Can We Finally Admit GoW Ragnarok Was Mid?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Game got high critical praise, a shyt ton of awards, a crazy amount of sales, and really positive fan reception.

Anything arguing against it being a top tier stand out game this generation are just deluding themselves and you already know who those people are going to be in this thread.

Whats the point? Its like trying to argue down Elden Ring at this point. This is the prototypical “this mega popular game was overrated and im salty” thread

Single player game, no mtx, no season passes and dlc, no bugs or glitches, great performance out the gate. No reason to be salty cause you had to play it on ps4 or wait for a pc launch.
There were a couple of gameplay glitches that would literally break the game (in that you'd have to reboot to fix), but they were very minimum.

Othewise yes, all this.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:russ: This ongoing trend of saying. A sequel to a game is dlc. Is the dumbest shyt gamers are pushing right now. Like by their definition of dlc. Every sequel to a game would be considered dlc. I can’t wait to see what they consider Spider-Man 2, and the next Zelda.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ehh. Everything ain't for everybody, breh. Elden Ring ain't shyt to me, but I'm not a fan of the From Software/Souls style games. It reviewing well is never going to change that it's just not my type of game.

You also can’t call it “mid” then. Say it’s not for you. We have a whole dictionary of words out there we can use to describe our feelings

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You also can’t call it “mid” then. Say it’s not for you. We have a whole dictionary of words out there we can use to describe our feelings

Mid is subjective. So, it can some mid to me, and pure piff to you. Neither assessment effects the other. It's not like me saying I think From Software games are some mid ass bullshyt erases them from existence or anything. :heh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Mid is subjective. So, it can some mid to me, and pure piff to you. Neither assessment effects the other. It's not like me saying I think From Software games are some mid ass bullshyt erases them from existence or anything. :heh:

It just doesn’t make for an interesting discussion if someone doesn’t like a certain genre of games, doesn’t play them, but now wants to talk about them and downplay them in an enthusiast gaming space.

Like again, whats the point? Feel how you want but its a bad faith argument not worth engaging in otherwise

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was just telling the homies yesterday who ain’t played yet they weren’t missing out on too much in hindsight. It was probably an objectively better game than 2018, but I fw that one more :francis:

Not mid tho. Like 8-8.5 rather than 9.5-10

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Game got high critical praise, a shyt ton of awards, a crazy amount of sales, and really positive fan reception.

Anything arguing against it being a top tier stand out game this generation are just deluding themselves and you already know who those people are going to be in this thread.

Whats the point? Its like trying to argue down Elden Ring at this point. This is the prototypical “this mega popular game was overrated and im salty” thread

Single player game, no mtx, no season passes and dlc, no bugs or glitches, great performance out the gate. No reason to be salty cause you had to play it on ps4 or wait for a pc launch.
I think the tricky thing about this is we're early into the gen, and so far it's a top tier game of the gen. However, I could easily see it drop a tier when more games release. I thought the game was solid, but it wasn't a game of generation type of game imo based on its Metacritic score.

I don't agree with the premise of the OP because nothing about the game was mid to me, and you have to acknowledge it's a well made game. I think the issue for me is, it didn't hit the same peak as the original. I know it's tough to follow up on a sequel of a very successful game. but didn't feel like there was much of a jump from original to Ragnarok.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
think the tricky thing about this is we're early into the gen, and so far it's a top tier game of the gen. However, I could easily see it drop a tier when more games release.

I would hope for that to be case. Theres probably at least 3 games releasing this year that i will probably enjoy more tbh

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It just doesn’t make for an interesting discussion if someone doesn’t like a certain genre of games, doesn’t play them, but now wants to talk about them and downplay them in an enthusiast gaming space.

Like again, whats the point? Feel how you want but its a bad faith argument not worth engaging in otherwise

Does there need to a discussion about it, then? I read breh's post, and he was expecting some shyt this game and most other games are probably never going to be (we're probably never getting freely climable structures in games just based off of how physics, clipping, and animations work). There's no real discussion there. He didn't like it, other people did. You ain't gotta take the bait EVERY time, breh.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Does there need to a discussion about it, then? I read breh's post, and he was expecting some shyt this game and most other games are probably never going to be (we're probably never getting freely climable structures in games just based off of how physics, clipping, and animations work). There's no real discussion there. He didn't like it, other people did. You ain't gotta take the bait EVERY time, breh.

I mean, I’ve only really addressed the OP once and don’t intend to keep arguing with the usual suspects about another playstation game being overrated.

This discussion between you and me is the way we talk about games in general, the term “mid” is honestly the most aggravating adjective being used on the internet these days. We used to use that for buying weed back in the day not to describe every event that happens in the world

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Graphically it was a "let down" (looked great in 4k though,)

This is really the only argument you can make for the game, but even then its just Sony suffering from its own success.

Like HFW blows GOWR out the water in graphics, but both of these games are still far better than anything other companies are pushing.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I would hope for that to be case. Theres probably at least 3 games releasing this year that i will probably enjoy more tbh
Yeah, this year is going to be strong. I look at Ragnarok as a great game to start off a gen, but games will surpass later in the gen. There's nothing wrong about that imo. I think the game does a great job to show you what these current gen systems can do. I don't think we've had many moments like that so far this gen since this gen felt like an extension of last gen