy...
There is:

Duncan got 5 rings with the following conditions:

Never played with a true super team

Never played with another superstar in their prime (Robinson was post injury)

Played in the 2000s western conference

Played with different styles and schemes

Lebron got all the accolades, but you have to basically do it his way, which, obviously yields results, but is not really significantly better than other legends

Look at how LeBron's Laker stint has turned out, for instance. Mofo got JJ Reddikk.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
There is:

Duncan got 5 rings with the following conditions:

Never played with a true super team

Never played with another superstar in their prime (Robinson was post injury)

Played in the 2000s western conference

Played with different styles and schemes

Lebron got all the accolades, but you have to basically do it his way, which, obviously yields results, but is not really significantly better than other legends

Look at how LeBron's Laker stint has turned out, for instance. Mofo got JJ Reddikk.
You singled out LeBron, but every other GOAT10 player was on a Super Team of his era, at some point of their careers. So if this is a consistent standard for you, that means you give Duncan this benefit over everyone, correct?

Duncan has all kinds of accolades, we aren't talking about a guy who isn't decorated himself...

Here's my thing, not playing with a Super Team makes Duncan a historical outlier for a guy as strong as he was, but it's not a real legacy point, I don't think it has much value because he still had many years he had clearly the best team in basketball...

A real exercise is, how often did Duncan not have the clear best team in ball, and how far did he take that team? There weren't many years of his prime that his Spurs were at an organizational, roster, or coaching deficiency. Bron, Kobe, Shaq, Wilt are 4 players who clearly jump to mind who more regularly had carry jobs they were tasked with...

I do think it's a legacy point that he never really had a Top 10 teammate, that's a real thing. Although one could argue his early years with Robinson, the "Twin Towers" years, Robinson was playing at a close enough level to elite to make this debatable. The argument isn't that he played with Peak Admiral because we all recognize he didn't, but in Duncan's first 4 seasons (thru 2001), Robinson played 78.3 games/year, averaging 17.5/9.7 with 3.6 stocks, which turned into 17.4/11.7 and 4.1 stocks in the playoffs...

If you go back to that time period, not before, not after, strictly 1997-98 thru 2000-01, I could easily make the argument David Robinson was somewhere between the 13th and 16th best player in basketball. He was a Top 15-ish player for 4 years, which is comparable to Duncan's GOAT peers and the Top 15 teammates they had...

On the same note, the meat of Duncan's prime, he went probably a decade, from 2001 to 2011, without another Top 15 teammate until Parker's ascension, which is probably longer than any other GOAT player ever went without a teammate of that stature. So that is a real legacy point, in the stretch he didnt have a Top 15 teammate he won 3 championships, all as a #1...

He has real things both for and against him. He certainly is on the lower end of peaks of GOAT players, which really just highlights how great his overall support was during his career to achieve the success that he did, because he simply didn't peak as high as some of the others. Like, how much higher did he peak than Garnett, for instance? But there's a dramatic gap in their successes, mostly (but not fully) attributable to the fact that Garnett more regularly war competing with more organizational defiency---->Duncan didn't peak highly enough to assume he has his same success rate of championship contention if he and Garnett shift roles...

Garnett did peak highly enough that if he and Duncan swap teams, Kevin Garnett is a multiple time champion and his career is framed in a higher perspective, even if he doesn't match Duncan's success rate (no version of Kevin Garnett as your best player is winning 5 championships)...

Also your different styles and schemes isn't a win if comparing directly to LeBron, who led deep playoff runs consistently with different schemes and styles. Unless we are gonna really lie and sit here and say Mike Brown, Erik Spoelstra, David Blatt, Ty Lue, Frank Vogel, and Darvin Ham all ran the same schemes and had the same personnel around LeBron...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I think Shaq and Duncan were too even in the first half of the decade for either of them to be considered uniquely the best player of the 2000s, and Kobe/LeBron were clearly better than both in the second half of the decade. If you're just talking peak, then at their peak Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Bron, Garnett, Dirk, AI, CP3, and Nash all had some sort of case at one point or another.

But I do think Duncan's 1999-2005 stretch was incredible, and at least in terms of pure accomplishments and accolades is the best stretch of that length for any big man in my lifetime.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
You singled out LeBron, but every other GOAT10 player was on a Super Team of his era, at some point of their careers. So if this is a consistent standard for you, that means you give Duncan this benefit over everyone, correct?

Duncan has all kinds of accolades, we aren't talking about a guy who isn't decorated himself...

Here's my thing, not playing with a Super Team makes Duncan a historical outlier for a guy as strong as he was, but it's not a real legacy point, I don't think it has much value because he still had many years he had clearly the best team in basketball...

A real exercise is, how often did Duncan not have the clear best team in ball, and how far did he take that team? There weren't many years of his prime that his Spurs were at an organizational, roster, or coaching deficiency. Bron, Kobe, Shaq, Wilt are 4 players who clearly jump to mind who more regularly had carry jobs they were tasked with...

I do think it's a legacy point that he never really had a Top 10 teammate, that's a real thing. Although one could argue his early years with Robinson, the "Twin Towers" years, Robinson was playing at a close enough level to elite to make this debatable. The argument isn't that he played with Peak Admiral because we all recognize he didn't, but in Duncan's first 4 seasons (thru 2001), Robinson played 78.3 games/year, averaging 17.5/9.7 with 3.6 stocks, which turned into 17.4/11.7 and 4.1 stocks in the playoffs...

If you go back to that time period, not before, not after, strictly 1997-98 thru 2000-01, I could easily make the argument David Robinson was somewhere between the 13th and 16th best player in basketball. He was a Top 15-ish player for 4 years, which is comparable to Duncan's GOAT peers and the Top 15 teammates they had...

On the same note, the meat of Duncan's prime, he went probably a decade, from 2001 to 2011, without another Top 15 teammate until Parker's ascension, which is probably longer than any other GOAT player ever went without a teammate of that stature. So that is a real legacy point, in the stretch he didnt have a Top 15 teammate he won 3 championships, all as a #1...

He has real things both for and against him. He certainly is on the lower end of peaks of GOAT players, which really just highlights how great his overall support was during his career to achieve the success that he did, because he simply didn't peak as high as some of the others. Like, how much higher did he peak than Garnett, for instance? But there's a dramatic gap in their successes, mostly (but not fully) attributable to the fact that Garnett more regularly war competing with more organizational defiency---->Duncan didn't peak highly enough to assume he has his same success rate of championship contention if he and Garnett shift roles...

Garnett did peak highly enough that if he and Duncan swap teams, Kevin Garnett is a multiple time champion and his career is framed in a higher perspective, even if he doesn't match Duncan's success rate (no version of Kevin Garnett as your best player is winning 5 championships)...

Also your different styles and schemes isn't a win if comparing directly to LeBron, who led deep playoff runs consistently with different schemes and styles. Unless we are gonna really lie and sit here and say Mike Brown, Erik Spoelstra, David Blatt, Ty Lue, Frank Vogel, and Darvin Ham all ran the same schemes and had the same personnel around LeBron...
Good counter, thanks for responding

To answer your questions:

1) yes, this would theoretically put Duncan above everyone, not just LeBron. Basically, Duncan does have somewhat of a case for the being the best ever. I'm not saying he IS. But it shouldn't be laughed.

2) The question is how great were those spurs teams?

You said yourself Duncan had a 10 year stretch between 2001 and 2011 where he didn't have a top 15 costar. Ginobli and Parker were awesome players but they were never superstar all-nba players like that. (Some combo of Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Dirk, Nash, KG, webber, AI, TMac, Kidd, Carter, Pierce, Lebron, wade, arenas, Wallace, Dwight, Carmelo, Yao, cp3 were all better than Parker and Ginobli during that time).

What had Popovich done without Duncan? Honest question.

Parker was bad defensively early on, and wasn't a strong shooter.

Kareem and Magic, Shaq and Kobe had each other, Jordan had pippen, lebron had Wade, AD, and Durant had everybody lmao. And all of them those were top 5-top 10 players in the league.

Which leads to my next point:

3) the scheme was more varied around Duncan. He didn't need to dominate the ball. Lebron, let's be honest, still is dramatically more effective with the ball in his hands. So even though he's great with it... it limits what the offense can do without him. That's why it seems like Lebron teams have sucked when he's on the bench more than other superstars. The system the team runs has to fit Lebron too much.

so as a result... Duncan made it easier for the Spurs to avoid a coaching/roster deficiency.

I agree with your point about KG - KG definitely wins rings in SAS based on his skillset, and Duncan never peaking much higher than him in any meaningful way.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I remember back in the day watching the 2003 NBA Finals rooting for the Jason Kidd led Nets thinking to myself like, "How the fukk is Tim Duncan getting quadrouple doubles just dominating the Nets like this :mjtf:"

He played even better in that series than the 1999 NBA Finals

2003 was David Robinson's last season, and Parker and Giniboli didn't come of age yet and to lead that team to be dominant was a testament to his greatness

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Good counter, thanks for responding

To answer your questions:

1) yes, this would theoretically put Duncan above everyone, not just LeBron. Basically, Duncan does have somewhat of a case for the being the best ever. I'm not saying he IS. But it shouldn't be laughed.

2) The question is how great were those spurs teams?

You said yourself Duncan had a 10 year stretch between 2001 and 2011 where he didn't have a top 15 costar. Ginobli and Parker were awesome players but they were never superstar all-nba players like that. (Some combo of Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Dirk, Nash, KG, webber, AI, TMac, Kidd, Carter, Pierce, Lebron, wade, arenas, Wallace, Dwight, Carmelo, Yao, cp3 were all better than Parker and Ginobli during that time).

What had Popovich done without Duncan? Honest question.

Parker was bad defensively early on, and wasn't a strong shooter.

Kareem and Magic, Shaq and Kobe had each other, Jordan had pippen, lebron had Wade, AD, and Durant had everybody lmao. And all of them those were top 5-top 10 players in the league.

Which leads to my next point:

3) the scheme was more varied around Duncan. He didn't need to dominate the ball. Lebron, let's be honest, still is dramatically more effective with the ball in his hands. So even though he's great with it... it limits what the offense can do without him. That's why it seems like Lebron teams have sucked when he's on the bench more than other superstars. The system the team runs has to fit Lebron too much.

so as a result... Duncan made it easier for the Spurs to avoid a coaching/roster deficiency.

I agree with your point about KG - KG definitely wins rings in SAS based on his skillset, and Duncan never peaking much higher than him in any meaningful way.
Duncan didn't have a great co-star most of his career, but he did have great teams. He anchored some elite defenses most of his career, but also those teams were deceptively balanced offensively in retrospect...

For years I've said Duncan was Evolutionary Bill Russell, he's basically what Russell would look like in the modern game. Defensively dominant at a historical scale, great offensive player with lower offensive peaks than many others but prone some huge peaks of offensive performance in his prime...

How great were those Spurs teams? In 13 years as a #1 (thru 2010), they were 6x #1 in NetRtg, including four straight years (2004-07). 3 of his 4 titles ('99, '05, '07) in this stretch came with the best team in basketball by NetRtg, and in '03 they were still #3 by that metric...

Duncan never played on any "Super Teams", but he also never played on any bad teams, so to me this cancels it out. And his teams on average were closer to great, than mid, which, while Duncan deserves a ton of credit as the linchpin of this success, a guy who plays 19 years never once on a bad team is about more than The Guy. He did have that Top 15 co-star in his first 4 years and in his last 5. In the stretch he didn't have the elite co-star the roster around him was built almost perfectly, with elite defenders besides himself, clutch scoring from the backcourt and off the bench, and smart playmakers around him since he wasn't an elite one himself...

Duncan had a couple years he was "carrying" relative to other years of his career but he was never tasked with a true carry job...

None of this detracts from his greatness, because I do think he has a Top 4 case. But I think absent of the super high performance peak, his Top 3 case is questionable at best...

Also when we're talking how guys elevate teams, most of Duncan's value comes defensively. He didn't have the offensive gifts many others had, nor was he tasked with the responsibilities those guys had...

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Duncan didn't have a great co-star most of his career, but he did have great teams. He anchored some elite defenses most of his career, but also those teams were deceptively balanced offensively in retrospect...

For years I've said Duncan was Evolutionary Bill Russell, he's basically what Russell would look like in the modern game. Defensively dominant at a historical scale, great offensive player with lower offensive peaks than many others but prone some huge peaks of offensive performance in his prime...

How great were those Spurs teams? In 13 years as a #1 (thru 2010), they were 6x #1 in NetRtg, including four straight years (2004-07). 3 of his 4 titles ('99, '05, '07) in this stretch came with the best team in basketball by NetRtg, and in '03 they were still #3 by that metric...

Duncan never played on any "Super Teams", but he also never played on any bad teams, so to me this cancels it out. And his teams on average were closer to great, than mid, which, while Duncan deserves a ton of credit as the linchpin of this success, a guy who plays 19 years never once on a bad team is about more than The Guy. He did have that Top 15 co-star in his first 4 years and in his last 5. In the stretch he didn't have the elite co-star the roster around him was built almost perfectly, with elite defenders besides himself, clutch scoring from the backcourt and off the bench, and smart playmakers around him since he wasn't an elite one himself...

Duncan had a couple years he was "carrying" relative to other years of his career but he was never tasked with a true carry job...

None of this detracts from his greatness, because I do think he has a Top 4 case. But I think absent of the super high performance peak, his Top 3 case is questionable at best...

Also when we're talking how guys elevate teams, most of Duncan's value comes defensively. He didn't have the offensive gifts many others had, nor was he tasked with the responsibilities those guys had...
What do you consider "good teams"? Some of those Spurs teams completely lacked talent. No one can look at that 03 championship team and label that as a good supporting roster.

I don't necessarily agree either about KG winning multiple titles if he replaced Duncan. While KG was a better passer he wasn't as good in the post. Those early Spurs teams were built completely around the threat of Duncan as a post scorer which then opened the game up for the rest of his teammates. It was the true definition of making his teammates better. He had a great sense of when to take over offensively or when to fall back and let a Parker or Giniboli cook. Under a lot of other great players they likely never would've had the chance to develop into who they became because so many other stars are stat obsessed and want the offense to run through them. Especially with them being late draft picks.

I think Duncan is easily top 10 and wouldn't be mad at having someone top 5. He's penalized for being one of those players that put their stats to the back for the good of the team. He also wasn't flashy defensively and instead used his length and positioning to play defense instead of chasing blocks or steals.

To me he's the hardest player to rank in all time discussions because so much of what he did wasn't on stat sheets.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
He and KG each had legit arguments for best player in the 2000s

Shaq too for the first half of the decade

Coli Hoecomb

Trollin' in my 64'
Daps
Reppin
East Coast All Stars
What do you consider "good teams"? Some of those Spurs teams completely lacked talent. No one can look at that 03 championship team and label that as a good supporting roster.

I don't necessarily agree either about KG winning multiple titles if he replaced Duncan. While KG was a better passer he wasn't as good in the post. Those early Spurs teams were built completely around the threat of Duncan as a post scorer which then opened the game up for the rest of his teammates. It was the true definition of making his teammates better. He had a great sense of when to take over offensively or when to fall back and let a Parker or Giniboli cook. Under a lot of other great players they likely never would've had the chance to develop into who they became because so many other stars are stat obsessed and want the offense to run through them. Especially with them being late draft picks.

I think Duncan is easily top 10 and wouldn't be mad at having someone top 5. He's penalized for being one of those players that put their stats to the back for the good of the team. He also wasn't flashy defensively and instead used his length and positioning to play defense instead of chasing blocks or steals.

To me he's the hardest player to rank in all time discussions because so much of what he did wasn't on stat sheets.
:salute:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

I consider a team good or great relative to the season or era they competed in...

Most of his teams weren't historically great, but then, most players don't have more than a couple teams that are historically great...

The '03 Spurs were #3 in NRtg, #3 in DRtg, #9 in ORtg. They won 60 games, bruh. Relative to some of his other Spurs teams, this one was weaker, sure, but they weren't a bad team. #3 in NRtg. That team was defensively stout and while offensively challenged, they still had a Top 10 offense. The only squads in ball you'd realistically even debate, we're better than '03 SA, would be Detroit, Portland, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Sacramento, or Dallas. At worst we're saying the '03 Spurs were the 7th best team in basketball...

At worst....realistically we do not believe there were six teams better than the team that won the title, that isn't the case any season, there are never six teams better than the champion. Teams don't luck up into the championship by not being one of the best teams in basketball...

We give these revisionist passes to every player when it's convenient, and I don't think we always notice when we do it with Duncan because of the way we frame his career. Because he was such a low key personality, post-retirement the last 8 years I've noticed that we can tend to sometimes shape his career as more challenging than it actually was, when in comparison, he faced little adversity relative to most of his GOAT peers. In real time of his career, we all saw that he never had a bad team, it was Russell all over again in more ways than one...

He was Evolutionary, Modernized Bill Russell...

I do agree that he uniquely empowered his teammates because he didn't need the ball, or the spotlight, but part of this too, is there were simply guys with greater offensive talents than Duncan. That's not shytting on Duncan, it is what is. A more gifted offensive player could have had the ball more but empowered his teammates just the same; I don't think Duncan is the only GOAT player Parker or Ginobili could've found success with. Particularly given, one is one of the greatest 6th men ever, and the other is a historically underrated point who at his peak was very much an elite player even if not quite meeting the definition of "superstar"...

So I think it goes both ways, I think Duncan can be penalized by some because he wasn't loud or scored a ton of points. But I think in other cases we penalize other people because they got their results in a different manner than how Duncan got his, when in most of those situations those guys had more adversity than Duncan, but also more developed offensive talents as well...

Duncan just didn't peak highly enough to have a real case as GOAT to me, in order for that to be the case there would have to be a definitive window of time where, while Kobe and Shaq (the two main competitors of his era) were at their apex, Duncan clearly distance himself as better. There are definitive windows of time that Mike, Bron, Kareem were clearly the best players in basketball...

He doesn't have enough All-Time front to back playoff runs either, he's got '99 and '03. Those other 3 guys have more than two All-Time postseason runs and to be quite honest, the best of those players was outright better than the best version of Duncan...

To those three in particular, we are also talking about three guys who were defensively elite at peak as well, and three guys who were significantly stronger scorers and offensive engines than Duncan...

These are also three players who had real limitations around them they had to overcome, be it ownership, management, coaching, roster construction, teammates, or all the above at once, these guys had to overcome significant adversity more than Duncan had to. They had to carry more responsibilities. This matters...

Again, none of this minimizes Duncan's GOATness, it's a more than fair point that the Spurs organization is a second-tier franchise at best in its non-Duncan history. He's the piece that connected everything and made them annual contenders, and it's part and parcel to why I accept him as high as the 4th greatest player ever...

But for the reasons I listed above, I do not think he has a legitimate case as the greatest player ever...

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
Its clear based on the poll and commentary on here duncan was the best player of the 2000s, no ifs and buts about it. 3FMVP, 2 league mvps, 10 all nba first team selections and several defensive first team selections, this isnt even close in my view. Tim duncan is in a league of his own, and has a strong case to be a top 5 player

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I’ma Spurs fan so i’m biased. I’ll say it use to range between Shaq, TD, Kobe, smig of KG as the best in the league from 2000-2005. He was special. You saw “it” his 2nd year in college. Amazing fundamentals

Shaq, TD, AI, KG, and TMac