Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
...wait...why would u use some weird made up rule where real music is defined by not using a sample drum loop and act like Quiks history doesnt include that. LOL That would disqualify Quik as well.:heh:

That would also Disqualify Dilla and Q Tip.:stopitslime:

...U aligned Quik with a popular R&B band to prove some sort of point that had nothing to do with the fact that Quik had no stand out song like that in the 90's

Preemo got with Branford Marsalis to do the saxaphone thing and got Chaka Khan to do the vocals on this song.

Guru said "I want this as a single" and made it into a video..Now yes the song is a sample flip but Preemo has alligned his style with jazz and R&B, thats me showing he has a history of going outside of the Hip Hop genre.

But you want no samples.... Tho I totally disagree that not using samples defines "Real music" For argument sake of your weird made up rule I'l play along and say u got me with Preemo but come on homie....U know Rza got u with the no smaple thing

This song right here is Rza inventing like Coltrane

He gave Holocause his 1 memorable verse with this..

Both of those tracks sound like Classic Wu Tang shyt which means originality and both of them are Rza working the machine.

I dare you to say this isn't "Real music."

Them Rza joints u posted ain't real music its what old folks call "noise"
:mjlol:

Let's say there's a cookout with a bunch of 80 year old grandmas grooving to music. If you throw that Toni Tony Toni joint in the mix they probably wouldn't trip at all. But if u start bumping them Rza joints they would prolly say "turn that sh!t off" lol

But that's the beauty of hiphop. Producers like Bomb Squad and Rza can turn noise into art

Don't get me wrong Rza, Preemo and Quik are in my top 5

But back to you asking what's Quik's stand out beat?

Quik wasn't a "Boombap" beat maker so he might not have a song that stands out to a "HipHop head"

Quik gets props because he was a real music producer in the 90's back when it was rare in HipHop

Now you have Pharrell, Timbaland etc

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Because it's 2017. This isn't some "you old!" argument either. I'm in my 30's and have no problem saying this.

Make no mistake, DJ Quik shut down the late 90's/early 2000's.

Can't act like he never had a run, because he was that guy for a minute. But like everything in music/trends, time always catches up.

Without the mainstream (wifing Beyonce) and phenomenal business moves, Jay-Z would've been the same- hot for a generation or two and eventually fade.

Without us knowing what Jay-Z is about, no way he's as big as he is today after Kingdom Come, American Gangster, MCHG. Dude has played the game perfectly, and those others like DJ Quik, who are great artists, didn't go the extra step to survive with the next "phase" of time. At some point, you have to transcend your lane to still be relevant on that scale.

It's not just hip-hop, it's every single genre.

Last edited:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Let's say there's a cookout with a bunch of 80 year old grandmas grooving to music. If you throw that Toni Tony Toni joint in the mix they probably wouldn't trip at all. But if u start bumping them Rza joints they would prolly say "turn that sh!t off" lol

But that's the beauty of hiphop. Producers like Bomb Squad and Rza can turn noise into art

Quik wasn't a "Boombap" beat maker so he might not have a song that stands out to a "HipHop head"

Quik gets props because he was a real music producer in the 90's back when it was rare in HipHop

:dwillhuh:

Bugs...U cant be serious.

Do u not remember that scene in Paid In Full when Ace was playing early 80's Hip Hop music in the Cleaners and Pip said it was noise and Ace told him it was for his ears.

Hip Hop aint for no damn old folks. Thats the beauty of those Rza tracks. Thats raw Hip Hop :dj2:

...Get Grandma out the fuking room. :camby:

How in the fukk can you not say those Rza tracks fall in line with "Real music"...Thats Raw Hip Hop....Thats the best Hip Hop u gonna get. That 90's original Wu sound all over rawness. Are you fukking kidding me...When they look back hundreds of years to the rawest hip hop they will look at those 2 songs as Hip Hop rawness from scratch. How dare you compare that to R&Bish music and think they equal. Why does Rza have to do grandma music when he does Raw Hip Hop? 2 different things. Atreyu, Lamb Of God and KillSwitch Engage do raw metal but I'm not playing metal around grandma.

And that Tony, Toni, Tone song was produced by Quik and TTT....You reaching.:usure:

Op asked a question.....we have to be honest in answering.

Mediocre on the mic was one of the reasons. And his most memorable 90's song was a diss track on a Death Row project 1 year before it was on his favored album Safe N Sound. That diss song will always be more Death Row heart then anything else to me.

OP asked a question...I'm pointing the things out that were contributions.

Quik is a legend without a doubt. Me personally I fukk with his first 2 albums over any others due to the memories.....I've watched Safe N Sound become the Reasonable Doubt of the West Coast albums....years later people point at that one as his best....and I'm ok with that. Thats the album with the best Quiks Groove.

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love

fantastic post

Jacaveli The Don

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#NarcissistGang
I think he's a gangster at heart and don't want to be big in the fame sense. I was thinking about quik the other day though. That 24k magic track sounds like quik production wise and flow wise. Either he had his hand in the track on the low or he was some kind of influence for it. Does anyone know if there's a connection to mars and/or that track and quik?

One thing for definate was the vocoder at the beginning of '24K Magic' is Quik's, he let Bruno Mars borrow it

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most producers do that. Premier had group home

No. Quik had a STABLE of wack nikkaz with him in his prime.

Primo was working with Guru, Jeru, Big, Nas and Jay, so he wasn't stuck giving Group Home all his best work.

Quik didn't work with Snoop, Cube, Kurupt, or Game in their prime.
He has like one track with Xzibit during X's run, and never really got to lock in with Pac.
That's a big reason why Quik doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
LOL @ Safe N Sound

I was there....

Quik never had a "Come Clean" or "Kick In The Door" like Preemo.....Quik never had a "Shook Ones 2" like havoc....Quik never had a "Triump" like Rza. Quik never had a TROY like Peter Rock.

But Quik came out back in the late 80s and has been as consistent an artist as has ever done it. From his albums to his production to his work with AMG and Suga Free, etc.

He may have never had a breakout monster track like those you named, but he's had his moments. Texas always showed Quik love.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
When someone isn't a bigger deal, there's often a concrete reason why: and this is it - Quik is easily one of the most overrated producers ever.

Dude's voice is whatever and his beats are just malt-liquor funk derivatives. There isn't a single Quik beat I find addictive. Even though I don't mind his drums, his groove/rhythm is dull. His work just isn't left-field enough.

with that said, his shyt has a certain 'clap' to it and I read somewhere that he worked on "In Da Club" (which has a phenomenal kick and clap that sells the entire song). So I'll always give him props for that.