Bad movie theater experiences

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Another time I went to a dollar Cinema joint in a dilapidated shopping complex. It's very much a high crime, poor area but I had just gotten my license renewed at the bureau downstairs and had some time to kill.

The Dollar Cinema was cool because it showed some interesting films that weren't showing elsewhere and you can bring in snacks no questions asked.

I decided to check out Searching for Sugarman, the documentary about Rodriguez the singer. There mustve been 2 or 3 other people in the cinema, and one was just reclined smoking a fat blunt and blowing thick smoke into the air. And to my far right, I could see a couple basically fukking lol. Neither of these individuals were making noise, and I was able to still enjoy the movie.

$1 and 90 minutes well spent I suppose lol

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
What took so long for somebody to make such a thread, after all the complaining I've done about going to the movies. And some of the experiences I'm reading here, really makes me wonder why it took so long. Maybe I didn't see those threads.

Anyway, if somebody from the concession staff don't ruin your experience, somebody from the security staff will. If they don't ruin it, then one of the customers will. This seems to happen when you become a regular, especially for certain brothers. These experiences prompted me to start bringing my own popcorn and drink (Skinny Popcorn btw), and eat my snacks in my car right before the movie. Although I was saving money, doing this was beginning to make less and less sense.

I've been getting even more of these negative experiences lately, however my last experience wasn't too bad. As a matter of fact it was an almost good experience. The girl (a Hispanic girl) at the concession station was very polite. Even one of the young sisters (one of only two cute sisters working there) kinda waved at me. I haven't seen her in awhile, and I thought she had quit. She would sometimes avoid me, because every time I would get too friendly with her or the other cute sister, the staff would start acting weird towards me.

But one thing I really noticed when I came back, was how much salt is really on their popcorn, which use to taste only lightly salted compared to other locations. But since I started eating my Skinny Popcorn in my car, theirs taste too salty, to the point it felt like it stung my lips after awhile. I couldn't even finish it. Then when I would ask for fresh popcorn, somebody behind the counter would either walk away when they seen me coming (I think one time it was a manager), or they'd drag their feet. Then when I'd speak up about their conduct, like most men my age would, I'd become the bad guy. That's when I decided I had enough. But since I'm an A-List member, and they automatically charge $25 a month off my credit card, I'll still show up every now and then, until my three month mandatory A-List membership is up...which is probably up by now. I mean, who advertises A-List membership to customers, then allow their staff to show envy towards them if he's a Black man, because he don't have to wait in the long line. Another issue I have with this location is two of the ticket collectors ask me for ID when presenting my A-List membership, and I know they recognize me, and they're both non-Black. One is actually Bi-racial, but the other is clearly White. The rest of the ticket collectors don't ask me for ID anymore. I really don't mind showing my ID, but I'd rather they all ask, or none of them ask. When one of those non-Black ticket collectors asked for ID on my last visit, I pointed that out for the first time, plus made it clear neither one of them were Black. It is what it is.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: b_b

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I used to work at movie theater in my high school days.
  • Loud ass Kids
  • Crying ass kids
  • Loud ass teenagers
  • Karens before Karens were a thing
  • Since this was the South, tobacco chewing mf'ers and their need for a spit cup
  • Gummi Bears on the screen
  • Gypsy's trying to run game
  • Folks tryna get busy
  • Women's Bath Room much worse than a man's bathroom
  • Folks trying to smoke something...
As a civilian these days
  • Bright ass Phones
  • Loud ass teenagers
  • Plot giving away ushers...
The worst thing I ran into was 2 thugged out lesbians that would not shut the fukk up and was mean mugging the whole time.

I had many thoughts of violence.

Daps
When we went to see Boss Baby I had to pee really really bad, and when I went to go use the bathroom I overheard the employees arguing over who was going to clean the vomit in the bathroom up.

I couldn’t hold it and no one was by the door blocking people from getting in so i thought I could just ignore it, but I went in and there was literally a river of vomit, it covered the entire bathroom floor. It was like that scene in family guy were Brian found out he had sex with Quagmire’s dad. It was everywhere. I nearly threw up, myself.

I closed the door and went back to my seat like nothing happened. I was uncomfortable the entire time. When the movie was over the employees were still arguing over it. We never went to that theater again.

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
Went to watch Star Wars : The Force Awakens at the AMC 34th Street and the film stopped half way. Me and my wife had to wait 2 plus hours to see the next screening and our only option was to see was the 3D version , which wifey hates. Apparently this particular AMC is notorious for that. I used to go there when they first renovated back in 2003 and enjoyed all viewing experiences.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Heads up. Stay away from discount movie theaters, if there's any left. We use to have Thurday night $1 theaters in the late 80's and early 90's. You'd find more people acting a fool in those theaters, especially those young boys.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I remember right before the pandemic, I went to a crowded movie, and wound up sitting next to this overweight young White girl, with short hair. It was a Madea movie. She laughed through the whole movie. At one point, somebody's baby started crying, and the White girl immediately cried, "Oh man!" But she pronounced it "mee-an"...lol. As precious as Black women's babies are suppose to be to them, nobody said a word back to this White girl, and we were sitting near the center row. That's the ATL for you. If this had been the DMV, she would have got showered with popcorn, or got her a** kicked, unless the DMV gotten scared too since I moved. Then again, maybe they thought we were together, and maybe that's why she was bold enough to complain like that.

Then I remember not long after the pandemic, when I was coming out the restroom, some young White boy, barely old enough to see a "Rated R" movie, came in the restroom with a cell phone, saying he was going to record a dude taking a dump. Btw, this is a mostly Black theater, with a mostly Black staff. Anyway, there was a brother walking out right behind me. Since he didn't say anything, which didn't surprise me, I didn't say anything. That brother probably knew those Black dudes working security wasn't going to do anything, unless that White boy got violent. I remember complaining to security before the pandemic, about a young White boy working up front collecting tickets, discriminating against me. The White boy told me I needed to show him my A-List e-ticket, before presenting my ID, which was nowhere in their policy. Then I noticed he wasn't requiring the rest of the customers to do this. And all that Black security guard did was tell me the White boy was young. And this Black security guard looked my age! Anyway, if I ever have another young boy walk pass me in the restroom, takinbout they're gonna record some guy taking a crap, I won't hesitate to report it to security, that's if I don't confront him myself. As a matter of fact, I might even record myself confronting him and security...to put security on blast if they say something stupid like, "He's young"...smh.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
If other customers are the real problem, which seems to be the case with the coli, and not the staff, then another way to avoid problems is to catch a Twilight showing, and be one of the few people in the auditorium. But sometimes, that don't make sense either, esepcially if it's only you, or one other person in there :yeshrug:

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I see a lot of movies in theaters, up to 35 a year, and I can't think of egregious examples, besides just the movie being bad.

I remember some fat guy snoring during Drive, and I told him to wake the fukk up, or leave, because he was bothering me. He pulled it together. I flexed on him a little, easy target.

I remember being late to Insidious 2 in 2013-----probably a movie I should just skipped---- was sold out, and I found ONE seat next to this nerdy couple, but they looked nice enough, right, so I say "Hey I am sorry, but this is the only seat"

She says "oh we are saving that for someone", and I look at her a little funny, like the movie is 20 minutes in at this point, so I wait for 10 minutes, and then I just sit down. I was legit heated for a minute and thought about punking out her boyfriend, and throwing money in her face, even after the movie, but thankfully my better side prevailed.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I rarely go these days (particularly the first few opening weekends) because usually somebody in the audience has terrible etiquette and ruins the experience.

Anybody got any stories?
Tag everybody from Newark,NJ metro area so they can tell you old school stories about the Castle

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I go to Alamo Drafthouse and other theaters that cater to serious film fans.
They don't tolerate that shyt and won't even allow you to use your phone during the film.
Anybody checking their shyt with the bright ass light on in the middle of a dark theater will get tossed.:camby:

The last one I can remember was "Get Out." Some corny suburban ladies behind me kinda tried to do that talking at the screen shyt
but it wasn't hitting and they chilled.