Why The FUCC Is It SO Hard To Get Hired? (Have Any Of Yall Had This Problem?)

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Listen, I just finished college two weeks ago. Starting tomorrow I'm going job hunting again, so I won't be posting as much. Anyway, why is it so hard to get employed. Real talk, I filled out over 40 job applications and went to places personally and still CAN'T get hired. I never had work experience because I always focused on my studies. Have anyone else had a similar issue?

Put work in on your resume. Sell yourself, NO TYPOS. Old girl I was with had a lot of typos on hers and couldn't get a job. I cleaned it up for her and she got hired a couple weeks after that. Make sure there aren't any field-specifics for your resume. IT resumes are long and full of detail (head hunter gave me a sample that was 10 damned pages long). Normal resumes are a page long.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Work experience is more valuable than a degree. Are you proven? Tell us about a time? Give me an example when you? How do you plan to answer these question in an interview with no experience?:wtf:

The problem with that is the job market is still saturated with people that have degrees and experience. Jobs don't want to hire people with experience because they have to pay more. And with every passing year you have a new graduating class to compete with. My advice to college kids is to try and start a business while in college. Use what's left over from you financial aid to use as start up capital and take advantage of living in your parents crib while you still can.

Kids look at college as a buffer zone before going out into the "real world" and treat it like its the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th grade of high school but once you graduate college, you're already in the real world. And while you're finishing your 4th semester of electives a 2.5 student at your local high school has competed vocational training in HVAC or some other trade and just got a job off the rip.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Put work in on your resume. Sell yourself, NO TYPOS. Old girl I was with had a lot of typos on hers and couldn't get a job. I cleaned it up for her and she got hired a couple weeks after that. Make sure there aren't any field-specifics for your resume. IT resumes are long and full of detail (head hunter gave me a sample that was 10 damned pages long). Normal resumes are a page long.
This is the issue I wasn't filling out for IT these were normal jobs. Like fast food, retail, grocery store, and etc. Plus, I've sold myself numerous of times because I come off to people as a serious professional guy. Still, no luck :snoop:

bdwind01

Banned
Daps
U need to network and get to know people , most jobs are from a friend hooking you up imo

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Listen, I just finished college two weeks ago. Starting tomorrow I'm going job hunting again, so I won't be posting as much. Anyway, why is it so hard to get employed. Real talk, I filled out over 40 job applications and went to places personally and still CAN'T get hired. I never had work experience because I always focused on my studies. Have anyone else had a similar issue?
Well it's hard to land jobs without experience unless you interned somewhere. It's even harder when you are black. But let your fingertips keep applying. You youngsters have a better chance than me. I'm sure these cacs have a grand daughter or boy that is black. :mjlol:

Kobes Two Jerseys

8 or 24 best player of the era
Daps
Reppin
Fistful of jewels
That is your problem. I once had a lady at an employment agency basically tell me, "you need a job to get a job. Employers want someone who already has a history of recent work experience." Didn't matter that I already had several years experience, but what matters most is the past 6 months. So if you have no experience at all, man, good luck.

Kobes Two Jerseys

8 or 24 best player of the era
Daps
Reppin
Fistful of jewels
I will say I probably wouldn't even put my college degree on the app if I were looking for a retail job that didnt ask for it.
Good advice. They will be less likely to hire you knowing you will eventually leave once you find something better. I was turned down because I "had too much experience and we know you'll leave when you find something better".

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
In many cases you are fukked if you didn't do an internship before graduating. Employers still want experience.
I'm lucky enough that I manage a bunch of duplexes and they were paying me to finish school... Now that I've graduated I get to work on apts all summer then doing my volunteer work on campus after that when everything is quiet.... My majors were business mgmt, sports mgmt, hr mgmt and I'll be volunteering with the AD and Ast AD on campus leaning the ins and outs of being an AD as well as helping to run the sports facilities so I can have a job with a sports team

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I'm just gonna push harder and see what I ca get. So, I'll keep looking for basic jobs like retail and etc. I really need a shoe-in I won't quit. BTW my mother and I are gonna look in the Employment Paper today.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Excuse me if this has been mentioned already since I didn't read past the first page yet.
How do you not have a major? Do you have a degree in liberal arts?
i don't have a job lined up yet.

Internship
why not? And I think most retail stores have a section for education.
If its not a management role you do not need your degree on an retail job app unless they specifically ask. Having a degree wont make you fold clothes better, and will make hiring managers think "oh this person probably thinks they deserve higher pay, special treatment, etc etc" and retail companies dont have time for that