Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
He's lowkey :yeshrug: . Massively talented, but for some reason, he just blends in the cut. Until you find out that song that you liked was produced by him :ohhh:

He's like one of those actors with steady , good work, but slips your mind until he's on screen

Antiquity

All Star
Daps
I think he wanted to stay underground, but at the same time you can tell he's jealous of Dre's success

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
I think it has to do with the fact that his sound is more influenced by Funk than it is Hip Hop. His lane is RnB judging by his beats. Quik's production reminds me of Roger and Zapp or Parliament. He makes laid back Funk music whereas his contemporaries such as Dre and Warren G know how to produce laid back Hip Hop tracks. I think Quik's natural element is 70's influenced RnB tracks. He's always been old-school.

I also think that his rapping voice was unmarketable. It was identical to Eazy's. He needed to come up with his own unique sound rather than using Eazy's.
We have to take into account that he is a literal nutjob :lolbron: He likely could've never been a big producer because the moment he gets along with someone he's ready to fight them. How can you be a big producer if you get along with absolutely no one? He's clowned Dre and Suge in interviews and then praised them in the next interviews. Remember when he accused Andre 3K of telling everyone that he had AIDS?
Damn I think you maybe right
I always felt his song kinda came off like over the top like fandango , that kinda music is gonna give you attention lol

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
Him and Suga Free had a show in riverside recently and there was only Mexicans and cholos:russ:

Heard it was a good show though

Young/Nacho\Drawz

...come on let's picture the possibility...
Daps
I think he's a gangster at heart and don't want to be big in the fame sense. I was thinking about quik the other day though. That 24k magic track sounds like quik production wise and flow wise. Either he had his hand in the track on the low or he was some kind of influence for it. Does anyone know if there's a connection to mars and/or that track and quik?
One thing for definate was the vocoder at the beginning of '24K Magic' is Quik's, he let Bruno Mars borrow it

:jbhmm: