At first it was funny, but now its just SAD to see New York lack a rap identity

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Man, NYC needs another Biggie or 50 Cent to come up with a major buzz and with that classic NYC sound, couple of hit records and take over the game.

There's millions of people in this city, some of them gotta be talented and know how to rap, Whenever this subject comes up it reminds of the part in the Biggie biopic where diddy was saying how every region has a big star and NYC needs one, the same applies today.

The South has Wanye
The West has Game
Canada has Drake

NYC ????

NYC hip hop isn't just the same, I mean they even closed Beat Street. :flabbynsick:
The east has Jay-z and Nas lol.
And if the west has game, the east have 50, fab, Jada, Minaj that are basically on the same level.
They have Wale, Meek Mill and more on the come up as well.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
The east has Jay-z and Nas lol.
And if the west has game, the east have 50, fab, Jada, Minaj that are basically on the same level.
They have Wale, Meek Mill and more on the come up as well.

Jay Z makes euro music and Nas, GOAT alive rapper but I doubt he can create the hype that "Ready to Die" and "Get Rich or Die trying" had, the closet he came to hype like that is with IWW album, hes getting older and I doubt he cares about bringing NYC Hip Hop as a whole back to the forefront.

NYC needs a rookie up and comer to do it, I don't think a veteran rapper can bring NYC back.

Reason I mention Game for the west is because IDK of any other current west rappers, Cube, Dre and Snoop sort of fell back on rapping.

Other than Jay & Nas, the other east rappers is :flabbynsick:

Fab, Jada are mixtape rappers, Nikki Minaj is a pop artist, 50 :russ: his album is gonna drop a month from now, no single, no album title, no buzz, not even here on The Coli... Notice how Nas's upcoming album has its own thread with many replies... 50? No thread, I feel like I'm the only one that's gonna be checking for it lol.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree. Plenty of people/areas have a sound and are distinct to their area if you listen to them. Currensy has a sound and you can hear New Orleans in his music. Nipsey Hussle is very much Westcoast sounding in all his music. Kendrick Lamar doesn't sound like Odd Future which doesn't sound like anything else. Houston has its own distinct sound...which is how people are able to peg ASAP to it in the first place. Wale always shouts out the 'DMV' so I don't know how anyone could get confused on where hes from. Im not even a fan and I've heard him say it in his music a ton.

I did say generally. So yeah u gonna have exceptions

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:scusthov: at a nikka really saying wale is from the south. Fact is nobody really has a sound anymore. Everyone is the same generally speaking. Ross sound like a east coast nikka & asap sound southern.
Along with cole sounding like a east coast dude. Keefe like a southern rapper. But overall the sound is the same

Yeah, everyone kind of borrows from each other now, kind of diluting the "regional" sound. But NYC is the only one that really gets punished for it though.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
NYC had a great sound and should have stuck with it.

It's also dated and jazz and sample laced. shyt like that sample ruling against Biz Markie made it much harder to make complex multi-layered music. Honestly, the closest thing that kind of sound nowadays are the people that do beats for Mac Miller and Wiz Khalifa.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn i didnt know styles jada ghostcace rea nas mobb deep bumpy knucks oc ag roc marciano and countless others stopped making music or do u mean commercially?

Jards

All Star
Daps
Man, NYC needs another Biggie or 50 Cent to come up with a major buzz and with that classic NYC sound, couple of hit records and take over the game.

There's millions of people in this city, some of them gotta be talented and know how to rap, Whenever this subject comes up it reminds of the part in the Biggie biopic where diddy was saying how every region has a big star and NYC needs one, the same applies today.

The South has Wanye
The West has Game
Canada has Drake

NYC ????

NYC hip hop isn't just the same, I mean they even closed Beat Street. :flabbynsick:

:wtf::russ::usure::stopitslime:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Jay Z makes euro music and Nas, GOAT alive rapper but I doubt he can create the hype that "Ready to Die" and "Get Rich or Die trying" had, the closet he came to hype like that is with IWW album, hes getting older and I doubt he cares about bringing NYC Hip Hop as a whole back to the forefront.

NYC needs a rookie up and comer to do it, I don't think a veteran rapper can bring NYC back.

Reason I mention Game for the west is because IDK of any other current west rappers, Cube, Dre and Snoop sort of fell back on rapping.

Other than Jay & Nas, the other east rappers is :flabbynsick:

Fab, Jada are mixtape rappers, Nikki Minaj is a pop artist, 50 :russ: his album is gonna drop a month from now, no single, no album title, no buzz, not even here on The Coli... Notice how Nas's upcoming album has its own thread with many replies... 50? No thread, I feel like I'm the only one that's gonna be checking for it lol.

Jay-z makes Euro Music like American Gangster, D.O.A., Real as it gets, Watch the throne, Murder to excellence and Wayne, Drake doesn't. Game has Ready 2 die buzz but Nas doesn't, Fab is mixtape rapper but not Game. The Game has been on a major label for 8 years, Wayne on cash money for 14 years, Drake is the only new comer you mentioned and he's not even from the states.

You're not making any sense at all.

And what about Meek, Wale, Wiz, Mac Miller? They are all from the east?

MaddGame

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Ab-Soul, Jay Rock, Nipsey Hussle, Schoolboy Q, Kendrick Lamar, Fashawn and Evidence are all west coast (I think) and all dope!

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Jay-z makes Euro Music like American Gangster, D.O.A., Real as it gets, Watch the throne, Murder to excellence and Wayne, Drake doesn't. Game has Ready 2 die buzz but Nas doesn't, Fab is mixtape rapper but not Game. The Game has been on a major label for 8 years, Wayne on cash money for 14 years, Drake is the only new comer you mentioned and he's not even from the states.

You're not making any sense at all.

And what about Meek, Wale, Wiz, Mac Miller? They are all from the east?

Yes, AG & DOA, Empire State of Mind, Lost ones, is not euro music, but most of Jay's post black album music doesn't have that NYC vibe that this his albums from 96 - 03 had.

I never said Game has Ready to Die buzz in 2012, I live in NYC and I don't really check for West Coast rappers other than the ones from the 90s (Yes I know Game is not from the 90s and blew up in 2005). I don't know who the fukk is hot over on that side of coast. I just assumed it was Game so I guess you got me there, didn't know most consider him a mixtape rapper though.

I mean NYC doesn't have a 50 Cent circa 2003 - 2005, dude was running Hip Hop back then. Or even Jay Z/DMX back in the late 90s.

As for them other dudes you mentioned, I don't know any of them other than Wiz, and isn't he from Pittsburgh? I'm talking about rappers from NYC.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
NY is the prolly the most pathetic out of all them major cities.

They got the 55 year old rappers and DJ's running around not putting ANYBODY on talking how "back in the days son, son, the Tunnel, oh man, let me tell ya son" and similar "we gettin old aint we" type of talks

This is what I'm talking about. Ultimately I blame Flex for this. Back, in the days, it was THE DJ who introduced you to new music from different artists. I remember when Hot 97 used to have to battle of the beats. They would play a Smooth Da Hustler song and Alcoholic (I know they're West Coast) song. And, then it was up to the listeners to pick the winner. And, this how artists were getting there break, by underground, radio, and party DJs breaking their records.

You would think it be good business to continue breaking records to advance the culture, but no these dinosaurs want to stay in power forever and not move on.

You mean to tell me in this big ass Metropolis there's no talented good young DJ, producer, or rapper.