Why Did Dreamcast flop?

TonyStarks

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Becuase of the PS stans who dismissed the Dreamcast for the :trash: PS2 launch and missed out on all these classics for a few years at least:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Phantasy Star Online
Shenmue 1 & 2
Power Stone 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Soul Calibur
Chu Chu Rocket
Skies of Arcadia
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
Samba de Amigo
Headhunter
Ikaruga
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
House Of The Dead 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Grandia II
Toy Commander
Ferrari 355 Challenge

:bow:

The Dreamcast and N64 were the GOAT consoles IMO

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Becuase of the PS stans who dismissed the Dreamcast for the :trash: PS2 launch and missed out on all these classics for a few years at least:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Phantasy Star Online
Shenmue 1 & 2
Power Stone 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Rez
Crazy Taxi 1 & 2
Soul Calibur
Chu Chu Rocket
Skies of Arcadia
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
Samba de Amigo
Headhunter
Ikaruga
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
House Of The Dead 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Toy Commander
Ferrari 355 Challenge

:bow:

The Dreamcast and N64 were the GOAT consoles IMO

The system sold well..it wasnt cause "ps Stan's" dismissed as garbage...some them tried to and got humbled tho...Dreamcast failed cause Sega used its last resources coming off mad failed projects in a row...it was too easy to play burned games on the system as well..which fukked up game sales...the system sales was just fine...PS2 made it R.I.P tho...it just couldn't compete...most of that was Sega's own fault tho and they will admit this themselves...they couldn't afford to lose...also Shenmue 2 was only released in Japan for the Dreamcast..it came here on the Xbox...

TonyStarks

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The system sold well..it wasnt cause "ps Stan's" dismissed as garbage...some them tried to and got humbled tho...Dreamcast failed cause Sega used its last resources coming off mad failed projects in a row...it was too easy to play burned games on the system as well..which fukked up game sales...the system sales was just fine...PS2 made it R.I.P tho...it just couldn't compete...most of that was Sega's own fault tho and they will admit this themselves...they couldn't afford to lose...also Shenmue 2 was only released in Japan for the Dreamcast..it came here on the Xbox...

:mindblown: I forgot about that. We got Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast in the UK with the original Japanse voice actors unlike Shenmue 1 which had the annoying US dub. :deadrose:

Judging from peoples posts on here, it sold better in the US than the UK. Only knew one other person at school who had a Dreamcast (who happened to be a girl :leon:). All the other kids were waiting for the PS2 and shytting on the Dreamcast without even playing it :beli:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
:mindblown: I forgot about that. We got Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast in the UK with the original Japanse voice actors unlike Shenmue 1 which had the annoying US dub. :deadrose:

Judging from peoples posts on here, it sold better in the US than the UK. Only knew one other person at school who had a Dreamcast (who happened to be a girl :leon:). All the other kids were waiting for the PS2 and shytting on the Dreamcast without even playing it :beli:

Damn I ain't know it was like that in the UK..lol

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tbh even though I think the PS2 was the GOAT console, I believe the Megadrive/Snes era to be the GOAT gaming era. Both consoles were the shyt and had so many classic games between them

my top 5 consoles i've owned or played are

1. PS2
2. Megadrive
3. PS1
4. SNES
5. N64

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL

yes I actually should c/s this

I only saw 2 people ever with a dreamcast, a girl cousin of mine and one of my hood cousins family who used to get all the new consoles as soon as they came out and just used to bootleg games...and all of my family (over 50 cousins) have gamed heavily all of our lives

the dreamcast barely existed to me...I went n64 to PS1 straight to PS2

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
yes I actually should c/s this

I only saw 2 people ever with a dreamcast, a girl cousin of mine and one of my hood cousins family who used to get all the new consoles as soon as they came out and just used to bootleg games...and all of my family (over 50 cousins) have gamed heavily all of our lives

the dreamcast barely existed to me...I went n64 to PS1 straight to PS2

U went from N64 to PS1 and not the other way around?..what game made u finally get the PS1?

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
U went from N64 to PS1 and not the other way around?..what game made u finally get the PS1?

final fantasy 7 :manny:

I mean, the playstation had been around me from its launch with fam having it etc and my parents didn't have money to get me a new console until the N64 was about to launch so I got that. But after watching my older cousin play FF7 and seeing all the cutscenes etc my 9-10 yr old ass was like :leon:

tbf it was the best gaming decision i ever made cos I eventually got my PS1 modded and then

:mj::blessed:

:scusthov: at the sporadic nature of piff games coming out on the N64 and the price of the games

I remember Goldeneye still being £60 (around $85) two years after it came out :why:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
final fantasy 7 :manny:

I mean, the playstation had been around me from its launch with fam having it etc and my parents didn't have money to get me a new console until the N64 was about to launch so I got that. But after watching my older cousin play FF7 and seeing all the cutscenes etc my 9-10 yr old ass was like :leon:

tbf it was the best gaming decision i ever made cos I eventually got my PS1 modded and then

:mj::blessed:

:scusthov: at the sporadic nature of piff games coming out on the N64 and the price of the games

I remember Goldeneye still being £60 (around $85) two years after it came out :why:

Yea man..It was the best decision u ever made...N64 was basically as my side system for the great exclusives that dropped on it...PS1 was where it was at tho..lol...I loved both tho but if u ain't have PS1 u legit missed out...Nintendo was very fortunate they exclusives was as good as they were cause they made TERRIBLE decisions that gen...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Son..my dude compared the SNES is comparable to the Wii in terms of "kid shyt"..which is why he ain't fukk wit it..number one..I know dudes age..he's not old enough to even feel that way at the time..I said from the jump..if he only fukked wit the Genesis...and the sports games n such..that's perfectly fine...but just cause that's what HE was fukkin wit when he was young dont mean on an overall level he can shyt on the other joint and dismiss it as "kid shyt"..there's one thing to say it wasnt marketed as mature..and the other to say it was kid shyt...cause it wasnt...seeing that some of the most popular games played by adults at the time was played on the SNES...Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2..and I loved Fifa by the way...lol..I made a trade wit my homeboy for that game...

there was a song out during the GENESIS ERA titled "age aint nothing but a number".

i didn't pay it any mind in real-time, but looking back, half of my tru peers were 2 to 4 years older. most of the friends I had that were actually my age were on my teams. i honestly couldn't relate to 90% of the kids in my classes before 5th grade. and i dreaded the months that i had to go to after-school day care in 1st & 2nd grade.

so yea, im qualified to say that the genesis made the SNES look like kid chit........the same way that the PS1 made N64 look like kid chit.:steviej:

Those games wasnt corny fam...and the genesis version of Aladdin was so much better than the SNES version it was ridiculous..lol...u got a sword and the animations was better...SNES stepped it back up wit the Lion King tho..these were great games..not kid games but great games in general...and hard as fukk...especially the Lion King..like I said..things was different then than they are now...those games were no more corny than playing Sonic or Mario...son get some emulators and put both full catalogs of games..and u will see exactly what I'm talkin bout..genesis was marketed as more mature but the SNES was NOT looked at the way the Wii is looked at in comparison..that's just not true...this is why I'm sayin if u only played certain shyt u can't speak on that or make that broad of a statement..u literally didnt experience over half of the games...on both systems..lol...man I still got game magazines from that era put away somewhere...I remember my friends used to call my crib and I used to give them all the codes n shyt...lol..

im not taking away from the quality that the games may have had. its just not something that you would brag about playing.

and yes, i experienced a good amount of the games you listed yesterday. some of them i didn't enjoy at all. others were cool for playing at somebody else's house but not what i would waste gift opportunities on - which is how i viewed the SNES system in general aside from a few games.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
there was a song out during the GENESIS ERA titled "age aint nothing but a number".

i didn't pay it any mind in real-time, but looking back, half of my tru peers were 2 to 4 years older. most of the friends I had that were actually my age were on my teams. i honestly couldn't relate to 90% of the kids in my classes before 5th grade. and i dreaded the months that i had to go to after-school day care in 1st & 2nd grade.

so yea, im qualified to say that the genesis made the SNES look like kid chit........the same way that the PS1 made N64 look like kid chit.:steviej:

im not taking away from the quality that the games may have had. its just not something that you would brag about playing.

and yes, i experienced a good amount of the games you listed yesterday. some of them i didn't enjoy at all. others were cool for playing at somebody else's house but not what i would waste gift opportunities on - which is how i viewed the SNES system in general aside from a few games.

No ur not qualified to say that...u ain't the only one who had older cats around him...i exclusively hung out wit cats 3 years older cause my older cousin was like my best friend...and u never been in a crib that a bunch of adults was arguing over Street Fighter 2?..SNES wasnt marketed as mature as Sega was..but it wasnt kid shyt...period...there's literally no other way around it..ur wrong my g..lol..some people would say playin videogames at all was kid shyt...so stop the b.s...it's not like PS1 vs N64 either...N64 was the first system Nintendo damn near lost touch with the overall gaming crowd..luckily they had shyt like Goldeneye..Perfect Dark..Ocarina of Time and Conkers etc..plus N64 didn't have as many games overall as PS1 did...but SNES prolly had MORE games than Sega did..ur not lookin at the shyt in terms of the gen..ur lookin on some hindsight shyt...and even now..there's more games on the SNES that stood the test of time...stop making these comparisons fam cause its not working..lol..Sega had it in the beginning but by the middle of the gen it was a wrap fam...lol

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea man..It was the best decision u ever made...N64 was basically as my side system for the great exclusives that dropped on it...PS1 was where it was at tho..lol...I loved both tho but if u ain't have PS1 u legit missed out...Nintendo was very fortunate they exclusives was as good as they were cause they made TERRIBLE decisions that gen...

I do think though if N64 had disc based games and more 3rd party support it would've been the GOAT though. The ideas their developers had at that time were :ohlawd:

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I've been a Sega head since the Sega Master System. So I rolled with them until the end. I've had the Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast but never bought none of the add ons. The reasons I rolled with Sega because I always loved their games. Pretty much everything has been said about Sega already in this thread. They were definitely the innovators but they would not stick to their brands long enough to gain a real audience. Saturn was the first system that had online play with the NetLink adapter you could also surf online with it as well. I was using that before I had a computer.

Remember Sega.net that was Sega's dial up ISP which was developed from the ground up.

At the end of the day there were few reasons why Dreamcast flopped.

1. Sony paying developers to go PS exclusive.

2. EA deciding not to make games for it/3rd party support.

3. Sega financial issues and pulling the plug too early like they normally do with all their systems. Most companies like Nintendo/Sony made money elsewhere. Sega at the time only made games.

Sometimes I wish if Microsoft would of bought Sega when they had the chance to before Sammy bought them out. The only reason I bought the OG XBOX was because I wanted to play Shenmue 2 and that XBoX exclusive at the time. The only reason I bought XBOX 360 was for Virtua Fighter 5. If SEGA came out with another system today I would probably still buy it, lol.