"You Are Too Light To Be African", "You Don't Look African"

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
Same situation as you and this really started happening ever since I came to college.

My Chinese sociology tried to be slick and assume I had a white parent in front of the class, I told her I waa Nigerian.

The funny thing is that African students don't think I'm African until I tell them. I just learned that my accent is nonexistent to them and apparently I don't look African

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where did I say that?

Man I swear some of you nikkas in this thread lack basic reading comprehension.

I clearly stated full AAs like Keri Hilson and Beyonce represent the avg AA more than that half-African actress Sidibe. The operative word = more.

Their phenotypic traits are exponentially more common in AAs than Gaboury Sidibe's, in fact if all 3 did DNA tests Keri and Beyonce would actually cluster where AAs typically cluster, while Sidibe obviously would not because she's actually half-Senegalese and is actually connected to Africa.

The bottomline is some half-African woman does not represent AAs and any of African poster in here dapping that dumb shyt - would be the first to deny that any half-(insert country) land whale represents how they typically look in their homeland.

Even fat AA women typically do not look like Gaboury Sidibe. For the same reason lightskin and brownskin AA men do not typically look like some half AA-half native american nikka, are there full AAs who look like a half-Senegalese woman like Sidibe or a half-native american nikka? Yes, because we're one of the most diverse and unique ethnic groups on earth, but are they representative of the average AA? No.:yeshrug:
Breh, she look just like her mama who is AA.

Her look is really not that uncommon:yeshrug: I see just as many girls with that look (regardless of weight) as keri/beyonce

Why do I need to use the Internet when I have friends and family from the Continent? Nobody has this goofy ass convo in real life.
:mjlol:

Like I said someone giving you their name will tell you their ethnicity.
Nah we do. Sometimes people can tell what part w. Africa another person is from just off their physical characteristics. Name and accent are obvious dead give aways.
Black is Black but it is diverse.

That said, Dominicans definitely have phenotypes you usually don't see in AAs vice versa.

Dominicans look like light skin AA or biracial people to me

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
The last that I checked and I will check again, but most Nigerians during the slave trade ended up in the Caribbean and in South America. We know that because of their cultural influences in places like Cuba.

The cultural influences of African Americans point to them being heavily descended from the Mandingos/Mende/Fulani/Wolof and other people from in and around Senegal, Mali, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea-Conakry, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast and Northern Ghana. There were slaves from other places as well like in areas in and around Nigeria, Cameroon, Congo, Angola, Mozambique and Madagascar; but African Americans tended to be more from the Mandingos/Mende/Fulani, etc.

I realize that alot of Fulani eventually moved East towards Nigeria, but originally they were in the lands of the Mandingos and those groups as well as others like the Wolof and Kru threw each other into slavery and many were taken to the USA.
I noticed that ALOT of Nigerians act as if African Americans don't have culture because they don't see aspects of THEIR culture in us.
I had to tell of few of the Nigerians chicks on LSA we come from a wide range of central, western African tribes!
You can't force us into one African group culturally or genetically!

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
I'm not sure if you misunderstood what he said or misread it accidentally but, he clearly stated that Stephen curry has roots in Virginia(and other parts of the south)and didn't say anything about the average AA looking like him there. He also didn't claim north Sudan, he simply stated that area was as genetically diverse as our ethnicity when it comes to range. Also how do you consider us denying our heritage by us claiming mandinka, sahel etc when those regions are apart of our DNA?:dahell:

No, the guy has no clue about what he's talking about. African Americans are an admixture of West/Central Africans and North Sudan is basically an admixture of Nilotic and Arabs with the Afro-asiatic marker that Arabs carry. So, what range is he alluding to, apart from the fact that he's Arab? It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. Only a smart-dumb c00n would even make that comparison. And when did African Americans start having Nilotic admixture?

Also, he said Steph Curry has roots in Virginia and people with roots Virginia, Maryland et al. look different from the ones in the deep South. And what he's trying to do there is indirectly say that people from the deep South look more African, hence I cited Kam Chancellor and Mike Vick who're from Virginia and look like people from the deep South. And you can't tell me that both don't look more West/Central African than a lot of Africans.

@IllmaticDelta is a c00n.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
You are absolutely right she looks like her mother.

latest

Alice+Tan+Ridley+16th+Annual+Screen+Actors+R9fnoMSk8Bvl.jpg

Splitting image, i may say.
I have no Problens claiming Gabby as an African American woman.

We come in multiple shades it's possible to be dark chocolate and still be very much so African American!

Last edited:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
@kayslay

I'm British Nigerian and a part of a larger group called, 'Black British' - the new bastion of black diaspora since according to Prof. @IllmaticDelta , y'all are from North Sudan. You might also need to change your name to Arab Americans and join the Arab league like your cousins in North Sudan.

@IllmaticDelta

I see you avoided this:

These results were confirmed in the estimation of IA by using the program frappe (also in Figure 1). The amount of European ancestry shows considerable variation, with an average (± SD) of 21.9% ± 12.2%, and a range of 0 to 72% (Table 1). The largest African ancestral contribution comes from the Yoruba, with an average of 47.1% ± 8.7% (range, 18% to 64%), followed by the Bantu at 14.8% ± 5.0% (range, 3% to 28%) and Mandenka at 13.8% ± 4.5% (range, 3% to 29%). The contributions from the other three African groups were quite modest, with an average of 1.7% from the Biaka, 0.5% from the Mbuti, and 0.3% from the San. In the bar plot of frappeestimates, individuals (vertical bars) are arranged in order (left to right) corresponding to their value on the first PC coordinate. Clearly, this order correlates nearly perfectly with a decreasing proportion of European ancestry (Figure S1 in Additional file 1). Thus, the most important source of genetic structure in African Americans is based on the degree of European admixture.

^^
I'm done with the topic. However, I just want you to accept the emboldened and the fact that you came from my loins and carry my Y-chromosome around. After that, you can be a prodigal son and claim whatever you want - North Sudan, Chinese, Japanese etc., I don't care. I fathered you and your style. That's all. Don't avoid it again, son.

Off to better things.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No, the guy has no clue about what he's talking about. African Americans are an admixture of West/Central Africans and North Sudan is basically an admixture of Nilotic and Arabs with the Afro-asiatic marker that Arabs carry. So, what range is he alluding to, apart from the fact that he's Arab? It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. Only a smart-dumb c00n would even make that comparison. And when did African Americans start having Nilotic admixture?

wtfareyoutalking.jpg

Also, he said Steph Curry has roots in Virginia and people with roots Virginia, Maryland et al. look different from the ones in the deep South. And what he's trying to do there is indirectly say that people from the deep South look more African, hence I cited Kam Chancellor and Mike Vick who're from Virginia and look like people from the deep South.

the point of that post was that the south wasn't homogeneous and certain areas have different phenotypes and variety not that you couldn't find dark or lighter types, regardless of region. The South has many looks...

And you can't tell me that both don't look more West/Central African than a lot of Africans.

neither one looks distinctly "african"

:comeon:

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Also, he said Steph Curry has roots in Virginia and people with roots Virginia, Maryland et al. look different from the ones in the deep South. And what he's trying to do there is indirectly say that people from the deep South look more African, hence I cited Kam Chancellor and Mike Vick who're from Virginia and look like people from the deep South. And you can't tell me that both don't look more West/Central African than a lot of Africans.

@IllmaticDelta is a c00n.

You don't have to have the same admixture for there to be overlap. For example, I know mad Dominicans who get mistaken for Habesha.

My ex from Zimbabwe use to say N Sudanese folks reminded her of AAs. Heck, you have a Sudanese woman in here saying something similar.

shyt, I will let a fellow Nigerian tell you:

Being around them for some time I can can usually identify someone from Sudan. Sudani people tend to look AfrAm to me, but there is a slight hint of Arabic there. For the most part they can pass for AfrAm (though they usually have finer hair).

That said there are AAs who could not pass for N Sudanese and vice versa just like with any 2 groups.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@kayslay

I'm British Nigerian and a part of a larger group called, 'Black British' - the new bastion of black diaspora since according to Prof. @IllmaticDelta , y'all are from North Sudan. You might also need to change your name to Arab Americans and join the Arab league like your cousins in North Sudan.

@IllmaticDelta

I see you avoided this:

These results were confirmed in the estimation of IA by using the program frappe (also in Figure 1). The amount of European ancestry shows considerable variation, with an average (± SD) of 21.9% ± 12.2%, and a range of 0 to 72% (Table 1). The largest African ancestral contribution comes from the Yoruba, with an average of 47.1% ± 8.7% (range, 18% to 64%), followed by the Bantu at 14.8% ± 5.0% (range, 3% to 28%) and Mandenka at 13.8% ± 4.5% (range, 3% to 29%). The contributions from the other three African groups were quite modest, with an average of 1.7% from the Biaka, 0.5% from the Mbuti, and 0.3% from the San. In the bar plot of frappeestimates, individuals (vertical bars) are arranged in order (left to right) corresponding to their value on the first PC coordinate. Clearly, this order correlates nearly perfectly with a decreasing proportion of European ancestry (Figure S1 in Additional file 1). Thus, the most important source of genetic structure in African Americans is based on the degree of European admixture.

^^
I'm done with the topic. However, I just want you to accept the emboldened and the fact that you came from my loins and carry my Y-chromosome around. After that, you can be a prodigal son and claim whatever you want - North Sudan, Chinese, Japanese etc., I don't care. I fathered you and your style. That's all. Don't avoid it again, son.

Off to better things.

quote an old study with limited sample references from almost 10 years ago

In this study, we characterize the African origins of African Americans by making use of the high-density genotype data generated for 94 HGDP indigenous Africans from differing geographic and linguistic groups, including 21 Mandenka from West Africa, 21 Yoruba from West Central Africa, 15 Bantu speakers from Southwestern and Eastern Africa, 20 Biaka Pygmy and 12 Mbuti Pygmy from Central Africa, and five San from Southern Africa [18]. These subjects are used to represent the potential African ancestors of 136 African Americans recently genotyped in a GWA study of early-onset coronary artery disease (ADVANCE) [19]. In addition, we include 38 U.S. Caucasian subjects from ADVANCE to represent the European ancestors of the African Americans.

Characterizing the admixed African ancestry of African Americans

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
I noticed that ALOT of Nigerians act as if African Americans don't have culture because they don't see aspects of THEIR culture in us.
I had to tell of few of the Nigerians chicks on LSA we come from a wide range of central, western African tribes!
OK I'm curious now.You mind telling me what country most those Nigerian women come from that were saying that? :jbhmm:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta

I see you avoided this:

^^

Off to better things.

tenor.gif

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
^^^this

It's all just clowns looking for an excuse to throw shots. Groupie ass shyt.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
@im_sleep and @IllmaticDelta

Whoa! So, 2009 is outdated in science? Y'all aren't that bright. The both of you need to stick to giving opinions on rap music. Science/biology isn't your forte.

Genome Biology200910:R141
https://doi.org/10.1186/gb-2009-10-12-r141

© Zakharia et al.; licensee Biomed Central Ltd. 2009

Received: 27 May 2009

Accepted: 22 December 2009

Published: 22 December 2009

Now, let's look at the sample size:

The use of high-density SNP data for ancestral reconstruction presents some unique statistical and computational challenges. To this end, we previously developed analytic techniques for estimating individual ancestry (IA) from multiple populations (frappe), as well as for the reconstruction of ancestry blocks in admixed individuals (saber) by using data from more than 450,000 SNP genotypes [20, 21]. Here, we provide a unique application of saber to identify the ancestral origins of each of the more than 450,000 genotypes in African-American individuals, to reduce the analysis to those genotypes that are exclusively of African origin. We note that 58 of the ADVANCE African Americans were also participants of the CARDIA study and had previously been analyzed with 42 Ancestry Informative Markers [22]. We also used principal components analysis (PCA) to define the genetic structure, and in particular the African genetic structure, underlying African Americans. Another recent study used principal components analysis for the African populations of HGDP, but did not relate those results to African Americans [23]. To our knowledge, the analyses reported here represent the first effort to characterize the African origin of African Americans by isolating the African-derived genome in each African American individual.

450,000 Afram genotypes. That's a huge sample size and you can't get a better one than that.

@im_sleep I don't know you but based on how dumb your post is on this thread - you're definitely asleep and probably sleep-walking when you posted the dumb comment.

As for @IllmaticDelta , since we're both fans of Nas. Henceforth, I'm Olu Dara since I fathered you and your style. And you're Nasir with my Y-chromosome. So, when you see me, put some respeckt on my name, son. But you can always claim whatever you want.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
I have no Problens claiming Gabby as an African American woman.

We come in multiple shades it's possible to be dark chocolate and still be very much so African American!

Of course. I just don't agree with some AA saying she's fat and darkskin cause her dad is Senegalese.

As if I don't see a fat jawn like her all over america