How good was prime Tim Duncan? At his peak was he the best player of the 2000s?

At his peak and prime was duncan the best player of the 2000s?

• Yes

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I’m biased. But I’m also right. Tim Duncan is the best, most effective basketball player since Jordan. The way he played basketball on offense from the low and high post allowed other less talented players to excel around him in a way that his contemporaries could not. This is why he had more career success than Dirk and KG and Rasheed and Webber who all to some extent were more versatile offensive players.

And his defensive ability covered up so many deficiencies of teammates that the Spurs were able to plug many different types of non defensive one dimensional players around him during his career. This is why his teams were consistently winning games and championships. His 5 rings are only rivaled by Kobe i. The post Jordan era. Kobe had another dominant top 10 great in his prime during the first half of his run.
i won't say he was definetly the most effective since jordan but he has a good case for sure. He was by far the best and also the most dominant two way player of the 2000s. 10 first teams all nba coupled with over 15 all defensive teams

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
Its genuinely surprising that a guy who was good enough to be first team defense 8times and 7times second team never could win a single defensive player of the year. He was one of the greatest two way players in history and the best of the 2000s, just going by his stats, accolades and first team all nba and defensive selections

Yet Rudy has 4 smh

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
All time great who is solidly in my top 5-10 players ever. He was a beast on both ends of the court and only cause winning was the goal did he not have better offensive numbers. Easily could have been 25-13 if that's what it was all about but he saved that for the big moments in the playoffs when it was needed. For sure he was the best player for a stretch in the 2000's and has just as much of an argument as anyone else as to being the best overall of that era.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I was watching some old Dungawd highlights and its CRAZY the level of competition he was getting his numbers and championships against.

Shaq on Monday

Sheed on Wednesday

Dirk on Thursday

Garnett on Sunday

Young Amare on Tuesday

Imagine 5 games and the WORST big you play against is either Sheed or Young Amare :wow:

Now I'm watching Jokic and Embiid get they numbers and mvp's against Jarrett Allen, Wendall Carter, Nic Claxton, and Rashaun Holmes :scust:
Jordan in the mid to late 90s

Plumber on Monday

Reggie Miller on Wednesday

Electrician on Thursday

Steve Smith on Saturday

Welder on Tuesday

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That '99 Spurs squad doesn't get the proper respect it deserves due to being a lockout season with a lot of players out of shape. Went 15-2 in the POs. The best or 2nd best (after '14) Spurs team ever.
Nah don't shoot them that bail. If that was Shaq, Kobe, Mike, Bron etc it gets its proper due. Duncan exposes the duplicity of most fans. Dude was everything people swear they want...humble, unselfish, fundamentally sound, no drama. Yet folks completely overlook him in favor of narcissistic drama queens. Just imagine Jordan smacking the Kufi off of Bird and Hakeem and Marques Johnson in his 2nd yr with < 14 ppg as his backup. shyt would have its own ESPN channel :russ:.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
If you were too young to see Duncan play, that means you also didn't see Kobe play. Which is fine because all of us started our viewership at some point...

Not a single person on this board has seen every great player play, and no one on this board was watching ball before the 80s. At the earliest we've had two guys in my time here, who could trace their viewership to the '83 Sixers season at the earliest. Everybody here is relatively young, nobody here has seen everybody play, and alota these older nighas on here be outright lying about who and what they saw and you can tell when you were around for certain things and nikkas say certain things...

I just recently found out this nikka @CHICAGO is younger than me but he git the nerve to talk about agendas 🤣 🤣 this board is also full of a bunch of emotionally undeveloped grown men who don't know how to disagree with men respectfully. Some of these nikkas are 30+ and grew up on the internet, been on these type forums for 20 years so the online banter and shyt has become their persona, and you can tell this too. Some of these nikkas have spent more time arguing sports online than actually being in the real world talking about shyt...

This is why I've always made it a point to highlight my age and where I was at a certain stage of my life. These nikkas be on here talking from the perspective of being perpetual internet nikkas...

My point is, your basketball journey starts in 2014, mine started in 1999, everyone's started somewhere. But now framing your journey as only going to '14, try to educate yourself more on Kobe and NBA history before your time. Because you also didn't really see Kobe play, and all of your assertions aren't wrong. But you are too strong on it at times and it's probably because, since you didn't really see him play, you also haven't educated yourself enough on him to have unbiased educated opinions about him...

More on Duncan in my next post...

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you were too young to see Duncan play, that means you also didn't see Kobe play. Which is fine because all of us started our viewership at some point...

Not a single person on this board has seen every great player play, and no one on this board was watching ball before the 80s. At the earliest we've had two guys in my time here, who could trace their viewership to the '83 Sixers season at the earliest. Everybody here is relatively young, nobody here has seen everybody play, and alota these older nighas on here be outright lying about who and what they saw and you can tell when you were around for certain things and nikkas say certain things...

I just recently found out this nikka @CHICAGO is younger than me but he git the nerve to talk about agendas 🤣 🤣 this board is also full of a bunch of emotionally undeveloped grown men who don't know how to disagree with men respectfully. Some of these nikkas are 30+ and grew up on the internet, been on these type forums for 20 years so the online banter and shyt has become their persona, and you can tell this too. Some of these nikkas have spent more time arguing sports online than actually being in the real world talking about shyt...

This is why I've always made it a point to highlight my age and where I was at a certain stage of my life. These nikkas be on here talking from the perspective of being perpetual internet nikkas...

My point is, your basketball journey starts in 2014, mine started in 1999, everyone's started somewhere. But now framing your journey as only going to '14, try to educate yourself more on Kobe and NBA history before your time. Because you also didn't really see Kobe play, and all of your assertions aren't wrong. But you are too strong on it at times and it's probably because, since you didn't really see him play, you also haven't educated yourself enough on him to have unbiased educated opinions about him...

There are no unbiased sports opinions. You cant go back and watch every game so other folks perceptions along with stats and accolades are gonna shape your opinion. And while I get your point and agree to a degree I think actually seeing it is a tad overrated. Look at the discussion on here. It often feels like nikkas are watching in different multiverses. nikkas allow bias and preferences to override what actually happens all the time. And thats not from a high horse. I know I'm guilty of it too...but not like them :russ:. I think educating yourself and gaining understanding is important regardless of age or era. But bias and folks talking out they ass aint going nowhere.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

:dead:MY AGE HAS NEVER BEEN POSTED
ON THIS SITE YOU LGTB IDIOT

:devil:
:evil:

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

Yea im 38 and can say i started to understand ball in 92-93 but obviously as far as X’s and O’s, that was when i hit 7th grade and up. When i name my greatest players, i always reference my list as guys that i’ve seen live with my own eyes

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Yes, at his best, Duncan was the best player in basketball!

In that immediate post-Jordan era, it was he and Shaq at the top. I started watching ball the '99 lockout season, but I don't know that people really felt a Y2 Duncan was THE best player in basketball. Malone was kinda the incumbent, and Shaq was there, as far as post-Jordan guys. In 2000 Duncan was incredible but got hurt and I think either missed the playoffs or got hurt in the playoffs, but it was him and Shaq. Shaq was healthy and the Lakers won it all so he got a larger share of the "best player" vote during the 3peat years, but Duncan was always there with him...

All these other guys people mention, Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, we're a clear level below Shaq and Duncan. We weren't seriously saying those guys were THE best player in basketball, they were fun to talk about because they were perimeter guys and engaging. But those 3peat years was clearly Shaq and Duncan interchangeably...

Garnett entered the conversation post-3peat, as Shaq declined. Duncan was always there, and we had some fun Duncan/Garnett/Dirk/Webber/Amare convos (you're not gonna get a lot of honest Dirk anecdotes on here)...

I think we always understood Duncan was better than all those guys, but he was also the least fun to watch. The mid-00s was a PF-heavy era, and those guys made it an argument but we knew Duncan was better than them...

Shaq and Iverson faded from the convo, Mac was still around but Kobe elevated and created some separation. Mid-00s I wouldn't say there was one clear guy but it would have to be Kobe and Duncan above everyone else, and I'd favor Duncan because of the consistent winning impact----->which isn't championship-specific. Nobody wins the title every year. But Duncan had more if a winning impact than Kobe...

Late 00s Duncan faded from the convo. He was still an elite player for quite awhile, I'd argue that he was still a Top 15 guy in '13, he was incredible in the '13 Finals. But while he was still an elite player, he was fading annually from where he was at, he wasn't the best player in the world anymore or in the conversation by 2008...