Can We Finally Admit GoW Ragnarok Was Mid?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
game wasn't hittin for me like it was supposed to :francis:

it was a very "safe" sequel that didn't try anything new or daring (it felt like 40 hour DLC to the 2018 GoW). it being cross-gen was a mistake that limited it's potential and I was personally dissapointed it was essentially a souped-up ps4 game that didn't take advantage of the PS5 like it should have. you really begin to see the cracks in the game design when playing Ragnarok...stuff that was maybe glossed over in 2018 because we were all so pleasantly surprised GoW was good again (i'm talking about things like the level design which wasn't very fun to traverse through in either game and felt very limited). For example, I should be able to scale structures in multiple ways, in a more open ended-fashion, not just the brightly colored ledges the devs signpost.

the puzzles for the most part were trash. using the axe to solve the puzzles was okay, but anything involving the sigils + blades of chaos was fukking garbo

story was mid with the most hyped character Thor just ending up being some sad drunkard. Kratos was frustratingly stubborn the whole game and edgy heel turns like bytchass Sindri just didn't work for me.

Combat was the saving grace imo, a lot of the other aspects of the game was mid af

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I agree that the puzzles were awful, but I felt the combat was an improvement from the first game. Atreus was awful in this game and I am not a fan of his sections, but the Kratos sections were very good. I don't think it was a game of the generation type of game, but it's def one of the few must play games of this generation so far.

Also, I agree that story wasn't as strong in this game compared to first game, but I still enjoyed it

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
The story, combat, lore, graphics were astounding. The puzzles weren't amazing but they didn't drag the game down.

My only negative of the game is that it dragged on a bit long, there's a bit of story filler that the game doesn't really need. They really wanted to stamp the game as a 50+ hour game when they didn't have to.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a gamer at all don't own any consoles so I don't know how much weight I have in this thread but GOW Ragnarok looked fun. I was watching ItsReal85 playthrough that game.

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
I agree that the puzzles were awful, but I felt the combat was an improvement from the first game. Atreus was awful in this game and I am not a fan of his sections, but the Kratos sections were very good. I don't think it was a game of the generation type of game, but it's def one of the few must play games of this generation so far.

Also, I agree that story wasn't as strong in this game compared to first game, but I still enjoyed it
yeah like I said, combat was awesome and the saving grace of Ragnarok (I even enjoyed the Atreus sections). I'll never get sick of the axe and how chonky it feels

everything else tho was kinda
:francis:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
It's a good game. Not mid at all though. It just felt it dragged a little and I was always ready to finish the Atreus sections early on because of the story portions but his combat was fun.

Puzzles for the sake of being puzzles probably added 10 hours to the game at least :russ:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I saw the thread title and saw this
1Etz51A.png

and laughed :russ:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Was much of the same. The graphical and gameplay jump wasn't as huge compared to the jumps between the first 4 console games.

Not saying the game was bad though.

Last edited: