Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I think mainly because his specific brand of Cali music is vapid sounding even though it's executed expertly at a high level. If you aren't in Cali it won't resonate properly.

He's a beast though. Took me moving to LA to get back into his stuff after writing him off from like 1991-2004

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I liked quik but I think a lot of people try to force him in as one of the goat producers.

hes probably one of the best musicians hip-hop has ever seen, but his beats were NOT on the level. he'd be lucky to crack my top 50 producers.

also, he didn't have any star rappers in his stable. and he wasn't a particularly good rapper himself, unless he was dissin somebody. plus his sound was regional & niche.

I think his debut was great. cant remember anything from the 2nd album, but I think I liked it as well.......but I'm sorry, that "safe & sound" album disappointed me. and I don't care for anything I heard from him after that.

Why all the quik hate?

I don't see any quik hate.

just real talk.

dj quik is one of those artists that the internet likes to try to bump up in retrospect. just look at this comment below in the bolded:

Because it's 2017. This isn't some "you old!" argument either. I'm in my 30's and have no problem saying this.

Make no mistake, DJ Quik shut down the late 90's/early 2000's.

Can't act like he never had a run, because he was that guy for a minute. But like everything in music/trends, time always catches up.

when the hell was this?

yall are just making stuff up as yall go along.

quik shut down the late '90s/early 2000s????:heh:

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
when the hell was this?

yall are just making stuff up as yall go along.

quik shut down the late '90s/early 2000s????:heh:

Maybe it's regional, but dude was one of the bigger artists in Los Angeles during the 90's/early 2000's.

Rhythm-al-ism and Balance & Operations were on repeat on the radio waves.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
:dwillhuh:

Bugs...U cant be serious.

Do u not remember that scene in Paid In Full when Ace was playing early 80's Hip Hop music in the Cleaners and Pip said it was noise and Ace told him it was for his ears.

Hip Hop aint for no damn old folks. Thats the beauty of those Rza tracks. Thats raw Hip Hop :dj2:

...Get Grandma out the fuking room. :camby:

How in the fukk can you not say those Rza tracks fall in line with "Real music"....
Because real music is made from real instruments not a drum machine

Let's take it back to the beginning of hiphop. There was no such thing as "Hiphop Music" Rappers would Rap over music from different genres like R&B, Rock, Jazz etc

Quik was good at sampling old records but he really started to stand out when he started producing real music

He was really playing instruments, had a real guitar player and everything

There's a difference between Raw hiphop and Real music. I enjoy both

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
There's a difference between Raw hiphop and Real music. I enjoy both

larry smith could do both at once.

wheres his goat parade? dj quik can't carry smith's towel as a producer.

numbers don't lie
He did sell millions of records

But I still think he's more underappreciated than he is "bumped up" by heads on the internet

he moved units cuz his main markets in the west & southwest bought retail.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
what was the DJ Quik beat that stood out the most in the 90's??

:jbhmm:

Dre got numerous stand out beats...Eric Sermon too....Preemo, Havoc, Rza and Pete Rock.

What DJ Quik beat was the #1 over the top beat that hip hop acknowledged in the 90's cuz I dont remember. I'm talking about a beat Hip Hop audeinces acknowledged...Not something on an album that u have to be a fan to know.
born n raise..tonite... jus lyke compton...

hip hop audiences know quik...

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Didn't know east coast bias was so strong in 2017 :scust:
thats why quik isnt a bigger deal..

it doesnt have shyt to do with music..

i explained how quik got fukked off before...

profile records... a new york based label...was lookin 4 a new eazy/nwa...

like all labels do if somethin is makin noise in one region..n it becomes a hit..scoop up everything from that area...it happen with texas n the swishahouse era...

profile didnt realize what they had..until eazy came knockin at the door...

quik tried to put tweed and playa hamm on at profile..they told quik we already got enough of yall..

eazy was hangin with quik alot..in his ear...this when dre left...eazy knew he fukked up in the first place...kuz quik had his demo n undergrounds in ruthless offices...suge n d.o.c signed quik originally..but they didnt know what to do with artist at that time..

once dre was gone..eazy was tryin to reinvent ruthless.....quik was already to the sound above the law...n dre nem had begun doing..them nikkas was old..quik like 16-17 yrs old

profile passed on the penthouse playaz...eazy signed em..gave quik a couple millions to do the whole album...

the album went gold...profile...upset...wonderin how did they miss em..askin quik..did he know em...he said yea i brought them to u...u had enough of us remember...

they see quik...n eazy on the cover...quik dissin the east coast on the album...

they are hot...eazy then back doors em ..tryin 2 sign quik....they threaten to sue eazy

quik suspended...he couldnt work outside of profile records..he was stuck doin shyt for bullshyt artist...

suge gets his shyt together...

knew quik was hurtin not doin shyt..so he brought em in to do in house shyt ...help out on dogg food and other albums...if u own the dogg food cd..david blake appears randomly in the thank yous..

suge tries to buy quik out..profile didnt budge...safe n sound was suppose to been quik last album under his contract...him n 2nd ii none signed a 3 album deal...2nd ii none...was too active in the streets to even give a fukk anymore..so they got dropped..

suge some how muscled his way into bein the executive producer for safe n sound..he also had quik redo his publishin n credits for his album...u see dante blake all thru the album..

quik is also on the cover with a death row t-shirt on...

eb83ac485f36cb5ef577b17f7f80247e.jpg

if u had the og cover..u would see death row records safe and sound

u watch the safe n sound video..quik is in a murder was the case t-shirt...

u find a bigger photo of this

DJ_Quik-Safe_and_Sound-CSSC_copy__10813_std.jpg

u will see em in a death row murder was the case shirt...

quik suge n g-one hit a huge pay day on this album...he gave g-one the credit for dollaz n sense for the murder was the case sdtrk...n he ate good off the safe n sound release..

profile later shelved quik for 4 yrs...he had no work..

but suge kept em busy...thats why when he was at death row u saw david blake on everything

profile tried to hustle em one last time when clive davis bought out his contract at arista...

quik isnt a bigger deal because he was a victim of label politics...that kept him from workin with the likes of snoop dre etc...

2djuq6s.jpg

pretty sure if u ask diggs bout quik...he would tell u str8 up...what it is..