Why Did Dreamcast flop?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I've been a Sega head since the Sega Master System. So I rolled with them until the end. I've had the Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast but never bought none of the add ons. The reasons I rolled with Sega because I always loved their games. Pretty much everything has been said about Sega already in this thread. They were definitely the innovators but they would not stick to their brands long enough to gain a real audience. Saturn was the first system that had online play with the NetLink adapter you could also surf online with it as well. I was using that before I had a computer.

Remember Sega.net that was Sega's dial up ISP which was developed from the ground up.

At the end of the day there were few reasons why Dreamcast flopped.

1. Sony paying developers to go PS exclusive.

2. EA deciding not to make games for it/3rd party support.

3. Sega financial issues and pulling the plug too early like they normally do with all their systems. Most companies like Nintendo/Sony made money elsewhere. Sega at the time only made games.

Sometimes I wish if Microsoft would of bought Sega when they had the chance to before Sammy bought them out. The only reason I bought the OG XBOX was because I wanted to play Shenmue 2 and that XBoX exclusive at the time. The only reason I bought XBOX 360 was for Virtua Fighter 5. If SEGA came out with another system today I would probably still buy it, lol.
Nintendo only made games and handhelds as well...it's just that Sega made terrible decisions early to mid 90s...all that add on shyt they did ended up being terrible..impractical and overpriced...the kinks were never fully ironed out..shyt barely had support..and what made it so bad..they would drop somethin...overprice it..than literally put out something else MONTHS later...see 32X..shyt was overpriced as hell and it was out while Saturn was right on its way...they messed up with the Saturn by making it a high quality 2D system and then turning around and tacking the 3D on at the last minute...which royally fukked them on the development side of things...Nintendo literally got saved by their handhelds and exclusives when the N64 came out...so they could've ended up like Sega was well with all the bad decision making from the mid 90s and up..such as Virtual Boy..backing out of their deal with Sony..making N64 cartridge based and fukkin up 3rd party support...Dreamcast was ahead of its time and its sad that they fukked up so much by the time they dropped it that there was a long shot for it to succeed...I would buy another Sega system as well if it dropped..it's like a wish of mine that they would drop a Dreamcast 2 HD or some shyt..lol

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U dont remember fam?...Nintendo tried to make a disc drive for the N64..N64DD...it just didnt go anywhere...lol

oh yeah, but that was some tacked on some hindsight shyt so it doesn't really count to me. When somethings an add on (like the 32x was to stave off the competition from the PS1) its never gonna catch on because developers know that not every n64 owner is gonna have one so why risk the potential sales that your game could have :yeshrug:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
oh yeah, but that was some tacked on some hindsight shyt so it doesn't really count to me. When somethings an add on (like the 32x was to stave off the competition from the PS1) its never gonna catch on because developers know that not every n64 owner is gonna have one so why risk the potential sales that your game could have :yeshrug:

Yup..they fukked up by backing out of their deal with Sony and not making the system disc based from the jump...the cartridges took off loading times but it added on to the price of games and made games have less features...simple shyt like cg and real time cutscenes...

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup..they fukked up by backing out of their deal with Sony and not making the system disc based from the jump...the cartridges took off loading times but it added on to the price of games and made games have less features...simple shyt like cg and real time cutscenes...
explain fam?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
lol, why does Wacky always get himself in this predicament

anyway, say what you want, but SNES had some of the greatest games of all time

what predicament?

did you actually read & comprehend what was going on? or did you just get gitty when you saw someone arguing with me, like you always do?:whistle:

No ur not qualified to say that...u ain't the only one who had older cats around him...i exclusively hung out wit cats 3 years older cause my older cousin was like my best friend...and u never been in a crib that a bunch of adults was arguing over Street Fighter 2?..SNES wasnt marketed as mature as Sega was..but it wasnt kid shyt...period...there's literally no other way around it..ur wrong my g..lol..some people would say playin videogames at all was kid shyt...so stop the b.s...it's not like PS1 vs N64 either...N64 was the first system Nintendo damn near lost touch with the overall gaming crowd..luckily they had shyt like Goldeneye..Perfect Dark..Ocarina of Time and Conkers etc..plus N64 didn't have as many games overall as PS1 did...but SNES prolly had MORE games than Sega did..ur not lookin at the shyt in terms of the gen..ur lookin on some hindsight shyt...and even now..there's more games on the SNES that stood the test of time...stop making these comparisons fam cause its not working..lol..Sega had it in the beginning but by the middle of the gen it was a wrap fam...lol

already filed. this is how we got cool on here, iirc.

most of the cats i were around were either alpha males or troublemakers. that might be a difference. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, i think the difference is that i was never into a lot of that type chit anyway. even before i knew anyway of them. i actually recall being depressed in after-school day care before i even joined a team, now that i think about it. so by the time genesis hit, it was a no-brainer anyway.

have i ever seen adults arguing over street fighter?? hell no. but i constantly saw niccas arguing over weed and in hindsight, i'm sure that some were subliminally arguing over coke at times.

i have a street fighter on genesis actually.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
what predicament?

did you actually read & comprehend what was going on? or did you just get gitty when you saw someone arguing with me, like you always do?:whistle:

already filed. this is how we got cool on here, iirc.

most of the cats i were around were either alpha males or troublemakers. that might be a difference. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, i think the difference is that i was never into a lot of that type chit anyway. even before i knew anyway of them. i actually recall being depressed in after-school day care before i even joined a team, now that i think about it. so by the time genesis hit, it was a no-brainer anyway.

have i ever seen adults arguing over street fighter?? hell no. but i constantly saw niccas arguing over weed and in hindsight, i'm sure that some were subliminally arguing over coke at times.
I'm talkin bout playin the game my nikka..not the extra hood shyt..lol...of course I seen that as well but that's neither here nor there..lmao..

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
explain fam?

They was supposed to make the system together...Sony even announced it CES but Nintendo fukked Sony over and backed out the next day to team up wit Phillips...Sony got pissed off and made the system 3d based and the rest is history...why u think the controller is so closely modeled after the SNES?...it was supposed to be a disc based super famicom...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I'm talkin bout playin the game my nikka..not the extra hood shyt..lol...of course I seen that as well but that's neither here nor there..lmao..

nah.

genesis was more synonymous with adults. and it was usually sports games being played. i cant recall much of the other games being big deals amongst them unless the adult was more of a gamer, which was kind of rare.

our whole argument is really just based off the fact that you don't want to admit that the genesis drew a more mature audience. im not saying that SNES was as kid-friendly as Wii or even as N64. im saying that it took a backseat to genesis amongst most adults, teens and kids like me. the same way N64 took a backseat to Playstation. and the same way the Wii is taking a backseat to 360/ps3.

and youre from the hood. you know more people had genesis.

sidenote: i have a street fighter game on genesis. i never liked street fighter anyway tho. but i know i was alone on that.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
what predicament?

the predicament of trying to act like you know what was going on, because you were around 'older cats'. it's the same shyt with the music. look at you, talking about you were around "alpha males or troublemakers". shyt is just corny

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
the predicament of trying to act like you know what was going on, because you were around 'older cats'. it's the same shyt with the music. look at you, talking about you were around "alpha males or troublemakers". shyt is just corny

its common knowledge actually. people came in here in agreement and said it better than i could. but you conveniently ignored all that.

how is it the same chit with music?:popcorn:

it sounds like youre mad about something. my posts tend to strike a nerve in you. sounds like a personal problem tho.:manny: again, maybe you have a problem with THE WAY that i say things, because i didn't actually say anything wrong or even inaccurate.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
nah.

genesis was more synonymous with adults. and it was usually sports game.

our whole argument is really just based off the fact that you don't want to admit that the genesis drew a more mature audience. im not saying that SNES was as kid-friendly as Wii or even as N64. im saying that it took a backseat to genesis amongst most adults, teens and kids like me. the same way N64 took a backseat to Playstation. and the same way the Wii is taking a backseat to 360/ps3.

and youre from the hood. you know more people had genesis.

sidenote: i have a street fighter game on genesis. i never liked street fighter anyway tho.
Of course most people in the hood had Genesis cause Genesis was the shyt especially in the beginning my nikka...most people I knew ended up with both...and I had 1 Street Fighter on Genesis as well..Special Champion Edition..the rest was undeniably better on the SNES and just cause u didnt mess wit Street Fighter don't mean the world wasnt...Street Fighter was big EVERYWHERE fam..from the hood to the burbs..from arcades to guess what?..the SUPER NINTENDO....Ur viewin shyt from a small box instead of the grand scheme fam...by the middle of the gen..all that "mature" themed Sega shyt didn't mean anything cause Nintendo let down the guards and let all kinda shyt come to the SNES..it literally became no contest aside from the people who had a blind allegiance wit Sega or people who just ain't give a fukk...

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
SF was fuct up on the Genesis if you only had the 3 button controller

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Of course most people in the hood had Genesis cause Genesis was the shyt especially in the beginning my nikka...most people I knew ended up with both...and I had 1 Street Fighter on Genesis as well..Special Champion Edition..the rest was undeniably better on the SNES and just cause u didnt mess wit Street Fighter don't mean the world wasnt...Street Fighter was big EVERYWHERE fam..from the hood to the burbs..from arcades to guess what?..the SUPER NINTENDO....Ur viewin shyt from a small box instead of the grand scheme fam...by the middle of the gen..all that "mature" themed Sega shyt didn't mean anything cause Nintendo let down the guards and let all kinda shyt come to the SNES..it literally became no contest aside from the people who had a blind allegiance wit Sega or people who just ain't give a fukk...

you responded too fast. how many gigs you got?

if you look back at my post, you'll see that i edited in that i was like the only one that didn't bang with street fighter. obviously, i edited too late. but that kinda makes most of this post a wash, but hey, that's my fault for not being clear. but yea, im not slighting street fighter at all. i understand that im in a minority there. and yes, champions edition is the name of it.

but as for the other stuff, i never had any problem with SNES. i enjoyed playing it, but i knew that it wasn't necessary for me to have both systems as genesis covered 95% of my gaming needs. there were always a few SNES games that i wished i had but it wasn't worth asking for a whole system. same with every other system that i didn't have.

meh, i knew people with 2 current systems but usually their libraries were lackin. i knew way more 1-system people. like way more. besides, i knew kids that didn't have any 16-bit systems at all, unfortunately.