Chinese EV giant BYD says self-driving tech is more valuable for factories than cars and Fully Autonomous Driving Is “Basically Impossible”

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
y'all complain about how cars are extremely expensive now. I can't wait to see y'all complain about the AI cars driving around without you.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
no they aren't and this isn't just about car companies

the biggest people banking on self driving are the rideshare companies and transport sector. from what I can recall uber was never going to be in the green until this tech was reality to offset to cost of drivers. that's the dream they sold as a start up to investors. years later they have pushed that goal out the window off a ledge down a hill and off a cliff. the forecast they had for getting this tech to be a reality was like 5 years over 5 years ago :laff:

Yes, they are. Tesla isn't the golden standard. There are two companies that already have approval for actual FSD and one (Mercedes iirc) is already actually working in Europe although it's restricted to certain highways and streets with approval in America.

The Sony/Honda afeela is the next step and due to be released in 2025

Tesla has never been FSD and was always level 2, whereas Mercedes and Afeela are regulated at level 3 which legally allows drivers to do other things while the car drives itself. Level 4 means you can remove gas and break peddles.

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
The kids that believed there’d be flying cars grew up and now telling the kids of today there’ll be self driving cars when they grow up :unimpressed:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I always figured unless every vehicle on the road was on the grid then self driving cars wouldn’t work out as well as intended. I wouldn’t want an AI to deal with the clowns driving on the road.
Man. I remember a few yrs ago I used to take heat at work because I said self driving was happening no time soon. Everyone was like it’s happening soon.

Glad the hype for it died down. It’ll eventually happen but I think we are talking 10 yrs+

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
pretty wild claim that it'll never happen especially when we know A.I can identify objects in pictures and videos and extrapolate the environment around them. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia GPU's end up in cars within a few years.

And when an accident happens, who will be at fault? It’s not just a technical challenge but you’ll need laws in place to go with it

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
isnt BYD having a problem with their batteries exploding???:heh::mjlol:
:gladbron: You lyin!!
cool-car-explosion-mmbntcjyn9l13uid.gif

:banderas:

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
The kids that believed there’d be flying cars grew up and now telling the kids of today there’ll be self driving cars when they grow up :unimpressed:

THE BIGGEST SET BACK FOR AUTOMOTIVE TECH WAS THE OIL INDUSTRY AND NOW THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

LIKE 7 YEARS AGO, I WAS AT A BATTERY ELECTRIC/AUTONOMOUS CONFERENCE. I SAW BOOTHS FOR INSURANCE COMPANIES. I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH A GENTLEMAN ABOUT LIABILITY. HE SAID THAT WAS THE REASON HE WAS THERE.

LIABILITY OF SELF DRIVING CARS IS GOING TO SHIFT FROM MOSTLY VEHICLE OWNERS TO PART LIABILITY OF THE MANUFACTURER. I ASKED HIM HOW THAT WOULD EFFECT RATES. OVERALL RATES WOULD GO DOWN BUT IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY AUTO INSURANCE WORKS. ITS GOING TO CUT THE SIZE OF INSURANCE COMPANIES IN HALF. YOUR CHOICE IN INSURANCE WILL ALSO BE LIMITED TO THE MANUFACTURER'S PARTNERS.

THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING TO SOME DEGREE WITH CONNECTED CARS.

HE ALSO SAID THAT INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE GOING TO DELAY IT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. THEY DON'T WANT IT AT ALL. PROFITS ARE TOO HIGH WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE. HUMANS ARE PROFITABLE WHEN IT COMES TO INSURANCE.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
And when an accident happens, who will be at fault? It’s not just a technical challenge but you’ll need laws in place to go with it

i think liability has largely been figured out, if it's a software issue then that will fall on the manufacturer just like any defective part shipped out is currently their responsibility.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
THE BIGGEST SET BACK FOR AUTOMOTIVE TECH WAS THE OIL INDUSTRY AND NOW THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

LIKE 7 YEARS AGO, I WAS AT A BATTERY ELECTRIC/AUTONOMOUS CONFERENCE. I SAW BOOTHS FOR INSURANCE COMPANIES. I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH A GENTLEMAN ABOUT LIABILITY. HE SAID THAT WAS THE REASON HE WAS THERE.

LIABILITY OF SELF DRIVING CARS IS GOING TO SHIFT FROM MOSTLY VEHICLE OWNERS TO PART LIABILITY OF THE MANUFACTURER. I ASKED HIM HOW THAT WOULD EFFECT RATES. OVERALL RATES WOULD GO DOWN BUT IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY AUTO INSURANCE WORKS. ITS GOING TO CUT THE SIZE OF INSURANCE COMPANIES IN HALF. YOUR CHOICE IN INSURANCE WILL ALSO BE LIMITED TO THE MANUFACTURER'S PARTNERS.

THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING TO SOME DEGREE WITH CONNECTED CARS.

HE ALSO SAID THAT INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE GOING TO DELAY IT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. THEY DON'T WANT IT AT ALL. PROFITS ARE TOO HIGH WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE. HUMANS ARE PROFITABLE WHEN IT COMES TO INSURANCE.

capitalists said greed is good for the system.:beli:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati

The car manufacturers. It's already a legal requirement to get FSD past level 2.

I really think Tesla poisoned the well in public discussions bc Mercedes already has level 3 FSD and Afeela will. Depending on how these two do in America, it'll be a launching point.

Not Tesla

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They're the Burger King of manufacturing. Wait for a McDonalds to open up and just open one up right across the street.

:sas2:

:sas1:

China is crushing all competition in automobile manufacturing and electric vehicle manufacturing and they’re just getting started:

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Electric cars have major issues to resolve before they take significant market share.

Charging speed and range are major issues.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Electric cars have major issues to resolve before they take significant market share.

Charging speed and range are major issues.

NO THEY AREN'T. RANGE IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR MOST. MOST PEOPLE DON'T PUT 100+ MILES A DAY ON THEIR CARS PER DAY.

CHARGING SPEED IS NOT AN ISSUE EITHER. YOU CHARGE DAILY. YOU WAKE UP TO A FULL CHARGE EVERYDAY.

THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS ARE VEHICLES THAT TOW OR VEHICLES ON ROAD TRIPS. THAT'S A 1-2 TIME A YEAR THING.