Why Did Dreamcast flop?

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
aight so sega has a history of fukking up, something people in this thread didnt find necessary to bring up

errybody was hella hype for the saturn, a good console, an they (sega) said it was gonna come out in like a year, like that was the official release date, but then at E3 they decided to throw a curveball an release it in 4 months from that day, when it was supposed to drop way after that. All the game companies were pissed af cuz they didnt have time to make the games, and because it was a terrible business decision. EA was the most pissed an they decided to never make games for sega consoles again, along with some other top developers

this would prove to fukk sega over for ever, since the companies still didnt make games for the dreamcast. Its segas fault tho cuz they fukked up a few times, so naturally people were apprehensive about supporting them, even customers.

plus the saturn was hard as hell to program games for, so that mixed with the release date botch probably just made the developers say fukk it, since the PS1 was comin too an that shyt was real af

Thank GAWD Sega did this. If it wasn't for this move, then we wouldn't have 2K.:blessed:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
isn't 2k sports the same thing as the old sega sports company tho?

llt23

All Star
Daps
i bought a dreamcast off the strength of nba2k1. I saw it at my cousins house and i was like damn.......nba live looks like a joke.

copped it, also bought street fighter 3, capcom vs snk, and marvel vs capcom 2. the problem there was the controller was ASS for fighting games. especially street fighter. that trigger on the back was way too deep.

Then i copped Shenmue. that game was flames. That one supposedly is a reason sega went under it cost them mad bread.

And though i was a genesis kid i had 0 interest in the sonic games. no 2d? no go. I remember sega even ruined one of my christmases with sonic. i got sonic 3d blast, still got a pic of me holding the box next to the christmas tree mad hype. I played it, beat it in an hour, and was pissed. my first angry gaming moment n i was playing since nes.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You talking about Virtual Concept?

I have no clue honestly.

I just always wondered if the sega sports people that brought us games like Montana football were the same company as 2k sports which bring us the classics to this very day.

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I also remember my friend telling me that Saturn originally didn't have hardware to support 3d games, but they put it in last minute when they saw all the playstation games were 3d.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I have no clue honestly.

I just always wondered if the sega sports people that brought us games like Montana football were the same company as 2k sports which bring us the classics to this very day.
They used to make games for EA Sports on the SNES. Madden and NHL I think.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I also remember my friend telling me that Saturn originally didn't have hardware to support 3d games, but they put it in last minute when they saw all the playstation games were 3d.

Ur friend is right...that's why the shyt was so hard to develop for and the 3D games ran terribly compared to PS1...system was great for fighting games tho..

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I bug out that i actually had a Saturn and a Dreamcast....the shyt was like a deep intellectual divide for me...

me and all my family on the West side of Detroit had Nintendo products Game Boy, SNES, 64 ect.

all my fam on the East Side, my fathers side, had Sega products Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast and game gear...

shyt was like a culture clash...

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was going to play some dreamcast roms before my other hard drive died, and i forgot just how many great rpg's were on this system. the list is just incredible. even the other game titles were versatile. it's nothing like my ps3, where about more than 75% of my collection is first person shooters. as soon as i get it back up running, i'm going to start feasting. that system was something else.

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was the ambitious dime of that console generation. People (consumers and devs alike) were afraid to approach it and so we all missed out on it's potential.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Last edited by a moderator: