At first it was funny, but now its just SAD to see New York lack a rap identity

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

I think all of their music sounds different enough from the rest of the country's to be considered a regional "style". And the folks in this thread are also clearly discussing regional differences.
Tyler's stuff (not the entirety of OF) doesn't really sound like anything coming out of NY RIGHT NOW.
Does Section.80 sound like something from the ATL ? From Minnesota ? From The Bay ? From Detroit ? From the DMV ? No.
Hopsin's sh1t is heavily influenced by production on the west, dude does Hyphy,G-Funk, hell even Jerking production. Lol :yes:
Dom Kennedy ? Straight CALI :yes:

The West, South and MidWest All have identities that clearly fit them.
And if we're talking about "Where the artist sounds like he's from" then wouldn't ASAP sound like he's from Houston ? Or Cali ? I mean Clams did start with Lil B, a west coast rapper.

The differences are getting smaller obviously since the advent of the internet but I think the local scenes are still very "different".
I mean Joey Bad@$$ sounds more "NY" than ANYBODY in my list, as he should.
So does Skyzoo.
Asap musically has a very unique style with influences from Houston with the screwed voiced hooks. But he doesn't sound like anyone, doesn't mean that he sounds like he's from New York.

Is probably my favorite OF song in recent time and it sounds new york, even though it's produced by a dude from Beverly Hills.

The thing with New York is that, everyone is heavily influenced by New York cause they laid the grounds from what hiphop is. But as soon as they are influenced by someone else they are jacking. I've not got a problem with influence at all, people like Clipse say they've got a New York rap style but if they didn't say that people would never say that. Cause they've got a "conservative" rap style, and conservative means new york. half of rick Ross post 2008 discography is straight new york based, but we don't say that cause being influenced by new york is standard for all rappers.

Anyways, there is an underground scene in Cali. I don't know too much about it, and I'm not discussing underground I'm discussing people that are national like Tyga, OF and Kendrick. I would never guess that they were from Cali, maybe it's cause I don't know much about the underground scene over there or maybe it's cause I think they've got influences from all over the board so I just can't assume that they're from Cali or any region. Just like people thought Wiz was from all over there place, when he's an east coast rapper with a very distinct unique sound and own producers from the same city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Come to think of it Summer Jam is a NYC area concert and about 10 of the 40 artist performing are from NY. From now on I'm just gonn alie to myself and call Mavado a NY artist.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
You are talking about certain individuals.
YG does not sound like he comes from LA, neither does Kendrick Lamar, Tyga, Odd Future or anyone else that I've heard recently. Wayne and his whole camp doesn't sound like they've got a NO sound Spitta sounds like he could be from LA and the duke in your avi is from the same state but could just as well be from Memphis. Houston n'ggas does not exist outside of Houston, so I could give a f*ck about them. It's like talking about underground Queens rappers.

And who in Miami sounds like he comes from Miami? Ace Hood? He could just as well be from Atlanta or Memphis or Indiana. I don't even think duke is from Miami.

Without knowing anything about these rappers I couldn't guess where most of them came from besides Atlanta cats.

A big problem is that people use the same producers and that its in this digital age a lot easier to find influences from all over the world.

lol u must be a cac if you cant tell the difference between black accents. get outta here with this bullshyt.

KTD2

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another NY rapper to check out: Roc Marciano.

Still definitively NY.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another NY rapper to check out: Roc Marciano.

Still definitively NY.

Roc is dope, but nowhere near who should be the leading the forefront for NYC. If anything it would be a step backwards. And mind you I know Roc can rhyme

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
lol u must be a cac if you cant tell the difference between black accents. get outta here with this bullshyt.

You must be a fukking monkey if you think you accent is what makes your musical style. Asap Rocky has a New York accent, not a traditional new york music style. Birdman has the same accent as Currensy but does their music seem to come from the same small city?

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
:comeon:
Not only that but I'm also a Tea bagger
Don't be mad that you're dumb enough to think accents is what defines your musical style.

Same dude what said this calling people dumb smh

You are talking about certain individuals.
YG does not sound like he comes from LA, neither does Kendrick Lamar, Tyga, Odd Future

It get's worse too.

And who in Miami sounds like he comes from Miami? Ace Hood? He could just as well be from Atlanta or Memphis or Indiana. I don't even think duke is from Miami.

:aicmon:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Same dude what said this calling people dumb smh

It get's worse too.

:aicmon:

What are you talking about?
What was your sohh name, stupid troll.

If you're gonna quote my posts do it correct.
Not his accent, his musical style. Asap doesn't sound like he comes from Houston either, he's got a New York accent.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Asap musically has a very unique style with influences from Houston with the screwed voiced hooks. But he doesn't sound like anyone, doesn't mean that he sounds like he's from New York.

Hodgy Beats - In a Dream - YouTube
Is probably my favorite OF song in recent time and it sounds new york, even though it's produced by a dude from Beverly Hills.

The thing with New York is that, everyone is heavily influenced by New York cause they laid the grounds from what hiphop is. But as soon as they are influenced by someone else they are jacking. I've not got a problem with influence at all, people like Clipse say they've got a New York rap style but if they didn't say that people would never say that. Cause they've got a "conservative" rap style, and conservative means new york. half of rick Ross post 2008 discography is straight new york based, but we don't say that cause being influenced by new york is standard for all rappers.

Anyways, there is an underground scene in Cali. I don't know too much about it, and I'm not discussing underground I'm discussing people that are national like Tyga, OF and Kendrick. I would never guess that they were from Cali, maybe it's cause I don't know much about the underground scene over there or maybe it's cause I think they've got influences from all over the board so I just can't assume that they're from Cali or any region. Just like people thought Wiz was from all over there place, when he's an east coast rapper with a very distinct unique sound and own producers from the same city.

The basic necessities for a rap record were laid in NY
so when someone makes a record with that mid 90's heavily sampled sound people automatically say
"That's Hip Hop !" not necessarily that it's "New York".
I think that's where the disconnect begins because there are plenty of rappers who make the "Hip Hop Record"
but not with the idea of "This is NY right here !" it's probably where the sound got lost.
It's the main reason people say there is an identity issue with NY, because there are guys who really don't know what "NY" sounds like.

I personally feel Tyler (and the other OF producers) can and have made some stuff that clearly is "Hip Hop" but it's different enough to say "This is from the west, this is from Southern California" do they also have records that wouldn't stand out if we did a blind test against traditional Hip Hop ? Of course.
Most every Hip Hop artist does.

Another thing I think NY may be suffering from is not having a group of people trying to reach one goal.
LA/Southern Cali has labels/groups like TDE, Funk Volume and Odd Future
which have a clear goal in mind and ways to get their product out (videos, mixtapes, websites the whole nine).
Joey Bad@$$, Exquire and Skyzoo are kind of doing the same thing independently, releasing videos, signing to indy labels, putting out free and paid projects while also keeping their regional or just plain original style (no one really sounds like Exquire)
but I feel to compete with the likes of Southern Cali (LA County basically :laugh: ) that they'll need more artists.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

The basic necessities for a rap record were laid in NY
so when someone makes a record with that mid 90's heavily sampled sound people automatically say
"That's Hip Hop !" not necessarily that it's "New York".
I think that's where the disconnect begins because there are plenty of rappers who make the "Hip Hop Record"
but not with the idea of "This is NY right here !" it's probably where the sound got lost.
It's the main reason people say there is an identity issue with NY, because there are guys who really don't know what "NY" sounds like.

I personally feel Tyler (and the other OF producers) can and have made some stuff that clearly is "Hip Hop" but it's different enough to say "This is from the west, this is from Southern California" do they also have records that wouldn't stand out if we did a blind test against traditional Hip Hop ? Of course.
Most every Hip Hop artist does.

Another thing I think NY may be suffering from is not having a group of people trying to reach one goal.
LA/Southern Cali has labels/groups like TDE, Funk Volume and Odd Future
which have a clear goal in mind and ways to get their product out (videos, mixtapes, websites the whole nine).
Joey Bad@$$, Exquire and Skyzoo are kind of doing the same thing independently, releasing videos, signing to indy labels, putting out free and paid projects while also keeping their regional or just plain original style (no one really sounds like Exquire)
but I feel to compete with the likes of Southern Cali (LA County basically :laugh: ) that they'll need more artists.

I agree on that, but like I said before I've not really got into to the CA underground scene, that might be why I can't recognize a CA record. It seems to be the most interesting scene in rap right now . I'm gonna have to get into it this summer.