Chinese EV giant BYD says self-driving tech is more valuable for factories than cars and Fully Autonomous Driving Is “Basically Impossible”

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
These legacy car companies are behind the 8ball. They lack the ability to put together decent software for their cars. They take the easy and convenient way out by just doing Carplay and Andriod Auto. There's a reason why Tesla don't allow those and it's because they are killing it software side and I'm telling you they will eventually license it out to the legacy car makers. It's no different than Tesla allowing access to Ford, GM and other brands to the Supercharger network. Tesla gona make more $ with software than cars. At one point Tesla charged $10k for Full Self driving which is just a software unlock. If Tesla gets FSD working right he might as well just license it all and call it a day.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
These legacy car companies are behind the 8ball. They lack the ability to put together decent software for their cars. They take the easy and convenient way out by just doing Carplay and Andriod Auto. There's a reason why Tesla don't allow those and it's because they are killing it software side and I'm telling you they will eventually license it out to the legacy car makers. It's no different than Tesla allowing access to Ford, GM and other brands to the Supercharger network. Tesla gona make more $ with software than cars. At one point Tesla charged $10k for Full Self driving which is just a software unlock. If Tesla gets FSD working right he might as well just license it all and call it a day.

Tesla has fallen off as a car maker tho...:what: shyt is trash...

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Fully autonomous isn't practical unless ALL VEHICLES on the road are self driving and the roads act more as just a "Metro system" for the network of autonomous vehicles. But mix matching self driving and humans is just not pragmatic imo
I agree, but far be it for me to say practicality ever supersedes the bottomline. I still prefer the human element in everyday tasks, but there's a financial/economic term "acceptable risk" for a reason. If it gets to an incident rate in the once in million scale, expect to see this conversation to become more prevalent.

We do it for everything; vaccines, roller coaster rides, airplane safety, gun manufacturers, etc.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Fully autonomous isn't practical unless ALL VEHICLES on the road are self driving and the roads act more as just a "Metro system" for the network of autonomous vehicles. But mix matching self driving and humans is just not pragmatic imo
This.

Additionally when you take into account how many lawsuits the carmakers will get for their cars causing accidents.

They know it's not financially feasible so are doing it to shill their company.

Autonomous robots on the job place where there are more constraints is one thing. Operating in the Wild West (literally) is another thing entirely. Going to need mega infrastructure changes for it to happen and I don't think leadership in this country who are about making realistic, "good" changes will support this ponzi scheme of a cash grab.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This.

Additionally when you take into account how many lawsuits the carmakers will get for their cars causing accidents.

They know it's not financially feasible so are doing it to shill their company.

Autonomous robots on the job place where there are more constraints is one thing. Operating in the Wild West (literally) is another thing entirely. Going to need mega infrastructure changes for it to happen and I don't think leadership in this country who are about making realistic, "good" changes will support this ponzi scheme of a cash grab.

The thing is the best path forward would he totally anti capitalist even if you carved out an industry for each Us Automaker to "own".

Best path is semi autonomous with awareness alerts of probability for accident/illegal infraction.

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Tesla has fallen off as a car maker tho...:what: shyt is trash...
Haven't heard anything on build quality for the new Model 3 but my point is the software side which is their strong point. They will eventually stop making the Model S and X as they are not movers but the 3 and Y is here to stay. They probably will discontinue the Cybertruck within a few years is my guess.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Haven't heard anything on build quality for the new Model 3 but my point is the software side which is their strong point. They will eventually stop making the Model S and X as they are not movers but the 3 and Y is here to stay. They probably will discontinue the Cybertruck within a few years is my guess.

But software isnt the problem...:mjlol::dead: all these videos of these teslas falling apart and having errors in the software when driving is bad for business...