Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Daps
suicidal.. got his motorcycle...n was gunning it...not givin a fukk..

that didnt work...go back to the neighborhood..act a fool..nothin happen..

that shyt el rey happened...then he chilled

HAWTHORNE : Rapper Named as Driver of Car That Killed Boy, 5

him or too short will ever speak on the kids they have killed..but its out there...

I had also heard somewhere that he had never apologized for the incident, but given how messed up he is in the head, with the PTSD stuff; it's kind of understandable in a way. God forbid If I did some shyt like that, I couldn't face the family or what I did either. If you listen to a lot of his interviews, he always sounds kind of like he's having flashbacks, or that he keeps gettin drawn back to living in the past. Damn

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Profile Records having him by the balls halted his career..he was going to sign with Death Row but Profile still owned him....thats why his name in Death Row Production Credits is David Blake and not DJ Quik

And also the shyt that happened with Truth Hurts "Contagious"... got sued for that beat's sample i think and costed him lots of connections and money i think

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Also he never had a valuable protege like how Dre had Snoop, or Timbo had Ginuwine/Missy, or Pharrell had Timberlake.

But he's definitely top 10 producers regardless

This quik hate in this thread is crazy disrespectful

"he didnt have a Shook Ones or a T.R.O.Y."

what the fukk does that even mean

those can be reasons why he wasnt bigger in the mainstream but to use that statement as to why he's not a great producer is dumb

Daps
rhythmalism...is quik with his head str8 n he was away from the bullshyt...but his potna got killed by his nephew...n that album for some strange reason didnt turn out emotionally fukked up like the ones that followed...

Mausbergs death was like the final tipping point for him. You can even see in later interviews that followed that he was becoming more and more unstable.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
what was the DJ Quik beat that stood out the most in the 90's??

:jbhmm:

Dre got numerous stand out beats...Eric Sermon too....Preemo, Havoc, Rza and Pete Rock.

What DJ Quik beat was the #1 over the top beat that hip hop acknowledged in the 90's cuz I dont remember. I'm talking about a beat Hip Hop audeinces acknowledged...Not something on an album that u have to be a fan to know.
where i love quik got more known songs than all them nikkas. :manny:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
He's crazy and erratic
He gave a lot of good production work to mediocre talents
He doesn't have a ton of crossover hit records
Did I say he's crazy and erratic?
At times his sound is a little too musical for hip-hop heads
Yeah I heard he's much different than you'd expect him to be

Like a lil weird/crazy:russ:

Daps
Its like every time Quik was about to strike it gold, life threw another curve ball his way.

I think Quik should have branched out and worked with, or produced more R&B/R&B artist. That would have helped him crossover, break into becoming. more mainstream. I love his hard shyt, but Ive always thought his sound was far better suited for R&B.

His work just isn't left-field enough.
Exactly. There were times when he tried to brand out- Rhythmaslism, and Blackqout album were his attempts, but even those didn't quite push the envelope.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
what was the DJ Quik beat that stood out the most in the 90's??

:jbhmm:

Dre got numerous stand out beats...Eric Sermon too....Preemo, Havoc, Rza and Pete Rock.

What DJ Quik beat was the #1 over the top beat that hip hop acknowledged in the 90's cuz I dont remember. I'm talking about a beat Hip Hop audeinces acknowledged...Not something on an album that u have to be a fan to know.

On DJ Quik's debut album the song that EVERYBODY in the state of Cali was bumbin was Tonite. Radio, The Box....You heard that bassline KNOCKIN outta every single ride that passed by:ooh:, house parties, school dances. We all knew the words to not only that song but the ENTIRE tape. Not just mexicans:mjlol:Black folks, esp sistas, white boys, filipinos, everybody. That cut Tonite is a classic out here still to this day that gets radio play. Can't speak on what cats was playing everywhere else in the east or down south but in 91' that entire album was HUGE especially with the women, even to this day you STILL got sistas in they 40's playin these debut albums. Quik, AMG, and 2nd II None all got major spins out here on the radio and in the streets.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I had also heard somewhere that he had never apologized for the incident, but given how messed up he is in the head, with the PTSD stuff; it's kind of understandable in a way. God forbid If I did some shyt like that, I couldn't face the family or what I did either. If you listen to a lot of his interviews, he always sounds kind of like he's having flashbacks, or that he keeps gettin drawn back to living in the past. Damn
yeah quik fukked up...the one sister he could rely on..died..his brother never came around....ring leader of his sister klan was always jealous of him...because he was the only one bringin income to the household..due to who his dad was..

sisters wasnt about shyt...mom took what she could up and left went back to louisiana ..left quik there with the drama...hoes ..different rivals in n out the house...

the checks from his pops stop..due to his sister watchin the mail like a hawk..so he had to get in the street...start sellin dope...sisters boyfriends robbin em...kuz they jealous..

dope was hit n miss..so he started djin...him n hi-c...hi-c took the music shyt harder than he did...quik was in n out with dope n music..

until he moved with playa hamm...hamm made that nikka get a real actual job....kuz that nickle n dimin wasnt sittin right with his wife..

quik see the moves hi-c makin at the roadium n shyt..he get back in the mix...never look back..

if u seen the visualism dvd..u will see how fukked up his sisters are...its a part in the dvd..where a fight happens in vegas..

show ended..they headin back to limo...she in his ear sayin its ya fault...ya energy started this..etc...

how a nikka who make sdtrks to cook out..start a full blown fight..n it was his fault..

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
thats all that needed to be said :jawalrus:

'

I totally disagree.

You comparing R&B to hip hop and saying R&B is real music and hip hop isn't and fools are actually dapping that bullshyt

:snoop:

The 808 seperated hip hop from the other shyt yet u say it isn't real music...come on man, that goes back to what i said about that Paid In Full scene.

Not really. The only song considered a monster smash in your list may be the TROY. Shook Ones was big in rap when it came out. It wasn't crossover.

shyt Tonite, Just like Compton, and Safe and Sound alone got as much or more national radio play than anything you listed. So go take your little smirkie emojis and stick it up your ass.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
shyt Tonite, Just like Compton, and Safe and Sound alone got as much or more national radio play than anything you listed. So go take your little smirkie emojis and stick it up your ass.

None of them songs u mentioned got radio play in NYC....only on BET and The Box.

On DJ Quik's debut album the song that EVERYBODY in the state of Cali was bumbin was Tonite.

Yeah I already pointed out that Tonight is the closest thing to Quiks biggest 90's song but real talk...that shyt didnt get play like that over here in NYC....NWA did but Quik was more a Tim Dog punchline in 91. Down southe tho Quik was getting love..Quik was heavy word of mouth in the south. Sweet Black p*ssy was the song on everyones mouth.