Chris Paul intends to decline his 44 million dollar 2021 option, wants multi year deal

drifter

Superstar
Daps
He is taking the cash, literally, why else do you think he's opting out :heh:

Second best record in the league, got the champs on the ropes. They don't get to do any of it without him so he's already proved his value. I'm sure they've already talked and agreed to it, just gotta wait for the offseason

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So wait...am I understanding this wrong..? He's turning down playing one more season for 44 million after which he would be a free agent in order to get a multi-year contract immediately this off-season?

Isn't that him basically saying that he himself doesn't trust that he'll be healthy or coming off a good year at the end of next season?:heh:
Why should a franchise trust him being good for multiple years if he himself doesn't even believe in it apparently?:mindblown:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
He’s 37 and injury prone, how is he gonna get a deal averaging 45 million per?

He’s not. Opt out and get a long term with more bread, while reducing his cap hit for next year. I’d opt out of $44 million if someone gives me a 2-3 deal at $30 million each.

He wouldn’t be opting out unless he knew there was a team that would offer it to him.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Sounds crazy for a 36 yr old to be asking for another multi year at those numbers
But he already disproved the people who were clowning his current contract so why not double down
:manny:

I think it's a matter of how long can he stay healthy before falling off a cliff physically

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So wait...am I understanding this wrong..? He's turning down playing one more season for 44 million after which he would be a free agent in order to get a multi-year contract immediately this off-season?

Isn't that him basically saying that he himself doesn't trust that he'll be healthy or coming off a good year at the end of next season?:heh:
Why should a franchise trust him being good for multiple years if he himself doesn't even believe in it apparently?:mindblown:

He’s not. Opt out and get a long term with more bread.

I’d opt out of $44 million if someone gives me a 2-3 deal at $30 million each.