Chris Paul intends to decline his 44 million dollar 2021 option, wants multi year deal

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
He is securing that bag! Suns can’t let him walk but the market isn’t going to be that bag. I see 30 million per for 3 years. 90 million total
Came to say this. He's made $300 million in his career so far he can afford to bet on himself a lil bit.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
So wait...am I understanding this wrong..? He's turning down playing one more season for 44 million after which he would be a free agent in order to get a multi-year contract immediately this off-season?

Isn't that him basically saying that he himself doesn't trust that he'll be healthy or coming off a good year at the end of next season?:heh:
Why should a franchise trust him being good for multiple years if he himself doesn't even believe in it apparently?:mindblown:
Because he has the leverage right now. He got Phoenix to a number two seed in a very competitive conference. If he waits until next offseason who knows if he gets hurt again or Phoenix sucks again or whatever, leverage gone. Like others are saying he's doing this because someone out there is already offering him the money on a longer deal.

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He’s not. Opt out and get a long term with more bread, while reducing his cap hit for next year. I’d opt out of $44 million if someone gives me a 2-3 deal at $30 million each.

He wouldn’t be opting out unless he knew there was a team that would offer it to him.

Scenario:

You can make $10 million dollars next year or you can make $40 million dollars total over the next 3 years. Which do you take?

Because it's routine business. Any player coming off a decent season declines their player option in search of a multi-year deal, Horford & Hayward didn't have years anywhere near as good as 2021 CP3 and they still got huge bags after opting out.

He's also helping the Suns with this opt-out, that $44m cap hit would've limited their flexibility. Now they have some wiggle room to maneuver while still being able to keep him.

No I get the financial motive of securing more money over a longer period but what I'm saying is that a guy in CP3's position and with his recent history of team hopping and joining a team plus immediately elevating their record, he should easily be able to do what Bron did for a while by signing all those one year deals getting big money. That way he would be able to make the most money over say a three year period if he stays healthy and performs.

The fact that CP3 is not choosing that route and at his age and with his injury history, it gives off the signal that he fears he might break down any moment now and just wants to secure a bag. Whereas with these lower tier players they just wanna cash in on a good season because they don't know if they can sustain that level of excellence. If I'm any team other than maybe Phoenix, I wouldn't offer CP3 much given his decision. It's an albatross contract waiting to happen.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
No I get the financial motive of securing more money over a longer period but what I'm saying is that a guy in CP3's position and with his recent history of team hopping and joining a team plus immediately elevating their record, he should easily be able to do what Bron did for a while by signing all those one year deals getting big money. That way he would be able to make the most money over say a three year period if he stays healthy and performs.

The fact that CP3 is not choosing that route and at his age and with his injury history, it gives off the signal that he fears he might break down any moment now and just wants to secure a bag. Whereas with these lower tier players they just wanna cash in on a good season because they don't know if they can sustain that level of excellence. If I'm any team other than maybe Phoenix, I wouldn't offer CP3 much given his decision. It's an albatross contract waiting to happen.

Bron isn't signing one year deals anymore though. He's signed with the Lakers through the 2023 season. You sign one last long term deal before your body starts breaking down. That's what Bron did and CP3 is trying to do.

Phoenix doesn't really have a choice in the matter as they are trying to appease Booker and convince him to stay long term. The time for experimenting and wasting years is over.

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
3 years 30-33m isn’t great for Phoenix on the back end of that, but Booker and Ayton still seem mentally young. Idk if Chris can teach Devin how not to be an a$$hole, but we’ll see

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
3 years 30-33m isn’t great for Phoenix on the back end of that, but Booker and Ayton still seem mentally young. Idk if Chris can teach Devin how not to be an a$$hole, but we’ll see
nikkas said that bout his current contact and they was wrong

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I can only think of the top of my head john stockton in terms of old azz pgs who still had it
stockton at 36 was avg 11 and 8 stocktn at 40 was avg 11 and 8

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Someone will give him 3 years and that team will be Phoenix. This move is all about keeping the team competitive enough to convince Booker to stay.

The last year will be a wash, but worth it if Booker re-signs. Booker was the only reason they took the gamble on CP3 anyways. It’s exactly what Minnesota should have done instead of bringing in KAT BFF thinking it would help solve the problem.
Booker is there for the next 3 years.