Pete Rock & C. L. Smooth - They Reminisce Over You

Pete Rock & C. L. Smooth "They Reminisce Over You" - YouTube

Shyne - Bad boyz

Shyne - Bad boyz - YouTube

Mobb Deep - Quiet Storm (Remix)

Mobb Deep - Quiet Storm (Remix) - YouTube

Wu Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

Wu Tang Clan "C.R.E.A.M." - YouTube

I mean damn, is this too much to ask from NY these days? :wtf: Don't worry, I know the answer :sadbron:

Yeah, it is a lot to ask all that classic hip hop you just dropped lol. But thats exactly my point, its great when each region is putting out their own sound and own people. I love diversity and the various styles in Hip Hop. To me its the main reason why I think it's the best music genre. There is a lot more depth to it when everything is clicking than most people realize.

Its sad and I want New York to find new talent to get behind. Im going to check out Joey Badass because Tek suggested it.

:why:

The Miami sound still exist with or without Ross using it.
Houston has a huge underground scene and a very distinct sound, ASAP owes Houston for his DNA.
LOL @ N.O. nikkas sounding like anybody but themselves.
LA nikkas sound like LA nikkas, you can't hear Nipsey Hussle and YG and not think west-coast.

I agree. There is a distinct sound to a lot of areas. You can hear the westcoast slang/accent in Nipsey and YG. New Orleans big time too. Even though Currensy doesn't rhyme like C-Murder who doesn't rhyme like Lil Wayne you can still hear Louisiana in what they do. Their accents and references come out in a lot of their music.

PRVLG Sound Studios

PRVLG Sound Studios
Daps
Reppin
Teaneck, NJ
What kills me more than NY artist not having a sound and presence in the game anymore,is French Montana really being considered the best they have to offer

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
What kills me more than NY artist not having a sound and presence in the game anymore,is French Montana really being considered the best they have to offer
Asap rocky is the best new rapper from NY and probably the best new rapper.
Vado is one of them too but he's not making too much noise. New not being past 5-7 years like krit, drake, big sean, wiz, cole and that class of rappers.

Besides him they've got Nicki Minaj, Fabolous, Jay, Nas, Jadakiss and other still making noise and moving units. Which is more than all cities besides Atlanta.

As far as new rappers, which city has more than 2-3 "new rappers" that are nationally known? Probably LA they've got Lamar, OF, Tyga and Schoolboy Q.
Cole, Sean, Drake, Gibbs, Meek, krit, ace hood, wiz, lamar, Minaj, Jay Elect, lil b, wale, waka, french are all from different cities all across the map and they are probably the hottest new rappers.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:childplease:
Cali has been had it's own sound.
Shoutout to :
Jay Rock
Nippsey Hussle
Kendrick Lamar
Ab Soul
School Boy Q
Tiron
Droop-E
Hopsin
Whole Odd Future camp
U-N-I
Lil B
TiRon
Blu
Dom Kennedy
all that cali ish :yes:

As for NY though why don't y'all get behind dudes like
Mr Muthafvckin Exquire ?

Or
SkyZoo ?

Someone already posted Joey Bad@$$
NY has dope rappers but I don't see y'all riding for them like dudes would ride for J. Cole or Kendrick lamar.
Oh and whoever said $pitta sounds like he's from LA you must not have any fam from Lousianna or Mississippi because his accent is extra thick, couldn't mistake him for an LA dude at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

:childplease:
Cali has been had it's own sound.
Shoutout to :
Jay Rock
Nippsey Hussle
Kendrick Lamar
Ab Soul
School Boy Q
Tiron
Droop-E
Hopsin
Whole Odd Future camp
U-N-I
Lil B
TiRon
Blu
Dom Kennedy
all that cali ish :yes:

As for NY though why don't y'all get behind dudes like
Mr Muthafvckin Exquire ?
Mr. Muthafukkin' eXquire - Huzzah - YouTube
Or
SkyZoo ?
Skyzoo - My Interpretation - Official Music Video - YouTube

Someone already posted Joey Bad@$$
NY has dope rappers but I don't see y'all riding for them like dudes would ride for J. Cole or Kendrick lamar.
Oh and whoever said $pitta sounds like he's from LA you must not have any fam from Lousianna or Mississippi because his accent is extra thick, couldn't mistake him for an LA dude at all.
Not his accent, his musical style. Asap doesn't sound like he comes from Houston either, he's got a New York accent.

And you named a bunch of Cali artists, firs I thought we were discussing cities.
Second I've not got a clue about who half of these cats are, I can't hear that Schoolboy Q is from Cali I thought he was from New York with Asap Rocky. And I can't hear that Kendrick, OF or Ab-soubl are from Cali.

shyt sounds New York as fukk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not his accent, his musical style. Asap doesn't sound like he comes from Houston either, he's got a New York accent.

And you named a bunch of Cali artists, firs I thought we were discussing cities.
Second I've not got a clue about who half of these cats are, I can't hear that Schoolboy Q is from Cali I thought he was from New York with Asap Rocky. And I can't hear that Kendrick, OF or Ab-soubl are from Cali.

Tyler The Creator - Yonkers - YouTube
shyt sounds New York as fukk.

I think all of their music sounds different enough from the rest of the country's to be considered a regional "style". And the folks in this thread are also clearly discussing regional differences.
Tyler's stuff (not the entirety of OF) doesn't really sound like anything coming out of NY RIGHT NOW.
Does Section.80 sound like something from the ATL ? From Minnesota ? From The Bay ? From Detroit ? From the DMV ? No.
Hopsin's sh1t is heavily influenced by production on the west, dude does Hyphy,G-Funk, hell even Jerking production. Lol :yes:
Dom Kennedy ? Straight CALI :yes:

The West, South and MidWest All have identities that clearly fit them.
And if we're talking about "Where the artist sounds like he's from" then wouldn't ASAP sound like he's from Houston ? Or Cali ? I mean Clams did start with Lil B, a west coast rapper.

The differences are getting smaller obviously since the advent of the internet but I think the local scenes are still very "different".
I mean Joey Bad@$$ sounds more "NY" than ANYBODY in my list, as he should.
So does Skyzoo.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Insensitive- part of it simply has to do with NY not being cool with having their own scene and by that I mean, LA got their own scene and they don't give a fukk whether other spots like it or not. The Bay Area has their own local scene. Rappers in ATL cater first and foremost to people in Atlanta. Same with Houston. Same with Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. One of the worst things you can say to a NY rapper is that he's local because the way they look at it is like nobody outside of NY gives a shyt about what they do. They make music that they hope appeals to everyone because the style of music that's synonymous with NYC doesn't pop off anywhere else now, so the guys that do mostly NY hip-hop (like SkyZoo, like Uncle Murda, etc.) never blow up. To them, they're cool with that, but NY rappers wanna set loftier goals. NY cares too much about how the rest of the nation feels about the shyt they put out.

Daps
NY rap isnt dead just yet.

action-bronson-terry-richardson-0.jpg

joey-badass.jpg

tumblr_ltl7p6EAXd1qba77vo1_500.jpg

We have dudes like Action Bronson, Joey Badass, and Exxquire doing their thing.
These guys arent talked about much because Hot 97 is dead. Thats why people think NY rap is dead. Because Hot 97 used to be where you had to get ur song on. Remember when people used to drop tracks ont eh radio and ask u if they were hot or not? As soon as labels started giving these stations a lil paper to play songs over and over, it killed the NY rap scene. People from Cali tell me how much diversity they hear, meanwhile in NY they play the same songs every single day 10 times a day. And its never NY artist. They played The Don once and played a Tyga Drake and Wayne song about 15 times. Payola is a bytch in NY for sure.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
We have dudes like Action Bronson, Joey Badass, and Exxquire doing their thing.
These guys arent talked about much because Hot 97 is dead. Thats why people think NY rap is dead. Because Hot 97 used to be where you had to get ur song on. Remember when people used to drop tracks ont eh radio and ask u if they were hot or not? As soon as labels started giving these stations a lil paper to play songs over and over, it killed the NY rap scene. People from Cali tell me how much diversity they hear, meanwhile in NY they play the same songs every single day 10 times a day. And its never NY artist. They played The Don once and played a Tyga Drake and Wayne song about 15 times. Payola is a bytch in NY for sure.

It's like that everywhere. They'll throw some lil mixshow shyt in once in awhile but 9/10 you're gonna hear Drake/Wayne/Tyga/Nicki/Big Sean/Kanye on the radio.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Insensitive- part of it simply has to do with NY not being cool with having their own scene and by that I mean, LA got their own scene and they don't give a fukk whether other spots like it or not. The Bay Area has their own local scene. Rappers in ATL cater first and foremost to people in Atlanta. Same with Houston. Same with Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. One of the worst things you can say to a NY rapper is that he's local because the way they look at it is like nobody outside of NY gives a shyt about what they do. They make music that they hope appeals to everyone because the style of music that's synonymous with NYC doesn't pop off anywhere else now, so the guys that do mostly NY hip-hop (like SkyZoo, like Uncle Murda, etc.) never blow up. To them, they're cool with that, but NY rappers wanna set loftier goals. NY cares too much about how the rest of the nation feels about the shyt they put out.

Then that's probably what NY needs, I'm sure a bigger scene would definitely help.
And the guy above is right, the majors definitely have their hands on damn near every radio station in the country.
It's the reason all of us know the same Wayne,Drake,Tyga etc. songs.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
NY has always been a leader that everyone else followed until the last 10 years or so. What NY needs is to start new trends. Since EVERYBODY is flossed out and rich now, go a different direction. How about a dude on some real life sh!t like "A Bentley? Nyqqas I'm happy if I got bus fare for the day!" And he's gotta have charisma, skills, and know how to make hot music, not just spit hot verses.

Someting new, something different.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

Then that's probably what NY needs, I'm sure a bigger scene would definitely help.
And the guy above is right, the majors definitely have their hands on damn near every radio station in the country.
It's the reason all of us know the same Wayne,Drake,Tyga etc. songs.

While there's truth to this, the stuff that New Yorkers typically listen to nowadays isn't that far removed from those Hot 97 playlists. Unfortunately, Hot 97 isn't a gross misrepresentation of what people in this city regularly listen to.